Reload this Page >

Help with moving to Oz.

Help with moving to Oz.

Old Jun 29th 2004, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

Nigel & Marie is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Help with moving to Oz.

Hello All.
We have just registered after finding this great site. We are planning a fact finding/40th birthday trip to Cairns in January with a view to moving out there next year (hopefully!). Not really sure where to start with visa's etc it seems a bit of a mine field. Any recommendations/help/advice/experiences would be great.

We have also thought of Perth but Cairns seems to appeal more to us anyway cos of the climate and Great Barrier Reef etc? Be nice to hear from anyone,

Bye for now, Nigel & Marie.
Old Jun 29th 2004, 7:48 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Help with moving to Oz.

Originally posted by Nigel & Marie
Hello All.
We have just registered after finding this great site. We are planning a fact finding/40th birthday trip to Cairns in January with a view to moving out there next year (hopefully!). Not really sure where to start with visa's etc it seems a bit of a mine field. Any recommendations/help/advice/experiences would be great.

We have also thought of Perth but Cairns seems to appeal more to us anyway cos of the climate and Great Barrier Reef etc? Be nice to hear from anyone,

Welcome guys, wow Cairns in January, your def jumping in at the deep end I hope you like the heat.
I'm sure you will get heaps of advice from the helpful people on here.
Old Jun 29th 2004, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Hello All.

Hi Nigel & Marie
Good luck. What kind of visa are you hoping to get? If you have a look at the top of the forum page you will see some info Peter has prepared.

Any questions just shout and I am sure someone will know the answer

You will also have to decide if you are going to use an agent or go it alone.
Old Jun 29th 2004, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Bordy. That was the idea really to see if we can take the heat etc. We love the sun and usually anything over 80 deg F is ideal. I assume air con is used alot out there in work places?

Thanks for the reply,
N&M.
Old Jun 29th 2004, 7:55 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Bordy. That was the idea really to see if we can take the heat etc. We love the sun and usually anything over 80 deg F is ideal. I assume air con is used alot out there in work places?

Thanks for the reply,
N&M.
I believe air cond & alcohol are used a helluva lot.
Old Jun 29th 2004, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by debsy
Hi Nigel & Marie
Good luck. What kind of visa are you hoping to get? If you have a look at the top of the forum page you will see some info Peter has prepared.

Any questions just shout and I am sure someone will know the answer

You will also have to decide if you are going to use an agent or go it alone.
Thanks Debsy, we will be asking plenty of questions I'm sure, like which agent is recommended? Or is it easy going it alone??

:scared:

N&M.
Old Jun 29th 2004, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by Bordy
I believe air cond & alcohol are used a helluva lot.
:PARTY:
Old Jun 29th 2004, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Thanks Debsy, we will be asking plenty of questions I'm sure, like which agent is recommended? Or is it easy going it alone??

:scared:

N&M.
Well we used an agent for our application as we wanted to make sure it was done properly and we were to lazy to fill in the forms ourselves Our agent does not frequent these boards but some very good ones do like Alan Collett and George Lombard.

We are off to the Gold Coast
Old Jun 29th 2004, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by debsy
Well we used an agent for our application as we wanted to make sure it was done properly and we were to lazy to fill in the forms ourselves Our agent does not frequent these boards but some very good ones do like Alan Collett and George Lombard.

We are off to the Gold Coast
Thanks for that Debsy and good luck.
Old Jun 29th 2004, 8:26 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Hello All.

Hi Nigel and Marie

Welcome aboard!!

You will get loads of help on this forum, been a great help to us. A reminder thou, watch your age, being 40, as points decrease older you get. Don't take offence I'm 40 too but started the ball rolling when I was 39 and wife at 36!!

We are heading to Perth in September, can't comment on Cairns

Good luck

Walla
Old Jun 29th 2004, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

Cheers Walla, it's the other way around for us, Marie 40 in Jan and me 36!
It seems that a lot of people are heading for or have moved to Perth?
Wondering now if we should visit there too during our trip??

N&M.
Old Jun 30th 2004, 6:36 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Walla, it's the other way around for us, Marie 40 in Jan and me 36!
It seems that a lot of people are heading for or have moved to Perth?
Wondering now if we should visit there too during our trip??

N&M.
Hi

It all depends what you're looking for, as I say I can't comment on anywhere else in Oz as only been to Perth. We love it, it has it's draw backs like everywhere, the main one being it's such an isolated city.

But yes, a lot of people on this forum are heading to Perth. I don't recall many people going to Cairns but a lot head out to the east too, Sydney, Brisbane etc etc.

If you like the sun, I believe it's one of the sunniest places in Oz, def worth a visit even if you're not planning on settling there.

Good luck on wherever you decide to settle

Walla
Old Jun 30th 2004, 7:08 am
ABCDiamond

Thanks for the reply,
N&M.
Be carefull when making a decision based on the heat.
When I first came out to QLD from UK, it was a massive temperature change to me, from -something to 40+c. and I couldn't take the change at that time.

Obviously if it's a positive experience for you, and you can handle it then great But if not, you may find that coming in our winter and building up to the higher temps, may be easier to take.

I now find that the high temps are no problems, even those few weeks when it got really hot this last summer.

Good luck though, and enjoy

Old Jun 30th 2004, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

steve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to all

Hi Guys

Hope you enjoy the site - we've had some great advice from it.

We've been to Cairns twice now and it does get hot, also the humidity can be a killer.

Work wise its very tourist based - diving, restaurants, t-shirt shops etc. Lots of building work going on if your in construction.

You'll enjoy it for a holiday, access to the reef is great, you can get to the outer reef on boat trips, lots of Islands to visit - Green Island is a good trip. Shopping Centre is great too.

Personally, I couldn't live there, the humidity is too much and the cyclones(!!) but we have friends who live there and love it. They live at Lake Placid near Smithfield.

Jo
Old Jun 30th 2004, 9:05 am
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about

Cairns is not for everybody. A lot of the locals work in the tourist industry which tends to be at it's height in the oz winter because that is when Cairns is coolest and the jellyfish have gone. We know people living there that pack up and leave for the summer as it is just too humid, really tropical climate. Heat is not really the issue it is the humidity. I like it though and if you can handle the humidity all year round it is a lovely place. I think Qantas have just set up a new budget airline based in Cairns which again could move the place along.

Originally posted by steve-n-jo
Hi Guys

Hope you enjoy the site - we've had some great advice from it.

We've been to Cairns twice now and it does get hot, also the humidity can be a killer.

Work wise its very tourist based - diving, restaurants, t-shirt shops etc. Lots of building work going on if your in construction.

You'll enjoy it for a holiday, access to the reef is great, you can get to the outer reef on boat trips, lots of Islands to visit - Green Island is a good trip. Shopping Centre is great too.

Personally, I couldn't live there, the humidity is too much and the cyclones(!!) but we have friends who live there and love it. They live at Lake Placid near Smithfield.

Jo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.