Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help, husband is giving up!!

Help, husband is giving up!!

Old May 30th 2009, 11:29 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help, husband is giving up!!

Originally Posted by Deancm
They can't exactly stop people resigning. It's not the military.
No, they can't stop people from resigning but our HOD said he wouldn't accept them until after the moretoreum was lifted. I'm sure it was his way of saying we were indispensible. Either way, WAHealth is not hiring anyone except medical or nursing staff right now. Lucky me...I was one of the first to not have a contract renewed under the new scheme and one of the few to be hired for permanent positions since February.
Old May 30th 2009, 11:36 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
No, they can't stop people from resigning but our HOD said he wouldn't accept them until after the moretoreum was lifted. I'm sure it was his way of saying we were indispensible. Either way, WAHealth is not hiring anyone except medical or nursing staff right now. Lucky me...I was one of the first to not have a contract renewed under the new scheme and one of the few to be hired for permanent positions since February.
I am good friends with the ex Director of Nursing at RPH and the ex CEO of King Eddys. They were saying exactly the same thing. Stuffs my chances of getting part time work in medical any time soon even with their personal references.
Old May 30th 2009, 12:03 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
I am good friends with the ex Director of Nursing at RPH and the ex CEO of King Eddys. They were saying exactly the same thing. Stuffs my chances of getting part time work in medical any time soon even with their personal references.
Have sent you a PM.
Old May 30th 2009, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

Malcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lastere
do you need an outstanding cover letter to be a janitor? SWEET !!!!!

?? sweet
Old May 30th 2009, 2:10 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't read the whole thread but just wanted to let the OP know that my experience RE emailing about volunteer work was the same- I eventually had to phone and insist on coming straight over to sign up. It's mental really as I volunteer for an in-schools programme working with refugee kids and there's so much need and yet I first saw the post advertised on SEEK and went through 4 agencies to get to who was actually responsible for getting me into the classroom and it took 7 weeks and only happened because I phoned and harrassed every step of the way. Email is useless for getting a reply when you're not top priority- you need a more 'present' approach.
Old May 31st 2009, 8:25 am
lotte

charlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nice

Originally Posted by vicki78
We arrived to Perth just over a month ago and my husband is struggling to find a job. He sent endless of applications through SEEK and the government jobsearch website and nobody is getting back to him. That is the problem really that he gets no reply at all from anyone, they don't even bother to say no to him. He even tried volunteer jobs to get to know people and get some experience and even they don't reply! He worked for Royal Mail in the UK and already tried AusPost but they wouldn't employ him either because he hasn't got motorcycle licence and they have appearently no other vacancies in other departments. He is now really fed up and wants to go home and I find it difficult to try to encourage him to give it longer and keep trying.
And before anybody says that what did we expect especially in these times of recession, we are aware of all that, but what worries me is that nobody replying any of his e-mails, not even the volounteer organisations. Is this the norm? Would he be better off if he called people instead of e-mailing them? Has anybody else been through similar experiences and felt that just hitting a brick wall?
He is really hard working and a lovely person and seems to me nobody wants to give him a chance. And it really upsets me seeing him like this, and I really want to avoid going back to England.
Can anybody give me some advice please as to what is the best way to approach employers and secure some kind of employment.
Hi - this is just a thought, I am a nurse and a colleague worked in the royal mail in the uk and has ended up as a porter in our hospital. He chose this role over a mail job out here (and seems to enjoy it) and I just thought I could mention this to you. Obviously you have all your police checks etc so good luck with the search.
fingers crossed for you.
best regards
Charlotte
Old May 31st 2009, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Just wanted to wish you luck and tell you to keep plugging away
I got to Aus in Feb 2004 as a fully skilled gas fitter / plumber and it took 6 months to get a job...... over 200 emails and only 30 odd replies, so stick with it
Old May 31st 2009, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

vicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Rossi
Just wanted to wish you luck and tell you to keep plugging away
I got to Aus in Feb 2004 as a fully skilled gas fitter / plumber and it took 6 months to get a job...... over 200 emails and only 30 odd replies, so stick with it
Thanks Rossi.
Well done for getting a job.
Old May 31st 2009, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

scotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nice

Our postie delivers on a bicycle (Melbourne inner suburb)
Old Jun 1st 2009, 6:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Hi sallyclaire, thanks for advice.
Ive been following your posts even before we moved out. How are you getting on especially at work, do you like it? Hows your hubby getting on with his job?
We've been to the Redlynch area before and absolutely loved it! You made a good choice with the location, it's paradise.

Vicki
Yes, very happy with location just unfortunate that OH is down in Townsville for now Work for me is going well
Out of interest, why did you settle on WA?
Old Jun 1st 2009, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

vicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Yes, very happy with location just unfortunate that OH is down in Townsville for now Work for me is going well
Out of interest, why did you settle on WA?
Perth is a beautiful city, very clean, no crowds.
Beautiful and easily accessible beaches, national parks, little population, still very untouched and not as built up as the the Eastern Coast.
And we can always watch as the sun sets behind the ocean.

It wasn't an easy decision, we didn't want to go to Melbourne or Sydney (too built up) so it was either Perth, Adalaide, Brisbane or Cairns.

Cairns will always be a special place for me, it is still in the cards, so we might move there one day.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

Not sure if this helps but Universities (an some Gov depts) have "temp pools" where the pay is pretty good and you can pick and choose (within reason!) what you want do, I would contact them direct and not go through agencies too much (that is only from my experience)

We arrived to Perth just over a month ago and my husband is struggling to find a job. He sent endless of applications through SEEK and the government jobsearch website and nobody is getting back to him. That is the problem really that he gets no reply at all from anyone, they don't even bother to say no to him. He even tried volunteer jobs to get to know people and get some experience and even they don't reply! He worked for Royal Mail in the UK and already tried AusPost but they wouldn't employ him either because he hasn't got motorcycle licence and they have appearently no other vacancies in other departments. He is now really fed up and wants to go home and I find it difficult to try to encourage him to give it longer and keep trying.
And before anybody says that what did we expect especially in these times of recession, we are aware of all that, but what worries me is that nobody replying any of his e-mails, not even the volounteer organisations. Is this the norm? Would he be better off if he called people instead of e-mailing them? Has anybody else been through similar experiences and felt that just hitting a brick wall?
He is really hard working and a lovely person and seems to me nobody wants to give him a chance. And it really upsets me seeing him like this, and I really want to avoid going back to England.
Can anybody give me some advice please as to what is the best way to approach employers and secure some kind of employment.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 3:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Perth is a beautiful city, very clean, no crowds.
Beautiful and easily accessible beaches, national parks, little population, still very untouched and not as built up as the the Eastern Coast.
And we can always watch as the sun sets behind the ocean.

It wasn't an easy decision, we didn't want to go to Melbourne or Sydney (too built up) so it was either Perth, Adalaide, Brisbane or Cairns.

Cairns will always be a special place for me, it is still in the cards, so we might move there one day.
Hopefully we will get over there one day to see it!
How is your job going?
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 4:32 am
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of

I was having the same problem until 2 weeks ago. I was applying for roles through Seek (which often don't have contact details listed on the advert, which in turn makes it difficult to call the company to introduce yourself). I was just getting zero response, which was incredibly frustrating, because I am a professional person with great experience. So I completed re-wrote my resume, I attached a great reference to the cover letters that I was sending out and I made extra sure to tailor each and every cover letter to the job. I think the cover letters are what do it, rather than the CV's IYKWIM, they are what the hiring manager reads in the first instance.

I have since had five interviews in the past two weeks - they all went very well, and it's now a waiting game to see if I get any offers.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Hopefully we will get over there one day to see it!
How is your job going?
I've only started my job, seems OK and the people are friendly, however it is not the area that I would like to do or have experience in.
I'm still looking though and applying for various other nursing jobs and just see what happens.

Vicki

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.