British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   HELP: How to apply for a TFN while still in uk????? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/help-how-apply-tfn-while-still-uk-542556/)

NomandNat Jun 11th 2008 10:20 pm

HELP: How to apply for a TFN while still in uk?????

Hello

Can anyone please tell me the easiest and quickest way to apply for a Tax File Number (TFN) while still living in the uk? My visa status is Permanent Resident and has been validated. What paper work do I require for the process and can it be done by sending to a UK consulate? How long a process is it? Anyone went through this process lately??????

Thanks

Nom

WS Jun 11th 2008 10:39 pm

Re: HELP: How to apply for a TFN while still in uk?????

Unfortunately you have to be in Australia to get a TFN.

You register online here: http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...tent/38760.htm

elained Jun 12th 2008 4:09 am

When you apply (here in oz) if you don't recieve your tax file number within 28 days of applying there's a number you ring and they will give you the TFN over the phone!

I did this in March this year (08), my partner, however, is self employed and got his TFN within a couple of weeks of applying.

hope this helps
elaine

oliver1982 Jun 12th 2008 7:46 am

You don't lose out by not having one when you first arrive. I remember filling in a form when I started work declaring that I don't have a TFN but have applied, and one is on the way. Relaaaax

swimmingsaintee Jun 12th 2008 7:55 am

you can do it from uk - it's pretty easy. You have to fill in form - I think we gotit on ato website, and send off to ato in Aus with id ( from memory principal birth certificates - its all listed on form). You can't do it online. It's quick - took 3 weeks. However whilst this gives you a tfn it is on a non resident basis - we needed one as we have to do a tax return due to owning a rental property. I haven't checked, but think you can only get non resident tfn if you will have to complete aus tax return or if you wish repayment of witholding tax ( you have to send bank statement for this I think). We had to send rates account in our name as evidence of ownership of income generating asset. It was a while ago I did ours so best to check it all out yourself
So, unless you really need one, prob better to wait. It's the same tfn by the way - ours will stay the same when we become tax resident.
Well, that's my understanding anyway!

NomandNat Jun 12th 2008 9:51 am

Originally Posted by swimmingsaintee (Post 6459583)
you can do it from uk - it's pretty easy. You have to fill in form - I think we gotit on ato website, and send off to ato in Aus with id ( from memory principal birth certificates - its all listed on form). You can't do it online. It's quick - took 3 weeks. However whilst this gives you a tfn it is on a non resident basis - we needed one as we have to do a tax return due to owning a rental property. I haven't checked, but think you can only get non resident tfn if you will have to complete aus tax return or if you wish repayment of witholding tax ( you have to send bank statement for this I think). We had to send rates account in our name as evidence of ownership of income generating asset. It was a while ago I did ours so best to check it all out yourself
So, unless you really need one, prob better to wait. It's the same tfn by the way - ours will stay the same when we become tax resident.
Well, that's my understanding anyway!

Hello and trhanks for the info ESPECIALLY swimmingsaintee! Maybe you can help me more than you think as I too am renting out a small property that we bought last year. I will have to try and sort out this tax stuff and am dreading it big time!!! Can I ask if you did the whole process yourself or went through an accountant with UK/Oz experience? Was it a costly affair and how much of a percentage in tax terms to you have to fork out? Can I please PM you with a few questions?

Regards

Nom & Nat