Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help getting to Auz

Help getting to Auz

Old Nov 21st 2011, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

lloydyb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help getting to Auz

I’m a 32 year old architect and would love to work in Australia for around a year.

I am travelling for five months next year and I will be getting to Australia in July.

As I am travelling prior to my arrival there are no companies willing to sponsor me for a position so far in the future.

I am travelling with my fiancée who is also an architect and can get a working holiday visa as she is 29.

My occupation is on the Skilled Occupation List Schedule 1, and I have passed the points test.

I know that my skill set are in demand but I really need some advice on how and what type of visa to obtain? I think the Independent (Migrant) visa (subclass 175) is the one or perhaps Regional Sponsored (Provisional) Visa (Subclass 487). The only thing is the fees for the 175 seem excessive if I’m only staying for a year.. I’m just not sure!

Can I travel down on a tourist visa, secure a position, and then change my visa to a working visa?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 5:44 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help getting to Auz

It can be done but it involves lying to immigration about your intention to be a "genuine visitor", and I do not need to explain what happens if you are found out. If you think you will only be there for a year, have you considered a 457 visa? It needs sponsorship, but is relatively quick and easier to get than the other ones you mentioned.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 6:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like you are a genuine traveller so unless your visa prohibits you applying for another visa with a no further stay clause, there would be no reason you could not apply for a 457 visa onshore should you find a willing sponsor.

Intent is important though, you should not be travelling with that sole intent. Tourist visaare for tourists, entering the country with someone on a WHV might raise questions about your intent.

It would be better to get the 457 before you travel, if you are confident there are lots of positions might be worth a shot.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 8:16 am
Just Joined

lloydyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you very much for your prompt replies. I have a bit more insight now, and at least I can speak to companies in Australia without looking completely ignorant! Thanks again.