Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

help needed! area&schools ect??

help needed! area&schools ect??

Old Sep 1st 2010, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

tenpoundpom is an unknown quantity at this point
Question help needed! area&schools ect??

hi to all..i joined today!!..i have been reading through alot of your threads!..help is needed!!..were looking to rent and thought these areas sounded nice..butler/quinns rock/clarkson/waikiki & fremantle..there are other areas the list goes on!!..obviously secondary schools are important..my son here will be starting year 10 sept!..if im right in thinking he will repeat year 9 over there?..i have just read a previous thread..and some views seem that schools in outer suburbs were not as good!!...i dont want to cause any offence ..but why not?..are outer or northern suburbs not nice areas to live?..also my older son is at college here (mechanic course)..our plans were that he would continue with this at tafe!!..or maybe a apprentice position!..any views on areas to live schools/college ect i would be greatful.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 8:37 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help needed! area&schools ect??

Hi, and welcome to BE.
I'm afraid I can't answer your question but this will bump it up to the top of the list and hopefully you will get answers from those in the know

(Although they're asleep at the moment )

Julie. x
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

thanks juliecabs.
Originally Posted by Juliecabs
Hi, and welcome to BE.
I'm afraid I can't answer your question but this will bump it up to the top of the list and hopefully you will get answers from those in the know

(Although they're asleep at the moment )

Julie. x
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

Mate, can't comment on the southern suburbs, but there are plenty of nice places to live in the far northern burbs.

We have found and the consensus generally agrees that there are plenty of good primary schools, but that you need to be more selective regarding high schools.

It's a subject that provokes a lot of strong feelings on here for some reason, but at the end of the day it's your kids education and that can't be taken too lightly.

What I have heard (so not from personal experience) is that Clarkson high school should be avoided at all costs. That has come from both parents and teachers, but again, only what I have heard and I'm sure there are people who have had positive experiences with the school.

We were in the catchment area for Ocean Reef high school, which does have a better reputation, but again not great.

If you can afford it, I would recommend you put your sons name down for one of the private high schools, don't be put off by tales of long waiting lists, although that generally is the case, you might be surprised how quickly you are offered a place in the right circumstances.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

thanks for that geordiebloke..this school thing is giving me nightmares..it keeps me awake during the night!!..my son is very happy and settled at his school here many friends into and excels in all sports..hopes of becoming a pe teacher!!..i dont want him looking back and thinking were ruining his life ..dont get me wrong he,s up for the move and looking forward to trying new sports ie: surfing aussie rules football!!..but has expressed concerns on entering a new school!..i have looked at one of the private catholic ones (hubby being catholic)..irene mccormac in butler?..any one have any views on this?..or can recommend a good school for sports?..please helpppp
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

Catkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud of

Hiya

We live in Qiunns Rocks and although my youngest is still in year 5 at Primary, the eldest is in year 8. Like geordiebloke said, we wanted to avoid Calrkson High at all costs, so we sent him to Quinns Baptist College, OK, it cost us, but $4000 for the year for private education is really good. He loves the school and his confidence level has grown greatly. He's not bored and is learning so much new stuff, it's brilliant. The youngest has got a place for 2013 when he's due to start high school. I have no problems recommending the school at all.

Most of the northern suburbs are good areas to live, although like everywhere else in the world, there are some to be avoided.

Hope this helps. Just remember this is only my opinion, I'm sure others will have other ideas about areas and schools.

Catkin
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

thanks for that catkin..quinns rock is also another area were interested in!..all seems so difficult from over here..hope all falls into place once were there
Originally Posted by Catkin09
Hiya

We live in Qiunns Rocks and although my youngest is still in year 5 at Primary, the eldest is in year 8. Like geordiebloke said, we wanted to avoid Calrkson High at all costs, so we sent him to Quinns Baptist College, OK, it cost us, but $4000 for the year for private education is really good. He loves the school and his confidence level has grown greatly. He's not bored and is learning so much new stuff, it's brilliant. The youngest has got a place for 2013 when he's due to start high school. I have no problems recommending the school at all.

Most of the northern suburbs are good areas to live, although like everywhere else in the world, there are some to be avoided.

Hope this helps. Just remember this is only my opinion, I'm sure others will have other ideas about areas and schools.

Catkin

Last edited by tenpoundpom; Sep 3rd 2010 at 3:41 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tenpoundpom
thanks for that catkin..quinns rock is also another area were interested in!..all seems so difficult from over here..hope all falls into place once were there
Quinns Rocks, is nice and I would certainly be happy living there myself, but don't think where you live will restrict you in which school (private) that you choose, as they all have their own school buses, which generally pick up from all around the northern suburbs.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

thanks thats good to know
Originally Posted by geordiebloke
Quinns Rocks, is nice and I would certainly be happy living there myself, but don't think where you live will restrict you in which school (private) that you choose, as they all have their own school buses, which generally pick up from all around the northern suburbs.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 6:21 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tenpoundpom
obviously secondary schools are important..:
Hi there
Try this web site..... http://www.myschool.edu.au/

Type in suburb and check out the schools ratings.

Good luck.
Neil.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 12:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

we landed and live in the southern burbs... easier to get your kids into private schools down here... more places available on the whole in most years.. ours are in the public system but amongst the local immigrants we appear to be in the minority....... our lad is happy being more the TAFE trades oriented kid rather that uni hopeful...

Housing in perf is expensive all over... but less expensive down south... leaving more money available for those private school fees...

If your lad is into sports he'll have no worries settling in.. whereever you decide.. but beware a child that excells with sports in the uk may just be average here... but no worries they like anyone who has a go... as well as those that are good

Dont forget its not just schools you need to worry about... its employment too... where will you be working? what kind of work? How far/long are you prepared to travel?
Old Sep 6th 2010, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

On another thread, you mentioned that a TAFE course for your son was hundreds of kms inland - surely there's something in the metro area? Have you looked at http://www.trainingwa.wa.gov.au/trai...detcms/portal/ ?
Old Sep 7th 2010, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

thanks for the info helen.t..i will look at the south of perth!.hubby is a plasterer he's not too bothered about travelling to sites!..daughter 20 is a sales advisor (over here)..but says she'll try her hand at anything ..my son who's at college here training to be a mechanic(as said in other post) hope's to continue with this over there..thanks for link regarding this..i seem to stumble across new info everyday ..looks like there's more tafe training centres there than i originally found..great.. just hope finding a apprenticeship for him to continue.. falls into place!..schools well i havent a clue!!..went on the myschool link..thanks for that ..(your sons happy?..how do the aussies take to the brits?)..all info really helps
Old Sep 7th 2010, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

halfcamoflauge is on a distinguished road

When we lived in Perth we originally went to Mandurah(south) but after a year we ended up moving to Butler (north suburbs). Mandurah was nice but the travelling to the city took its toll and we decided to move. My children went to St Andrews catholic primary in clarkson and it was a really good school but the area is a bit dodgy and i wouldn't put the kids into clarkson high. We did decide to move them to East Butler primary school (state) which is in Butler and they did enjoy it there but they didn't really push the kids that much. Butler as a whole is very nice and we did enjoy living there, apart from the teenagers doing doughnuts in the roads with their cars. Quinns is nice and thats on the beach side, there is old quinns and new quinns. Woodvale secondary school is geared up for sports so that might help you out a little and i know quite a few english reside in this area. There is also a secondary school being built in alkamos which is inbetween Butler and Jindalee, i think they have started on this as i know some kids that are going to it next year.
Hope this helps a little bit for you, good luck.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

thanks halfcamoflauge..looking at butler do you know anything of irene mccormac?..
Originally Posted by halfcamoflauge
When we lived in Perth we originally went to Mandurah(south) but after a year we ended up moving to Butler (north suburbs). Mandurah was nice but the travelling to the city took its toll and we decided to move. My children went to St Andrews catholic primary in clarkson and it was a really good school but the area is a bit dodgy and i wouldn't put the kids into clarkson high. We did decide to move them to East Butler primary school (state) which is in Butler and they did enjoy it there but they didn't really push the kids that much. Butler as a whole is very nice and we did enjoy living there, apart from the teenagers doing doughnuts in the roads with their cars. Quinns is nice and thats on the beach side, there is old quinns and new quinns. Woodvale secondary school is geared up for sports so that might help you out a little and i know quite a few english reside in this area. There is also a secondary school being built in alkamos which is inbetween Butler and Jindalee, i think they have started on this as i know some kids that are going to it next year.
Hope this helps a little bit for you, good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.