Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help needed choosing an Automatic Pool Cleaner!!

Help needed choosing an Automatic Pool Cleaner!!

Old Sep 29th 2007, 12:31 pm
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold
Default Help needed choosing an Automatic Pool Cleaner!!

Just wondered what everyone is using and finding works well!!

We have an Orca Predator cost over $450 and we think is crap!! Doesnt seem to work properly been back to the shop loads of times, but as soon as it gets a tiny leaf or bug or whatever it blocks!!

So just wanted to know what everyone else is using and if it is any good before we go out and spend another mass of money on crap!!!

Also while on the point of pools, anyone any useful tips for keeping the bloody ducks out!!! Seems we have become the local meeting point for all ducks in the North East of Adelaide!!! Seems that the kids, OH and mental puppy chasing them isnt working!!! Its all good until they leave that little reminder they have been and believe me its not so little!!!!!!
Old Sep 29th 2007, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

pogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nice
Default Re: Help needed choosing an Automatic Pool Cleaner!!

Originally Posted by Sham Williams

We have an Orca Predator cost over $450 and we think is crap!! Doesnt seem to work properly been back to the shop loads of times, but as soon as it gets a tiny leaf or bug or whatever it blocks!!

So just wanted to know what everyone else is using and if it is any good before we go out and spend another mass of money on crap!!!

Also while on the point of pools, anyone any useful tips for keeping the bloody ducks out!!! Seems we have become the local meeting point for all ducks in the North East of Adelaide!!! Seems that the kids, OH and mental puppy chasing them isnt working!!! Its all good until they leave that little reminder they have been and believe me its not so little!!!!!!
someone told me that if you cut up your hosepipe into short lengths and leave a couple around the edge of the pool the ducks think its a snake and wont land, they will bugger of and s**t in someone else's pool.
Old Sep 29th 2007, 12:40 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Right now I'm the pool cleaner....so I'm watching this thread with interest. I'm hoping I'll get one of these for Christmas
Old Sep 29th 2007, 12:48 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Also while on the point of pools, anyone any useful tips for keeping the bloody ducks out!!!
Pool blanket?

Gina
Old Sep 29th 2007, 12:57 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I saw a product advertised in a flyer called "Duck Off". No idea if it actually works, but as the name suggests it's supposed to keep ducks off your pool.
Old Sep 29th 2007, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

We had a Kreepy-Krawley and it was brilliant............. but someone climbed over the fence at our house in Wanneroo and nicked it

For a replacement the pool shop recommended a different brand with a fancy shape and very bright colours ................. it looked fantastic......but was bloody useless as it kept tipping over, floating to the surface and sucking in air............ and getting blocked with leaves.

Kreepy-Krawley I'd say is the best.............. you can stick your Predators, your Barracudas, and any other fancy name they come up with these days.

Give me a good old fashioned Kreepy-Krawley any day
Old Sep 29th 2007, 1:22 pm
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by GinaUK
Pool blanket?

Gina
No dont work, they land on the bloody blanket and then sort of jump up and down at the edge so the blanket lets water on top of it and then they sit in it!!! I am telling you these are bloody clever ducks!!

Would post one of the numerous photos we have but I have no idea how to!!
Old Sep 29th 2007, 1:35 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

We have one of these.

http://www.baracuda.com/baracuda.htm

I can't compare it to anything else but it works brilliantly even with the pool blanket on.
Old Sep 29th 2007, 10:48 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.walco.com.au/
we have one of these over the pool during , winter keeps the leaves and the ducks out.
Wood ducks are a problem all over Adelaide, due to all the water retention wet lands popping up every were ,the little buggers are breeding like mice
i dont think they are a protected species........so try some "pekin-duck" .....mm
Old Sep 29th 2007, 11:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I think most pool cleaners need a bit of care. You can't really expect them to work long shifts without emptying the business end, lines, filters etc. We have an inline leaf filter as well but the more links inthe system the less pressure.

I run mine for an hour then switch to manual - me, maybe adjusting the pattern a bit by swinging the pipe around at the skimmer box as well. By an hour there will be a leaf in the mouth which would probably clog it up. It does depend how many leafs you get and if you can get them out first - which in winter is harder.

I find you can't beat a manual vacuum through the skimmer box - especially to waste when the pool is up to the brim.
Old Sep 30th 2007, 12:48 am
In New Yorshire

tyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by comet555
I saw a product advertised in a flyer called "Duck Off". No idea if it actually works, but as the name suggests it's supposed to keep ducks off your pool.

It does work - but takes time for the ducks to get the message.
I had a duck/pool prob with a pair of duck constantly visiting.

I'd asked if there was anything to keep em off at the local pool shop ,when he said"Duck Off" I nearly decked him - then I realised what he'd said.

Duck Off is a detergent that affects the oils on a ducks plumage,they loose their ability to float and hence it puts them off the pool.

A word of warning.......... we have a waterfall running into the pool - turn anything like that off before adding or you will not be able to see your pool for sudsy foam (that was a sight!!)

Ducks tend to shelter around pools when it's windy,which we seem to have had this last few days.

BTW - We use the Kreepy Krawly pool cleaner and it's done very well.