Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help Needed!! Anyone from Manchester??

Help Needed!! Anyone from Manchester??

Old Jun 6th 2007, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

pata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant future
Default Help Needed!! Anyone from Manchester??

I have an interview with Queensland Health at the Britannia Hotel in Portland Street? Road?
I have to catch a train at 17:58 back to Edinburgh.
Interview is due to end at 17:30 (only time they had available.)
Does anyone know if I can get to the station, Manchester Piccadilly, in half an hour?
Thanks anyone
Alison
Old Jun 6th 2007, 9:33 pm
On Our Way in Nov!

kbdb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help Needed!! Anyone from Manchester??

hi, i work in mcr. portland street is in picc, i'd say you're cutting in fine, depending which platform your train on going back - some are way over other end of station, and take about 5 mins to get to.

if you're not familiar with area then the tram is out the question, although this would be your quickest route, tram from piccadilly gardens to piccadilly, only 5 mins max, so would give you enough time.

not sure if there is a taxi rank near there, portland st a long road, but that's prob best bet, even though it would only be 2 mins, and a couple of quid. (busiest time too traffic wise).

Good luck, hope you get your train, bummer if you miss it.

i'll keep everything crossed for you. my bet would be to get a map, showing how to walk from there to station??? its only five mins, but that's going in and out streets and i'm guessing you dont know the area.

if there's anything i can do, let me know,
Karen
Old Jun 6th 2007, 9:39 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kbdb
hi, i work in mcr. portland street is in picc, i'd say you're cutting in fine, depending which platform your train on going back - some are way over other end of station, and take about 5 mins to get to.

if you're not familiar with area then the tram is out the question, although this would be your quickest route, tram from piccadilly gardens to piccadilly, only 5 mins max, so would give you enough time.

not sure if there is a taxi rank near there, portland st a long road, but that's prob best bet, even though it would only be 2 mins, and a couple of quid. (busiest time too traffic wise).

Good luck, hope you get your train, bummer if you miss it.

i'll keep everything crossed for you. my bet would be to get a map, showing how to walk from there to station??? its only five mins, but that's going in and out streets and i'm guessing you dont know the area.

if there's anything i can do, let me know,
Karen
doesnt portland street lead to the road that the train station is on? i think if you walk to the end of portland street (ask which direction the train station is though), and then turn right, this is the road that piccadilly is on (name escapes me). depending on where abouts on portland street the hotel is on (i am sure it is about half way down), it would probably take you about 10 minutes to walk fast......................but there again, i could be wrong, so i will see if there are any more takers on this. try calling the hotel and asking them?
Old Jun 7th 2007, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

jules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud of

If the interview finishes on time you should be able to do it as the Britannia hotel is at the right end of Portland st. It should only take you about 10 mins to get there and I presume you would already have your ticket. My only worry would be the interview running over

Jules
Old Jun 7th 2007, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jules29
If the interview finishes on time you should be able to do it as the Britannia hotel is at the right end of Portland st. It should only take you about 10 mins to get there and I presume you would already have your ticket. My only worry would be the interview running over

Jules
I agree 10 mins walking. Its not far at all - plenty of time. I also work in Manchester. (well i did until last friday.haha) and have worked on Portland st on occassion and needed to get the train. Piccadily is just around the corner so to speak, you will know what I mean when you see how far away it is.

Sleeping Beauty has a good idea there, why dont you ring the hotel and ask them for a map/directions for you to print off.

Jules also has a point, if the interview runs over and you miss the train, there are plenty of places to get something to eat to pass an hour or so.