Reload this Page >

Help needed in Getting a IT Job

Help needed in Getting a IT Job

Old Nov 29th 2008, 2:02 am
Just Joined

krish_vamsi is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Help needed in Getting a IT Job

All

I have got my positive ACS assesment and I am preparing to submit my 175 with DIAC.. hope to submit it in another 10 days. next i hv to start my job hunt... i hv 8 yrs of experience in microsoft .net domain. Can some one guide me how to search for an IT job in australia online.... i hv tried in some of the australian job search websites.. but not getting much of response.. is there any specific sites that i need to look for ??
Old Nov 29th 2008, 3:19 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Help needed in Getting a IT Job

To be honest you are unlikely to get any response from agencies or employers until you have your visa and have moved to Australia.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 5:41 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by krish_vamsi
All

I have got my positive ACS assesment and I am preparing to submit my 175 with DIAC.. hope to submit it in another 10 days. next i hv to start my job hunt... i hv 8 yrs of experience in microsoft .net domain. Can some one guide me how to search for an IT job in australia online.... i hv tried in some of the australian job search websites.. but not getting much of response.. is there any specific sites that i need to look for ??
I tried this from the UK, even when I had my Permanent Residency, but the agencies are not interested until you can come in and meet with them. Unlike the UK, each agency that has put me forward for a role has wanted to meet me first.

Also, a few agencies have suggested that I look for a "lesser" role to get my first australian experience and reference. I have had 7 interviews in the last 6 weeks, and have ended up in a lesser paying role than I wanted, but its a start.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

peaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nice
Cool Re: Help needed in Getting a IT Job

get your VISA first & move to OZ...that is the first thing you must concentrate on..after that you can search for a job.

without a VISA no body is interested even thinking of giving you a job.

cheers,
peaceboy
Old Nov 29th 2008, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

Pietie is just really nicePietie is just really nicePietie is just really nicePietie is just really nicePietie is just really nicePietie is just really nicePietie is just really nicePietie is just really nice

I have the same problem; while I am waiting to get everything in order for my 175 visa, I thought I would try to find sponsorship for a 457 visa, so I nust have sent out literally hundreds of applications.

Most of the time I never even got a respone, or I got the generic "thank you for applying, will let you know" response, and then never heard a word again. I did, however, receive quite a few personal responses as well, mostly in cases where I applied directly to a company as opposed to applying via an online ad . Anyway, the response pretty much always was: "we really like you on paper, you have good experience, good qualifications and good references. If you were already in Australia, with a legal visa that would allow you to work, we would have at least invided you for an interview. Seen as though you are not in Australia, sorry but no go."

So it seems both you and I will bot have to take everybody's advice, get our visas and get on a plane.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Malikkhi is just really niceMalikkhi is just really niceMalikkhi is just really niceMalikkhi is just really niceMalikkhi is just really niceMalikkhi is just really niceMalikkhi is just really niceMalikkhi is just really niceMalikkhi is just really nice

By the way how is the IT market these days in OZ as compared to other countries like UK/USA etc. Moreover which tools & technologies are hot?

Regards
Malik

Last edited by Malikkhi; Nov 29th 2008 at 12:00 pm.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 6:17 am
Just Joined

ranerio is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MarkMC
I tried this from the UK, even when I had my Permanent Residency, but the agencies are not interested until you can come in and meet with them. Unlike the UK, each agency that has put me forward for a role has wanted to meet me first.

Also, a few agencies have suggested that I look for a "lesser" role to get my first australian experience and reference. I have had 7 interviews in the last 6 weeks, and have ended up in a lesser paying role than I wanted, but its a start.
Hey Mark,

What are your skills? I have sent a post today about my job hunting and I am willing to enrol in a " lesser" role, I have 7+ years experience in IT Project Management, Project Management Officer and several qualifications including SAP and a IELTS score of 8.0. As I have worked a lot with 1st and 2nd level support for the applications I have managed/gathered reqs I created a CV and cover letter stating this experience and have been applying for IT support positions.

I am in Sydney in a post graduate degree and have had little or no reply from the jobs I submitted for at seek, mycareer and jobserve.

Any help would be welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Ranerio Vieira
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 6:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pietie
I have the same problem; while I am waiting to get everything in order for my 175 visa, I thought I would try to find sponsorship for a 457 visa, so I nust have sent out literally hundreds of applications.

Most of the time I never even got a respone, or I got the generic "thank you for applying, will let you know" response, and then never heard a word again. I did, however, receive quite a few personal responses as well, mostly in cases where I applied directly to a company as opposed to applying via an online ad . Anyway, the response pretty much always was: "we really like you on paper, you have good experience, good qualifications and good references. If you were already in Australia, with a legal visa that would allow you to work, we would have at least invided you for an interview. Seen as though you are not in Australia, sorry but no go."

So it seems both you and I will bot have to take everybody's advice, get our visas and get on a plane.
Pietie,

Would you mind telling more about the companies you submitted these applications and got some feedback?

Regards,

Ranerio Vieira
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 7:48 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ranerio
Hey Mark,

What are your skills? I have sent a post today about my job hunting and I am willing to enrol in a " lesser" role, I have 7+ years experience in IT Project Management, Project Management Officer and several qualifications including SAP and a IELTS score of 8.0. As I have worked a lot with 1st and 2nd level support for the applications I have managed/gathered reqs I created a CV and cover letter stating this experience and have been applying for IT support positions.

I am in Sydney in a post graduate degree and have had little or no reply from the jobs I submitted for at seek, mycareer and jobserve.

Any help would be welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Ranerio Vieira
So you are currently studying for a Post Grad degree? So does this mean you are not looking for full time work?

All I can suggest is keep plugging away. things are very quiet at the minute and there are a lot of people looking for work.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 8:23 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

So you are currently studying for a Post Grad degree? So does this mean you are not looking for full time work?

All I can suggest is keep plugging away. things are very quiet at the minute and there are a lot of people looking for work.
Keep it up. Jan and early Feb are very quiet as Australia is in summer holiday mode.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 9:31 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Malikkhi
By the way how is the IT market these days in OZ as compared to other countries like UK/USA etc. Moreover which tools & technologies are hot?

Regards
Malik
I work for one of the largest employers of IT staff in Australia. We are currently in total lockdown as far as new recruits are concerned... NOTHING is 'hot' at the moment.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 9:38 am
Just Joined

Mark, I am attending a post graduate degree, a PhD at UTS, that's right. But I would like to work while attending the degree, it's a research only degree so I don't have much commitment of my hours to classes, but from the few responses I have had when I submitted my qualifications, is that they either would need to go on a contract for 3 months or more and/or to be available more than 20 hours a week.

I would not mind engaging in a 457 sponsored position, and it's been strange to be to be out of work for 4 months, since I have been always able to work even in a country with no "shortage of IT skills", namely Brazil, and my qualifications were always highly regarded.

I am attaching my experience/qualifications.

I have been looking since I arrived here, but with more effort since November, because my classes finished on November 14 and I can work with no hours restriction until my classes start again on March, but no success.
Attached Files
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 9:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I work for one of the largest employers of IT staff in Australia. We are currently in total lockdown as far as new recruits are concerned... NOTHING is 'hot' at the moment.
Quite sad to hear that, I have been looking for a position for the past 2 months or so, and I have 7+ years experience in IT , and mostly staff roles (Project Management Officer, Strategic Planning, CMMi consultant) and also Business Analyst. I hold a post graduate degree in Software Process Improvement and a large number of industry qualifications (SAP, ORACLE PL/SQL, ORACLE QUERIES, PMBOK) but it did not seem to help so far.

Thanks for the update.

Ranerio Vieira

Last edited by ranerio; Dec 22nd 2008 at 9:46 am.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

As others have said, if you are in the UK don't bother registering or contacting any recruitment agents they won't give you the time of day until you are actually in Oz and available to attend interviews/start work.

When you get here register with all the search engines - Seek, jobsjobsjobs, jobserve, mycareer etc - and send your cv to recruitment companies.

Don't be disheartened if you don't get any response, even an acknowledgment, it seems to be pretty normal to ignore you unless they have roles that you are an exact fit for. Same goes for any jobs you might actually apply for. In the main, you will not receive any acknowledgment of your application nor any notification that you've been unsuccessful.

It is extremely quiet at the moment due to it being the Christmas/Summer holidays plus the global economic recession (oooh I said the 'r' word). Things don't usually pick up until late Jan-early Feb apparently.

I've been job hunting since the start of November and am still looking.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

cool_archie is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Help needed in Getting a IT Job

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Why do you think "NOTHING is 'hot' at the moment", is it because of the Holiday Season in AUS or because of the Global Slowdown?

Regards,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.