Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help, Im really worrieD

Help, Im really worrieD

Old Feb 6th 2012, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

bibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nice
Default Help, Im really worrieD

hI, If anyone could put my mind at rest i would be really grateful.
O.H set off from Syd to Perth, driving. He didnt fancy the boredom of driving alone, so went on Gumtree,and looked for someone who wanted to go to Perth also,He found a backpacker, and off they set. He called me a few times on Sat (the day he left),and on Sun. He called Sun evening to say goodnight to the kids,and said he would call me Mon (yesterday) but after that nothing.. He has 2 mobiles, and I have called both ,lots of times but nothing, they both are turned off or have no signal.
On Sun evening he was in Port Augusta. For anyone who has driven that route (along the Eyre Highway), can you tell me what the cellphone reception is like.. Im reckoning he is prob in an area about the sa/wa border.
Im just really worried, its not like him not to call, cos he knows I will worry.I hate not knowing where he is. It doesnt help that I have been laying here most of the night, going over worse case scenarios.
Thanks
Old Feb 6th 2012, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

AJCS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help, Im really worrieD

My OH did the drive from melbourne to Perth. It was exactly the same - couldnt get reception on his phone. I used to phone him loads and couldnt get him. I think he was only able to phone a couple of times on the way - am sure one of the places was called Norseman that he managed to get any reception
Old Feb 6th 2012, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

bibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nicebibblybobbly is just really nice

Originally Posted by AJCS
My OH did the drive from melbourne to Perth. It was exactly the same - couldnt get reception on his phone. I used to phone him loads and couldnt get him. I think he was only able to phone a couple of times on the way - am sure one of the places was called Norseman that he managed to get any reception
OHHHHH, thank you so much for that. Had his mum on skype, and she was also really worried.I couldnt sleep last night, just kept thinking at least hes not alone, but then not knowing the guy hes taken along with him, is that such a good thing.
You have eased my mind tho, so thanks, i appreciate it alot
Old Feb 6th 2012, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

JAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really nice

I hope you hear from him soon - maybe he will find a pay phone at a petrol station and give you a call if he can't get mobile reception.

Old Feb 6th 2012, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

AJCS is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bibblybobbly
OHHHHH, thank you so much for that. Had his mum on skype, and she was also really worried.I couldnt sleep last night, just kept thinking at least hes not alone, but then not knowing the guy hes taken along with him, is that such a good thing.
You have eased my mind tho, so thanks, i appreciate it alot
No problem. I was calling him for everything thinking he had his phone turned off or thought he had slept in haha poor soul!

You cant help worrying though but am sure your OH is having the same trouble.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you. I hope that if he doesnt get mobile reception he does think to stop and call me too.. Going to be sitting on my mobile all day like a broody chicken, but without the feathers lol..
Old Feb 6th 2012, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

It's terrible when you're so used to being able to contact, if you want, whenever you want!

My brother went to Yalata 18 mths ago fishing. No signal the entire time, it's nearly at the border SA/WA so don't stress. From what our truckies tell us, it doesn't get better until you're quite a way the other side into WA so don't panic.

He'll have seem some sights along the way!
Old Feb 6th 2012, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jothefw
It's terrible when you're so used to being able to contact, if you want, whenever you want!

My brother went to Yalata 18 mths ago fishing. No signal the entire time, it's nearly at the border SA/WA so don't stress. From what our truckies tell us, it doesn't get better until you're quite a way the other side into WA so don't panic.

He'll have seem some sights along the way!
Hes heading up to Kalgoorlie on his way, so from what I have seen on tv, all being well, he will see some sights there too i reckon
Old Feb 6th 2012, 11:07 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

What mobile company is he with? Telstra have the best coverage in the bush, but even they don't cover across the Nullabor. Any other company (Vodaphone, 3, Optus, etc) you can forget about coverage outside the capital cities!
Old Feb 6th 2012, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
What mobile company is he with? Telstra have the best coverage in the bush, but even they don't cover across the Nullabor. Any other company (Vodaphone, 3, Optus, etc) you can forget about coverage outside the capital cities!
He has 2, a vodaphone, and the other one is redbull, but dont really understand that one, so dont know what company that is with..
Old Feb 6th 2012, 11:19 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

He has 2, a vodaphone, and the other one is redbull, but dont really understand that one, so dont know what company that is with..
Those networks will have very poor coverage outside of urban areas.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Those networks will have very poor coverage outside of urban areas.
And sometimes within them. I have vodafone and the only reception I get at home is if I stand outside on the patio (or in the street out front).
Old Feb 7th 2012, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

Thank you so much for everyones words of reassurance. Just heard from him, hes 45 mins away from Kalgoorlie. He didnt have any reception all of yesterday, which is why he hadnt called.
Feel so happy now. Feel a bit silly for having worried so much, but you just never know
Thanks once again
Old Feb 7th 2012, 3:27 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Telstra claims NextG coverage all the way across the Nullabor (Eyre Highway). Vodaphone has nothing between Port Augusta and Kalgoorlie. Red Bull appear to use the Vodaphone network, so why anyone would have both is beyond me!
Old Feb 7th 2012, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

peggy76 is on a distinguished road

Thank you so much for everyones words of reassurance. Just heard from him, hes 45 mins away from Kalgoorlie. He didnt have any reception all of yesterday, which is why he hadnt called.
Feel so happy now. Feel a bit silly for having worried so much, but you just never know
Thanks once again
So glad your mind has been put at rest but i would still kick ass, Im sure there was public phones on the way

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.