Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

HELP: How to apply for a TFN while still in uk?????

HELP: How to apply for a TFN while still in uk?????

Old Jun 11th 2008, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

NomandNat is just really niceNomandNat is just really niceNomandNat is just really niceNomandNat is just really niceNomandNat is just really niceNomandNat is just really niceNomandNat is just really niceNomandNat is just really nice
Default HELP: How to apply for a TFN while still in uk?????

Hello

Can anyone please tell me the easiest and quickest way to apply for a Tax File Number (TFN) while still living in the uk? My visa status is Permanent Resident and has been validated. What paper work do I require for the process and can it be done by sending to a UK consulate? How long a process is it? Anyone went through this process lately??????

Thanks

Nom
Old Jun 11th 2008, 10:39 pm
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP: How to apply for a TFN while still in uk?????

Unfortunately you have to be in Australia to get a TFN.

You register online here: http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...tent/38760.htm
Old Jun 12th 2008, 4:09 am
Just Joined

elained is an unknown quantity at this point

When you apply (here in oz) if you don't recieve your tax file number within 28 days of applying there's a number you ring and they will give you the TFN over the phone!

I did this in March this year (08), my partner, however, is self employed and got his TFN within a couple of weeks of applying.

hope this helps
elaine
Old Jun 12th 2008, 7:46 am

oliver1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

You don't lose out by not having one when you first arrive. I remember filling in a form when I started work declaring that I don't have a TFN but have applied, and one is on the way. Relaaaax
Old Jun 12th 2008, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

swimmingsaintee will become famous soon enough

you can do it from uk - it's pretty easy. You have to fill in form - I think we gotit on ato website, and send off to ato in Aus with id ( from memory principal birth certificates - its all listed on form). You can't do it online. It's quick - took 3 weeks. However whilst this gives you a tfn it is on a non resident basis - we needed one as we have to do a tax return due to owning a rental property. I haven't checked, but think you can only get non resident tfn if you will have to complete aus tax return or if you wish repayment of witholding tax ( you have to send bank statement for this I think). We had to send rates account in our name as evidence of ownership of income generating asset. It was a while ago I did ours so best to check it all out yourself
So, unless you really need one, prob better to wait. It's the same tfn by the way - ours will stay the same when we become tax resident.
Well, that's my understanding anyway!
Old Jun 12th 2008, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

NomandNat is just really niceNomandNat is just really niceNomandNat is just really niceNomandNat is just really niceNomandNat is just really niceNomandNat is just really niceNomandNat is just really niceNomandNat is just really nice

Originally Posted by swimmingsaintee
you can do it from uk - it's pretty easy. You have to fill in form - I think we gotit on ato website, and send off to ato in Aus with id ( from memory principal birth certificates - its all listed on form). You can't do it online. It's quick - took 3 weeks. However whilst this gives you a tfn it is on a non resident basis - we needed one as we have to do a tax return due to owning a rental property. I haven't checked, but think you can only get non resident tfn if you will have to complete aus tax return or if you wish repayment of witholding tax ( you have to send bank statement for this I think). We had to send rates account in our name as evidence of ownership of income generating asset. It was a while ago I did ours so best to check it all out yourself
So, unless you really need one, prob better to wait. It's the same tfn by the way - ours will stay the same when we become tax resident.
Well, that's my understanding anyway!
Hello and trhanks for the info ESPECIALLY swimmingsaintee! Maybe you can help me more than you think as I too am renting out a small property that we bought last year. I will have to try and sort out this tax stuff and am dreading it big time!!! Can I ask if you did the whole process yourself or went through an accountant with UK/Oz experience? Was it a costly affair and how much of a percentage in tax terms to you have to fork out? Can I please PM you with a few questions?

Regards

Nom & Nat