Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help. I'm terrified

Help. I'm terrified

Old Jun 10th 2014, 2:07 pm
is it still a dream?

pricecelt is just really nicepricecelt is just really nicepricecelt is just really nicepricecelt is just really nicepricecelt is just really nicepricecelt is just really nicepricecelt is just really nicepricecelt is just really nice
Default Help. I'm terrified

Right ten years in the planning and it's all come together.

Got our 175 visa , validated last august

Got a middle leadership permanent teaching post in mango hill. First school I visited las August,

Moving out early jan 2015 with my wife and three kids

What the hell do I do about short term rental while we wait on our stuff arriving.

Do I wait for our stuff to arrive before renting long term

What do I need for long term rental, can I sort before I come out?

I'm coming out myself in august to visit the school for a week and look at areas again.

What should I be doing when I come out on Recce Think kids will come to my school so that's not an issue . It's everything else.

Like look of Radcliffe, bribe island. Etc

Help
Old Jun 10th 2014, 5:07 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help. I'm terrified

Originally Posted by pricecelt
Right ten years in the planning and it's all come together.

Got our 175 visa , validated last august

Got a middle leadership permanent teaching post in mango hill. First school I visited las August,

Moving out early jan 2015 with my wife and three kids

What the hell do I do about short term rental while we wait on our stuff arriving.

Do I wait for our stuff to arrive before renting long term

What do I need for long term rental, can I sort before I come out?

I'm coming out myself in august to visit the school for a week and look at areas again.

What should I be doing when I come out on Recce Think kids will come to my school so that's not an issue . It's everything else.

Like look of Radcliffe, bribe island. Etc

Help
From your thread title, I was expecting to see that you were fending off an axe-wielding maniac

Can't give you much info as you're moving to the other side of the country from me, but I'll give it a go. It's the middle of the night in Oz so you'll probably have to wait until tomorrow to get responses from people in your neck of the woods.

For short term rentals, try airbnb.com. There are also holiday rental places such as Stayz, HomeAway and others. Price-wise, I'm afraid that you're moving over at the worst possible time - the summer holidays. That's not to say you won't get short-term accommodation, but you'll need to book as quickly as you can and it'll cost more than non-peak times. Some people choose to stay in a hotel until they can sort something more permanent, but that might be a bit of a stretch with 3 kids.

It'll be nigh on impossible to secure a long term rental from overseas. Agents insist that you view the property and sign the property condition report prior to a rental contract being signed. You could look for something while you were over in August, but you got something you'd need to pay rent on it from that date.

As to areas, prices etc I'm sure some locals will be along to help you tomorrow. In the meantime, you can check out realestate.com.au - that'll give you an idea of what's available in your preferred areas and the rents. When you get a long term rental, you're usually required to pay 4 weeks rent as a refundable bond (refunded when the tenancy ends, subject to the condition of the property), in addition to at least 2 weeks rent in advance.

Have fun planning it all, it's exciting! Best wishes
Old Jun 10th 2014, 5:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
From your thread title, I was expecting to see that you were fending off an axe-wielding maniac
I'll de-scramble the squadron.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 5:17 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I'll de-scramble the squadron.
No use. They're all in the US, trying to protect our Prime Minister from his own stupidity. They'll fail, of course.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 5:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
No use. They're all in the US, trying to protect our Prime Minister from his own stupidity. They'll fail, of course.

Good luck pricecelt, I know it's all very daunting.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 8:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

You'll only get a pad when on the ground and frankly you wouldn't want to commit to a place unseen.

Send the gear as early as possible. You'll likely have a month in temp accom. By the time you move into your new palace, the gear will arrive.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 7:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Expensive but book a serviced apartment for when you arrive. It will give you a base but also will provide all that you need.
As jan is high season, get booking now!
Old Jun 12th 2014, 1:51 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Pricecelt, Best to try and think of it as an adventure (which it really is) rather than a trauma

This thread should be a help to you: http://britishexpats.com/forum/austr...-there-336029/

Good luck to you and enjoy the roller coaster ride ahead!
Old Jun 13th 2014, 10:21 am
Just Joined

lc77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there
We lived in Redcliffe for 6 months when we first moved across. We found a short term holiday rental through Professionals, one of the real estate agents. You could try them, and others such as Century 21. We organised it all through email - think we had to pay a deposit.

As for long term rental, we found one pretty easily in Redcliffe - but we were moving in August and I've been told that January is when most people move, so there is more competition. Agents want a fair amount of documentation when you apply for a rental, so if you can get organised with multiple copies of things like passport, employment contract, bank statements, driver's licence etc, then at least you'll be ready to apply for a property as soon as you find one you like.

In terms of what to do on your recce, from memory, most things like Medicare, driver's licence need you to have an Australian address. So unless you have an Australian address, you might not be able to do much until January...

Good luck!
Old Jun 18th 2014, 10:25 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Short term holiday rental, for when you arrive. 3-4 weeks should be ok.

You can look for rentals when you get here. Make sure you have copies of job offers, copy of passport and evidence that you have money in the bank.
There is no point looking for a long term rental until you arrive.

If your stuff arrives as you are moving into your rental - great!
If not, you will have to improvise for a few weeks.
Beg, borrow, steal, look on gumtree.
Buy an outdoor furniture set and use it indoors. Sleep on blow up beds.

Don't panic, it will all be ok. We've all been there