Reload this Page >

HELP!! Need some info on Oz.

HELP!! Need some info on Oz.

Old Jul 28th 2007, 11:00 am
Just Joined

MELANIEAM79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HELP!! Need some info on Oz.

Hi all,

Myself & my partner are looking to go to Oz in Feb/Mar 08', to start off with a WHV & with the intention of trying to get sponsored to be able to stay there, if we love it. I work as a Field Sales Account Manager within the Sales Industry & my partner is an electrician. We are in our late twenties. We love beaches, good weather & nice people. Where would you recommend we go? Could you please give us the Positives & Negatives on each city also? Such as, Sydney is expensive, Perth is good for wages, etc(These are just examples). As much helpful advice as possible is greatly appreciated. Thankyou in advance.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

amy0stevie is just really niceamy0stevie is just really niceamy0stevie is just really niceamy0stevie is just really niceamy0stevie is just really niceamy0stevie is just really niceamy0stevie is just really niceamy0stevie is just really nice
Default Re: HELP!! Need some info on Oz.

Everyone says the same thing- 'you wont know wheres right for you until you get there' frustrating to hear but its true. My partner and I are same ages as you and looking for the same kind of lifestyle. Weve decided to start of in Brisbane and if we dont like it we'll just up sticks and travel down the coast. Might even end up in Perth! You thought about doing that? Were hoping it'll be easy enough to pick up temp work as we go (my oh is a tradesman too, ill rent out pedalos or something...)
Amy X
Old Jul 28th 2007, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

That's weird. We thought exactly the same thing. To try Brisbane first & then maybe Perth. They seem to be the places coming up trumps at the moment with feedback I'm getting. When are you going Amy?x
Old Jul 28th 2007, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

amy0stevie is just really niceamy0stevie is just really niceamy0stevie is just really niceamy0stevie is just really niceamy0stevie is just really niceamy0stevie is just really niceamy0stevie is just really niceamy0stevie is just really nice

Sent you a wee PM!
Amy X
Old Jul 28th 2007, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

Typical. It won't let me read any or send any PM's. It says I can't if I have more than 3 posts, which I wasn't aware I had. Aarggh!!
Old Jul 28th 2007, 2:29 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MELANIEAM79
Typical. It won't let me read any or send any PM's. It says I can't if I have more than 3 posts, which I wasn't aware I had. Aarggh!!
You must have read the message wrong. You CAN send pms, after making a certain number of posts. Try again, it should work for you now
Old Jul 28th 2007, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

Yeah. It's working now. Thankyou Polly.xx
Old Jul 28th 2007, 2:39 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah. It's working now. Thankyou Polly.xx
No worries
Welcome to the site by the way!!
Old Jul 28th 2007, 3:02 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Gonna see if my e-mail address comes up. You could send it to that. It's melanieamiller AT hotmail.CO.UK
You sure you want your email address on a public forum for all the weirdos out there to read? Really, you should ask Polly to remove it.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

emmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud of

Hi all,

Myself & my partner are looking to go to Oz in Feb/Mar 08', to start off with a WHV & with the intention of trying to get sponsored to be able to stay there, if we love it. I work as a Field Sales Account Manager within the Sales Industry & my partner is an electrician. We are in our late twenties. We love beaches, good weather & nice people. Where would you recommend we go? Could you please give us the Positives & Negatives on each city also? Such as, Sydney is expensive, Perth is good for wages, etc(These are just examples). As much helpful advice as possible is greatly appreciated. Thankyou in advance.
Alot of people find it hard to get sponsored You have to be very lucky! Have a look on here for more infomation on other ways to move over and check out www.immi.gov.au to see how you can get a visa first (you should find a way as your OH is a Tradie) with out the risk of loving it in Australia but having to come back! Good Luck
Old Jul 29th 2007, 1:34 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, well myself and partner lived in adelaide for about 10 months on a working holiday visa but have now been granted our permanent one and just moved to perth, so I can give you my opinon of those.

Adelaide and Perth are very different citys, very different experiences. Adelaide reminds me a lot of london, the amount of people, the scruffy streets, the city attitude, the amount of crazy people but it does feel more familier than some places in oz. On nights out the city also felt a bit on edge like there was a potential for violence at any time, again bit like some citys in the UK. The streets in adelaide were better than the UK but still had quiet a few traffic bad spots and smaller streets.

Perth is a much cleaner, modern and more spread out place. The streets are large and you can get about quicker, being a newer city it feels like its been logically designed rather than just happened. You tend to have to travel further distances but get there quick. They have massive shopping centers spread out all over which takes some preassure and people away from the city center. Perth also has lots of beaches and is surrounded by water so no matter where you live the beach or waterfront is only a short drive away. I am not sure why but perth just feels a more friendly and welcoming city.

The only advantage that adelaide and I imagine some of the other citys have over perth is that they feel more connected with the rest of australia. But really if you have a nice big house, lots of shops everywhere, lovely beaches, one of the best climates that doesnt get to hot or cold, then you have everything you need in day to day life.

Well thats enough rambling from me !
Old Jul 29th 2007, 3:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dave99
Hi, well myself and partner lived in adelaide for about 10 months on a working holiday visa but have now been granted our permanent one and just moved to perth, so I can give you my opinon of those.

Adelaide and Perth are very different citys, very different experiences. Adelaide reminds me a lot of london, the amount of people, the scruffy streets, the city attitude, the amount of crazy people but it does feel more familier than some places in oz. On nights out the city also felt a bit on edge like there was a potential for violence at any time, again bit like some citys in the UK. The streets in adelaide were better than the UK but still had quiet a few traffic bad spots and smaller streets.

Perth is a much cleaner, modern and more spread out place. The streets are large and you can get about quicker, being a newer city it feels like its been logically designed rather than just happened. You tend to have to travel further distances but get there quick. They have massive shopping centers spread out all over which takes some preassure and people away from the city center. Perth also has lots of beaches and is surrounded by water so no matter where you live the beach or waterfront is only a short drive away. I am not sure why but perth just feels a more friendly and welcoming city.

The only advantage that adelaide and I imagine some of the other citys have over perth is that they feel more connected with the rest of australia. But really if you have a nice big house, lots of shops everywhere, lovely beaches, one of the best climates that doesnt get to hot or cold, then you have everything you need in day to day life.

Well thats enough rambling from me !
Rambling is right! Are you kidding? Adelaide like London? Scruffy Streets? the city attitude? the crazy people? etc etc :curse: Adelaide has lots of lovely beaches, a well designed city with parklands around the city cbd square mile. The people are wonderful. I felt far safer in Adelaide than I do in Perth. The only thing I like about Perth is the view from Kings Park.
So I take it you have been in Australia less than 12 months? I have been here for more than 35 years and in that time have travelled all over the place. Give me Adelaide any day...not that there aren't any other nice places, there are, lots of them ...and I am going back to Adelaide for a weeks holiday in January to see 'The Tour Downunder' and catch up with my family.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 5:13 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vin 'n Bin
Rambling is right! Are you kidding? Adelaide like London? Scruffy Streets? the city attitude? the crazy people? etc etc :curse: Adelaide has lots of lovely beaches, a well designed city with parklands around the city cbd square mile. The people are wonderful. I felt far safer in Adelaide than I do in Perth. The only thing I like about Perth is the view from Kings Park.
So I take it you have been in Australia less than 12 months? I have been here for more than 35 years and in that time have travelled all over the place. Give me Adelaide any day...not that there aren't any other nice places, there are, lots of them ...and I am going back to Adelaide for a weeks holiday in January to see 'The Tour Downunder' and catch up with my family.
We lived in Adelaide for our first 10 months in Australia too and if not for the fact my husband wasn't able to find work, we would still be there. We found it easy to get around, friendly (much friendlier than Perth so far), much more diverse and it has a fantastic public transit system, You can be in the hills or the beach from anywhere in Adelaide in less than 30 minutes, the wineries just down the road a bit, excellent hospital system, etc.
Agreed with the bit about Perth having wider roads and large shopping centres spread out, but Adelaide has large shopping centres, too...Marion, Tea Tree, West Lakes, Harbour Town, Elizabeth, Noarlunga Centre to name a few.
Another plus for Adelaide is that your $ will go much further in the way of house prices.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 7:02 am
Just Joined

Ekka has a brilliant futureEkka has a brilliant futureEkka has a brilliant futureEkka has a brilliant futureEkka has a brilliant futureEkka has a brilliant futureEkka has a brilliant future

Adelaide and Perth are pleasant places to visit, and even to live, if you like remote in the case of Perth, and cold in that of Adelaide.

Seriously, for someone coming to the other side of the world, you'll find it far easier and less isolated in the east; almost everyone over the last 219 years has, which is why no fewer than 16.5 million of Australia's 21 million people live to the east of South Australia.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 7:07 am
Sparky Stu

stu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of light

Get ur backsides to Cairns! Im a electrician, been here 6 weeks now. More work than you can shake a stick at and i would say youve a good chance of getting sponserd aswell. The beaches are stunning, its got everything as far as im concerned!

Stu