Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help, hubby has changed his mind!¬

Help, hubby has changed his mind!¬

Old Aug 10th 2003, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

Linda Spilman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help, hubby has changed his mind!¬

Hello everyone, I am new to this site. My problem is that my husband and I (& 2 kids) have our visas, the house is up for sale, we're suppossed to be moving to Melbourne early next year but hubby has now had a change of heart! His reasons for this are varied and I do understand them but if we don't go I'll always have that "what if?" factor.
I'll briefly explain his reasons and would appreciate any reply comments.
1) Education - not happy about the fact that our 4 yr old daughter can apparently only get 3 max kindergarten sessions p/w when come Sept here she will be going to school 5 full days p/w. Likewise son, aged nearly 2 will not even be able to start kindergarten until he is 4 & 1/2.
2) Health care / family support - our son is diabetic & it is a worrying unknown quantity about level of health care. Also, although we don't have much family support here, we do have a little and it would appear that he will probably be in & out of hospital on a regular basis which makes it difficult to cover care for daughter.
3) Financial / lifestyle - hubby hates job as printer & was hoping to get out of it, but we will loose son's disability allowance & rate of exchange isn't as good as it was in Nov when we started process, so we will probably still have a mortgage & he will still probably have to do printing.
4) I don't think all the negative comments from PB etc have helped although I do try to tell him that people who are enjoying it are probably too busy to come onto the forum as often as him!

Help, what can I say to change his mind?!
Old Aug 10th 2003, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

liz and mark is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help, hubby has changed his mind!¬

Hi Iam sure most people can sit down and think of reasons not to go but you have to remember why you wanted to leave in the first place. To apply for a visa I know for us was not just for a laugh and we had genuine reasons to leave and like your husband I have worried about education, healthcare etc but I think of all the other people who have gone and have not had problems. As for hubbys job you say he does not like printing well stay here and he is more than likely going to have to stay printing else why is he still doing it?
I can see where you are coming from with your son but Im sure there are other families with similar problems and everything has worked out fine. Have you looked in to the healthcare regarding diabeties in melbourne maybe if you did this would put your minds at rest.
Anyway good luck and I hope you make the right choice.

Liz and Mark
Old Aug 10th 2003, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

desmund is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Linda Spilman
Hello everyone, I am new to this site. My problem is that my husband and I (& 2 kids) have our visas, the house is up for sale, we're suppossed to be moving to Melbourne early next year but hubby has now had a change of heart! His reasons for this are varied and I do understand them but if we don't go I'll always have that "what if?" factor.
I'll briefly explain his reasons and would appreciate any reply comments.
1) Education - not happy about the fact that our 4 yr old daughter can apparently only get 3 max kindergarten sessions p/w when come Sept here she will be going to school 5 full days p/w. Likewise son, aged nearly 2 will not even be able to start kindergarten until he is 4 & 1/2.
2) Health care / family support - our son is diabetic & it is a worrying unknown quantity about level of health care. Also, although we don't have much family support here, we do have a little and it would appear that he will probably be in & out of hospital on a regular basis which makes it difficult to cover care for daughter.
3) Financial / lifestyle - hubby hates job as printer & was hoping to get out of it, but we will loose son's disability allowance & rate of exchange isn't as good as it was in Nov when we started process, so we will probably still have a mortgage & he will still probably have to do printing.
4) I don't think all the negative comments from PB etc have helped although I do try to tell him that people who are enjoying it are probably too busy to come onto the forum as often as him!

Old Aug 10th 2003, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

desmund is an unknown quantity at this point
Default hubby changed mind

I think to do this both of you have to be committed 100% else there are going to be lots of arguments when times are tough like " you made me come here". I have lived in several different countries, some of which I really didnt want to be in and have been in this situation, both of us want to make this transition so it is easier but you have to understand where he is coming from and sit down and make a list of pros and cons for both of you and if they tally well good luck

arlene
Old Aug 10th 2003, 6:18 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Though I'm sure this will be shot down by the eternal pessimists the education system seems to do very well considering they start later than us. Both of our children will be going back slightly but this is not necessarily a bad thing.

With regards to the little ones I don't know what your financial situation is but I would be looking at it as an opportunity to spend more time with them. This is one of the big reasons for us moving. I'm fed up with the rat race and spending over 3 hours a day in a car travelling to and from work.

Yes I can imagine the feelings of unease on this but as the previous post has said people must have had the same situation and I'm sure you'll get some feedback on it

Yep the exchange rate and house price increases mean that we will probably need a small mortgage. I think (and I mean no offence when I say this cos I'm guilty of it to) that it would have been a bit of a dream for a mortgage free life. I am looking at working for a few years doing the same job while I investigate what I want to do next (Scuba diving instructor is the dream)

Facts are there are positives and negatives to the great move but its all a question of balance. Every country has its good bits and its sh*t bits its whether the good vs sh*t weighs up for you as individuals. PB can have some interesting things to say but he is far to absorbed in being PB and living up to his rep. If you take for example his constant cut and pastes of news stories picking out the worst. Well we could totally blow him away with some horror stories from the UK press. Murders, rape old people being mugged, NHS near collapse. There is crime and problems in OZ no doubt but we have got worse problems

If you have the visas and if like us you have had to jump through hoops to get them then you have got to do it. You will always regret it wondering what life might have been like.

It isn't going to be a bed of roses but you have had the courage to come this far, ask yourself this

"In twenty years time do I want to be living the same life, all comfortable and cosy or do I want to get out and see the world do something with my life. Dare to be different.

We are going to Melbourne to and yes I get scared but I am so excited at the prospect of the new things and experiences me and my family are gonna have

PS For the pessimists out there I know it isn't going to be easy and Oz has its problems. It will have things I won't like. But I do want to try it and I'm going with the mind that I aint coming back
Old Aug 10th 2003, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

Linda Spilman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by liz and mark
Hi Iam sure most people can sit down and think of reasons not to go but you have to remember why you wanted to leave in the first place. To apply for a visa I know for us was not just for a laugh and we had genuine reasons to leave and like your husband I have worried about education, healthcare etc but I think of all the other people who have gone and have not had problems. As for hubbys job you say he does not like printing well stay here and he is more than likely going to have to stay printing else why is he still doing it?
I can see where you are coming from with your son but Im sure there are other families with similar problems and everything has worked out fine. Have you looked in to the healthcare regarding diabeties in melbourne maybe if you did this would put your minds at rest.
Anyway good luck and I hope you make the right choice.

Liz and Mark
Thanks for your comments. Yes we have looked at the level of care for diabetes & as far as regularity of checkups with consultants, it appears the same but what we cannot find out is how much contact we would have with a diabetic nurse which we have unlimited access to here. Also we would have to apy for his insulin there although it is not much.
As for Geoff's job, he could possibly get out of it if we downsized house here which he could also do there but if anything we would like a bigger house not smaller! I know it's a case of priorities, it's just that we don't seem able at present to work ours out!!
Old Aug 10th 2003, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Linda Spilman
Thanks for your comments. Yes we have looked at the level of care for diabetes & as far as regularity of checkups with consultants, it appears the same but what we cannot find out is how much contact we would have with a diabetic nurse which we have unlimited access to here. Also we would have to apy for his insulin there although it is not much.
As for Geoff's job, he could possibly get out of it if we downsized house here which he could also do there but if anything we would like a bigger house not smaller! I know it's a case of priorities, it's just that we don't seem able at present to work ours out!!
Why not validate the visa with a holiday then at least you'll have 4/5 years to decide for real if its want you both want!
best of luck
rach, mark and chanelle :scared:
Old Aug 10th 2003, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Have to agree with nosuchluck at the moment we are all for it but we have decided if we change our minds we will definately validate so the option will be around for five years.

Best of luck i hope it all works out for you and your family.

footie chick
Old Aug 10th 2003, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

karen and andy is an unknown quantity at this point

good idea rach.

If i felt that way i would definately validate.

Cheers

Karen
Old Aug 10th 2003, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah

Go on that holiday and get it validated. As for PB , take no notice. I could give a postive to every negative he gives. Im from Aus and my brother lives not too far from PB. I have a few friends in Perth and we are movng to Melbourne once our house has been sold. It has taken me 14 years for my husband to agree to move to Aus. It is a 100% full steam ahead for my husband and I do feel that this total committment needs to be forthcoming from your hubby. I also feel that the comments he has made regarding not wanting to go sound like he is very worried of the unknown once there. Sorry peeps, but I think alot of men like to plod along and not take chances. My hubby is very much like this but has come to realise chances need to be taken to improve things sometimes.
Ive rambled a bit but I hope this helps you some

Best of luck

BooBoo
Old Aug 10th 2003, 8:56 pm
suz
Forum Regular

suz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Linda,
We also went through times during our application when either my husband or myself decided it might not be for us, but we have come out of the tunnel! I think its normal to go through all of that, it is a very big move and like us you have no relatives etc there, but I always looked at (a) better to have a smaller mortgage and larger house (b) having talked to many people re education etc everyone decided it was quite a good thing for the kids to go back a year, too much pressure, here in our area for the kids in school (c) have to agree with footie chick and nosuch luck, better to have validated and seen for yourselves what the possibilities are than not to have looked at all. I am sure there are allot of support groups like in uk, that issue of support is the main worry for me too we are very used to having family and close friends to help out if needed, it is a bit of a risk but the downside is exactly what you said " what if " Anyhow, try and ride it out for a while he might just change his mind again! good luck with it all.
Suz
Perth 10th Nov
Old Aug 10th 2003, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Woodcroft, 25 kms south of Adelaide South Australia
wizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the rough

Just adding my 20 cents worth here.........I emigrated 12 1/2 years ago.

Whatever you do, don't emigrate unless both of you are 100% committed to the move. No matter how committed you are it WILL put the greatest strain on your marriage and family life that you could ever imagine. If you are both not supporting the move 100% then my advice is don't do it.
Old Aug 10th 2003, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

hi ya Linda
They do say, ststistically, that late starters at school do much better than rising 5s.I dont know how true that is but i read it somewhere.
As for hubbies 2nd thoughts,i reckon its only natural.It goes back to the hunter /gatherer/provider malarky,and all the pressure that goes with it.I know that i would be happy to travel for 3 months then choose somewhere to settle,but my hubby wants to be a bit more secure and find a job beforehand.
good luck in whatever you decide.
donna
Old Aug 11th 2003, 12:23 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Linda

We have been here in Sydney for a year and a half, husband was a printer for 22 years and he wanted out of the business asap. But we didn’t make that move in the UK it all seemed too difficult. Possibly downsizing house and/or moving or a new area. It was easier to stay in the same groove. We had a very very nice life and lots and lots of family support. My daughter is partially deaf so hospital visits and appointments and tests are an important part of our lives.

We decided mostly for the challenge we would face to try something different and after quite a few years deciding Aus was the choice. I did get a transfer in my job which helped an awful lot and Andy took five months off. Once kids and rental was sorted he went looking for work here (in print) and didn’t get so much as a nibble as far as jobs went. We did know he had work offers from Melbourne area and around. Well then came the big decision – and he took a job as a new car salesman and loves it. No it doesn’t pay as much as print did/does and he works weekends but he is very happy and contented. We have a bigger house just bought and a pool, but we have a bigger mortgage and less ‘stuff’, eg one car, not two and a motorbike, as we did, we have less eating out, more going out to beach and pool and park, less money in terms of disposable income but less worry about it! Two happy kids in school and working hard and achieving to their levels.

Nope it is not as safe and secure as knowing everything as we did in the UK, a few nasties with costs like dental treatment for braces up in the 1000’sK. But superb coverage on Briony and hearing aids.

We came for a challenge and are enjoying it, I will state I plan to be here for quite a while now but I never say never about moving again, after all we made the move here from the UK! Make your decision based on what the two of you want cause I was not sure when we first decided and did take a long while adjusting (and still am). Resentment did come into it at times but not for long as we are a great family team.

Definitely validate of course and maybe consider renting out the UK house and trying something different for a year, even if it is printing in this country for your husband?

Best of luck

Oh and I have heard lots about later starter schooling - look into the Scottish education system - I am sure they start much later and have very high achieving results within the UK.
Old Aug 11th 2003, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Divorce Him --

No seriously, this is a shit situation to be in. Have you been to Oz before, where are you heading etc? Is he in contact with people who are here already who can advise him on various things. As the guys were saying earlier, you must come and validate at least.
Even if he only has to do printing for a while till you get settled, it's not the end of the world. He can't expect to walk in to a different career of his choice, (don't mean to sound nasty there - sorry). There are lots of pros and cons and unfortunately the desicion has to be made do we go for it and make the best of it or not. There ARE lots of people here who are happy so don't think it can't be done, it's just a bit of a rollercoaster of a ride but it levels out and your life comes together hopefully for the better.
He should stand a good chance of work as a printer here (as apparantley all the printers in Perth are on drugs!!) My hubby is a printer too. (not on drugs (today))
Good luck, I hope you work it out.
Diane

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.