Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help, im panicking if this is the right thing!

Help, im panicking if this is the right thing!

Old Aug 3rd 2008, 5:50 pm
Just Joined

jimmyandnaomi is a jewel in the roughjimmyandnaomi is a jewel in the roughjimmyandnaomi is a jewel in the roughjimmyandnaomi is a jewel in the roughjimmyandnaomi is a jewel in the rough
Default Help, im panicking if this is the right thing!

Hi there,

Im totally new to all this so sorry in advance if i ramble.

My husband and I are in the process of trying to move over to perth with our two young boys, and today ive just had a sudden case of the doubts set in. Suddenly things that seemed so clear are now scaring the life out of me!

Ive a load of questions and am beginning to panic that i may be better to move somewhere else in the Uk and save on the fear factor. Here's just a small selection of my worries that if anyone can help ease i'd be eternally grateful!

* How long does shipping take? i'd assume i wouldnt have my goods straight away but now im seeing the phrase '3 months' suddenly pop up and panicking what am I going to do for clothes/furniture/toys to start with?

*I keep hearing how aus is getting really expensive is this true compared to the uk? i dont want to take my kids with the promise of a better life and end up skint and leaving in a hole!

*where are you best to stay until managing to rent an apartment (especially if you've no furniture,cause its on a ship somewhere, lol!) a hotel seems a little steep (price wise)

If anyone can answer my ramblings, thanks and if anyone wants to throw in any additional info that you think i might need to know then feel free.

Naomi x
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

claire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud ofclaire hopkins has much to be proud of
Default Re: Help, im panicking if this is the right thing!

Naomi,

Firstly Hun don't panic! If you ship your stuff a couple of months before you go you won't have to wait as long for your bits once you get there. If you go with Singapore Air you can have 40kg each luggage allowance as long as you can prove you are emigrating ie visas in passports for PR etc.

You can rent a place as a holiday rental which come fully furnished, yes a little dearer but no utilities to pay, I think Perth is still comparable to the UK but such a lovely place hopefully to be in.

If your panicking think of us we fly out on 2nd Sept with just our luggage as we are not shipping anything, we don not have jobs as yet and are going on a strict budget, we have rented a nice 4 bed 2 bath holiday rental in safety bay for $680 a week which seems an average cost, we could have done it cheaper by going into a smaller place but we live in a 4 bed 3 bath here and feel it is a big enough change for the children of 14 & 12 to deal with let alone going in a 2 bed place and sharing a room which is a no no for them! We have rented for 4 weeks so are hoping to secure a permanent rental in that time, we do have a reference to pass on to letting agents over there as we have been renting over here for the last 3 years.

It has all happened so fast for us as we only got our visa on 1st July, so now our house is rapidly emptying as more of our stuff is sold.

I think it is easier for us as we are not materialistic at all and have a very minimalist style within our home. It does help that we have bribed the kids with giving them $1000 each to buy what they like when we get there ie if they want another Wii or Xbox they can, all they are taking is their portable DVD players and dvd's all taken out of their cases, DS lites and Jordan our eldest is taking Sega Megadrive and games, I look at it they haven't got loads of clothes and we will be going into spring time when we arrive so we will only need shorts t shirts etc, so they can make up their 40kg with personal stuff, though a friend has said she will ship a box of stuff out if we want her to. Our motto is New Country, New Start, New Life so I can't wait to hit IKEA to kit out a house, Paul's brother reckons we can kit a house out with the essentials for $10,000 ie furniture, white goods etc.

Please look at the advantages to living in Aus compare to UK, this country is going down the pan at the moment I cannot wait to start my new life over there but I am very anxious about leaving my family but you have to live your own lives and what is best for you your partner and kids and not worry about what the rest think.

Good luck and keep us posted!!

Claire x
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

jimmyandnaomi is a jewel in the roughjimmyandnaomi is a jewel in the roughjimmyandnaomi is a jewel in the roughjimmyandnaomi is a jewel in the roughjimmyandnaomi is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by claire hopkins
Naomi,

Firstly Hun don't panic! If you ship your stuff a couple of months before you go you won't have to wait as long for your bits once you get there. If you go with Singapore Air you can have 40kg each luggage allowance as long as you can prove you are emigrating ie visas in passports for PR etc.

You can rent a place as a holiday rental which come fully furnished, yes a little dearer but no utilities to pay, I think Perth is still comparable to the UK but such a lovely place hopefully to be in.

If your panicking think of us we fly out on 2nd Sept with just our luggage as we are not shipping anything, we don not have jobs as yet and are going on a strict budget, we have rented a nice 4 bed 2 bath holiday rental in safety bay for $680 a week which seems an average cost, we could have done it cheaper by going into a smaller place but we live in a 4 bed 3 bath here and feel it is a big enough change for the children of 14 & 12 to deal with let alone going in a 2 bed place and sharing a room which is a no no for them! We have rented for 4 weeks so are hoping to secure a permanent rental in that time, we do have a reference to pass on to letting agents over there as we have been renting over here for the last 3 years.

It has all happened so fast for us as we only got our visa on 1st July, so now our house is rapidly emptying as more of our stuff is sold.

I think it is easier for us as we are not materialistic at all and have a very minimalist style within our home. It does help that we have bribed the kids with giving them $1000 each to buy what they like when we get there ie if they want another Wii or Xbox they can, all they are taking is their portable DVD players and dvd's all taken out of their cases, DS lites and Jordan our eldest is taking Sega Megadrive and games, I look at it they haven't got loads of clothes and we will be going into spring time when we arrive so we will only need shorts t shirts etc, so they can make up their 40kg with personal stuff, though a friend has said she will ship a box of stuff out if we want her to. Our motto is New Country, New Start, New Life so I can't wait to hit IKEA to kit out a house, Paul's brother reckons we can kit a house out with the essentials for $10,000 ie furniture, white goods etc.

Please look at the advantages to living in Aus compare to UK, this country is going down the pan at the moment I cannot wait to start my new life over there but I am very anxious about leaving my family but you have to live your own lives and what is best for you your partner and kids and not worry about what the rest think.

Claire x
Hi Claire,

Thanks for your reply, one part of me is so excited and the other part is on one hell of a rollercoaster of emotions! After reading your message im going to try and chill a little and hope for the best, good luck with your move and have a safe flight over.

All the best,
naomi x
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

Sonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really nice

Naomi,

Claire x
Excellent post...You are right about living your own lives. We are in exactly the same boat. We are moving into my in laws in a few weeks for 18mths to save up!!!
Im worried about shipping, jobs, house etc but im sure these things will work out in time.

We are heading to Perth too, which area are you going too?
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

lexycam is on a distinguished road
Arrow Re: Help, im panicking if this is the right thing!

Hi Jimmyandnaomi

You are not alone feeling like this and I am sure it is absolutely normal. If you were completely blase then that would probably be abnormal!!

I will admit that I am very lucky as I have family in Adelaide where we are heading and they have been there for about 3 years and have done most of the ground work for me.

However, about 3 months ago I had my first 'wabbles' and then again about 2 weeks ago. I am moving alone with my 2 boys aged 12 and 14 and altho I keep telling them it will be the best thing ever, I keep thinking what if it goes wrong and i screw them up that they will need counselling when they are older!!!

I moved out of my house last week and am living with family so when the visa comes thru we are ready to up and go also hoping nothing goes wrong (we applied for 176 in Feb and are waiting for CO, hoping it wont be much longer). As i was packing my stuff, i cried every time i put something away. I spoke to my cousin in aus and she reassured me saying it was absolutely normal and that she had been thru all the same emotions.

As for the packing I have gone thru my house with a fine tooth comb, there are some things that i have decided to take and lots that i have either given to charity shops or thrown out. We have put our furniture in storage and it is packed and ready to go when we get the go ahead. |we have gone for part container which apparently takes about 10 weeks, so i will arrange for it to go as soon as i hear about the visa and make sure we are there when just before it arrives. Full containers, I believe take less time.

I also go on another forum which is for adelaide, and on there they have rentals for people when they first arrive. I hope I am right in saying this, but there is a weekly cost which includes all bills and the rentals are completely fully furnished and they are for short terms especially for people like yourself. It makes it feel bit like home instead of staying in a hotel. Also depending on the visa there is the meet and greet service, dont know much about this tho or anyone who has used it.

Have you googled to see if there is a forum for Perth??? if there is one, that might be a good one to look at.

we are travelling very light at the moment. We have kept back one ps2 and some games and DVD's and just our clothes and toiletries etc. i suppose it depends on how old your kids are as to what you need to keep. Maybe just look at what is there favourite bits.

god you thought you had rambled on listen to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do hope this helps a bit. If you are still unsure, think of it as an adventure. thats what i have told my 2. I have said we will give it 2 years and if after that time we are really unhappy we will look at coming back and use it as a fabulous way to see part of the world and some life experience for them for when they are older. I just see it as what do you have to lose. OK it might cost abit, but happiness is usually worth more.

if you ever need to sound off, I am a very good listener, just pm me and if i can help i will and if i cant i will try and help you find a way to.

What visa are you going for and where in the process are you????

take care and keep smiling it is a very rocky and emotional journey, which i am sure will be well worth it... (see i am still rambling!!!!!!!)

Amanda
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

lexycam is on a distinguished road

Naomi,

Claire x

Hi Claire

totally agree and glad to hear that you have been told you can kit out your house for 10k thats fab news. Sorry i have doubled up on your reply, hopefully tho that will reassure jimmyandnaomi. Great news about your visa and the best of luck on your new life.

Old Aug 3rd 2008, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

The Clarkeys has a brilliant futureThe Clarkeys has a brilliant futureThe Clarkeys has a brilliant futureThe Clarkeys has a brilliant futureThe Clarkeys has a brilliant futureThe Clarkeys has a brilliant future

we started this process over 18 months ago, after talking about it off and on for the 2 years before that and I STILL have regular wobbles

this forum has loads of info about all the things you are worried about, have a good look round and if you can't find an answer, just ask and somebody does!!

its a hell of ride this emigrating lark with plenty of ups and downs along the way but i'm sure it will all be worth it once we are out there
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Help, im panicking if this is the right thing!

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your replies! I have a telephone interview for a job in 2 wks in claremont which im hoping 2 get so i can get my 457 visa to come over on. I think my panics related to how huge perth is, i dont want to end up messing up for the sake of my kids. There aged 1 and 6 so i have to find somewhere thats an easy commute, reasonably priced and has a good school, dont ask for much do I, lol!

I know i'll regret this if i dont go, but its so scary i feel like a kid again! i have so much respect for the people who have made the move and lived to tell the tale, lol!

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to read the thread and especially to those who replied.

Naomi x