Reload this Page >

Help importing a vehicle

Help importing a vehicle

Old Nov 3rd 2015, 9:24 am
Just Joined

Helen.Wallace is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help importing a vehicle

Hi,

I would like to import a Mini Cooper from the UK to Australia and would like to know what peoples experiences are on vehicle importing?

Is it worth my time, What companies you've had experience with and also rough prices.

Thanks
Old Nov 3rd 2015, 9:37 am
DML
Forum Regular

DML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help importing a vehicle

Are you in Australia yet? Like most things to do with a move here its nowhere near as straightforward as you might think. Have a look at https://infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/
You only have 6 months after you arrive in Australia to apply for and be granted an import permit if your car meets the criteria. We're importing a very sentimental sports car just now - financially its a crazy move but we're going with our hearts.
Old Nov 4th 2015, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

We've recently imported (and since sold, following a change of plans) both a Mercedes and a Porsche. From a financial point of view, when the exchange rate was 1.45 it was an easy decision, now it's 2.10 it is not so clearcut. I doubt if a Mini Cooper is valuable enough to make it worthwhile.

I wouldn't even consider doing it without employing someone to do the paperwork for you. It's stressful enough emigrating without having to negotiate your way through the additional bureaucracy too.
Old Nov 9th 2015, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

Geezer123 is an unknown quantity at this point

An imported Mini from the UK is not worth the same as an Australian compliance version.

So essentially anyone who imports will lose money, hence why Australians rarely do it.
Old Nov 9th 2015, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

slackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with Geezer123. Any particular reason for the import given you can buy minis here?
Old Nov 9th 2015, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geezer123
So essentially anyone who imports will lose money, hence why Australians rarely do it.
That's a bit of a sweeping statement. Choose wisely and be lucky/not too unlucky in exchange rate movements and you can still make money, we did on both cars. Australians rarely do it because they are not able to in most instances as you need to have owned the car and been with it overseas for 12 months to qualify for the relaxed import rules.
Old Nov 10th 2015, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by louie
That's a bit of a sweeping statement. Choose wisely and be lucky/not too unlucky in exchange rate movements and you can still make money, we did on both cars. Australians rarely do it because they are not able to in most instances as you need to have owned the car and been with it overseas for 12 months to qualify for the relaxed import rules.
I think that a UK compliance version has experienced rougher conditions, through colder weather which will command a lot less in Australia is the real issue.

Theres no money to be made. Do some research on the Porsche import debacle in the early nineties from Japan, is a great example of what really happens.
Old Nov 10th 2015, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Geezer123
I think that a UK compliance version has experienced rougher conditions, through colder weather which will command a lot less in Australia is the real issue.

Theres no money to be made. Do some research on the Porsche import debacle in the early nineties from Japan, is a great example of what really happens.
Try rereading my post, which said "you can still make money, we did on both cars". My husband sold his Porsche last month at a profit, not only in comparison with what it was worth in £ when we imported it but in comparison with what it originally cost him (and yes that is taking into account the cost of bringing it over). And of course that profit would have been far greater if the Aussie $ exchange rate was still the same as a year ago. It's not as black and white as you seem to think.
Old Nov 11th 2015, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by louie
Try rereading my post, which said "you can still make money, we did on both cars". My husband sold his Porsche last month at a profit, not only in comparison with what it was worth in £ when we imported it but in comparison with what it originally cost him (and yes that is taking into account the cost of bringing it over). And of course that profit would have been far greater if the Aussie $ exchange rate was still the same as a year ago. It's not as black and white as you seem to think.

Obviously I don't believe you. lol