Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help - Furnished accommodation in Brisbane when first arriving

Help - Furnished accommodation in Brisbane when first arriving

Old Aug 21st 2003, 3:51 am
Just Joined

LeaB is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Help - Furnished accommodation in Brisbane when first arriving

I am so glad to have found this forum and am hoping that someone will be able to help. We are hoping to move to Brisbane in the next few months and need to find furnished accommodation for the first couple of months until we find somewhere to buy. I have done some searching on the internet but so far can only find apartments. Since we are bringing our dog and have two children, we need a furnished house in Brisbane. I have also looked at the realestate website but the furnished houses in the holiday rental section are all near the Gold Coast / Sunshine Coast – none in Brisbane itself – and are really expensive (I suppose because they are geared for holiday makers). If anyone knows of any properties, or if you know of any links that I could try then please let me know.

Thank you.
Old Aug 21st 2003, 4:13 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

LeaB

I'm afraid you will struggle to find a fully fenced short-term fully furnished rental. Try this one, there's no price but worth e-mailing to find out. Also, rental of furniture is big here and may be a solution for your short term requirements. Try www.pabs.com.au, they do 2 and four person starter packs which should help if you end up renting somewhere unfurnished. This may be cheaper than than a holiday let type place. Brisbane has lots of 'serviced apartments' for rental on short term basis but prices ill be higher and pets may be a problem.

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...g=&s=qld&t=hol
Old Aug 21st 2003, 4:32 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Help - Furnished accommodation in Brisbane when first arriving

Originally posted by LeaB
I am so glad to have found this forum and am hoping that someone will be able to help. We are hoping to move to Brisbane in the next few months and need to find furnished accommodation for the first couple of months until we find somewhere to buy. I have done some searching on the internet but so far can only find apartments. Since we are bringing our dog and have two children, we need a furnished house in Brisbane. I have also looked at the realestate website but the furnished houses in the holiday rental section are all near the Gold Coast / Sunshine Coast – none in Brisbane itself – and are really expensive (I suppose because they are geared for holiday makers). If anyone knows of any properties, or if you know of any links that I could try then please let me know.

Thank you.
Yes you're going having a wee bit of trouble... if you do manage to find a furnished place, your dog is going to be the problem.

There are not many furnished places to rent in Brisbane, and if you do manage to find one I think Pets are going to be a no no... you are really narrowing your search down .... furnished and pets.

What I suggest is to look at the caravan parks.. I did have link, but I can't find it at the moment. Some of these parks allow pets too, they are furnished. Try searching for "accommodation caravan parks Brisbane" in google ... there is a site which lists them. The caravans are furnished. ... maybe ok for the short term until you get yourself sorted out here

The other thing which you can do is (and personally I think this is the better option) just find a rental house which allows pets... plenty of those if you look. I was in rental for the past 6 years with pets ... then if you don't want to buy your own ... rent some furniture (or pick up some second hand items) until you get your own.

Cheers

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...d&t=res&snf=bs

http://www.rainehorneqld.com.au/

http://www.prd.com.au/search/agency_...ency_code=nrcq

most leases are for 6 months (and 12 months)... but you can manage to get 3 months ones if the property is "for sale"

Last edited by Ceri; Aug 21st 2003 at 4:42 am.
Old Aug 21st 2003, 4:41 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Here's one which is good for pets and is central:

http://www.ozstays.com/6308

but it's about $825/pw. You could rent a good house for half this and rent a house worth of furniture too. Are you having some furniture sent and just need some for short term?
Old Aug 21st 2003, 4:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Got to agree with the other posts your chances of finding any sort of furnished accom that allows pets is just about zero. Ceri's option sounds about the best one and it won't neccessary be a caravan as quite a lot of them have cabins that you can rent with all mod cons. Cannot think of any but most will be close to the coast around Redcliffe, Sandgate, Manley, etc.

This is one of the Biggest

Last edited by Kiwipaul; Aug 21st 2003 at 4:47 am.
Old Aug 21st 2003, 4:52 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
Got to agree with the other posts your chances of finding any sort of furnished accom that allows pets is just about zero. Ceri's option sounds about the best one and it won't neccessary be a caravan as quite a lot of them have cabins that you can rent with all mod cons. Cannot think of any but most will be close to the coast around Redcliffe, Sandgate, Manley, etc.

This is one of the Biggest
There's one (caravan park)in kippa ring... very central to the shops and such (by redcliffe).. not sure if it allows pets though... some parks do some don't.
Personally I'd just rent a house, shortest lease possible (if you leave before the lease .. you just pay for re-advertising of the property on the landlords behalf) then rent some furniture.. probably the cheapest option
Old Aug 21st 2003, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Another alternative is to realise that a lot of aussies are selling their home to build another one and are happy to take a long contract when they sell. That is when you buy you may well find someone who is happy to take a longer settlement, say 90 days, by the time you suss out areas to live work etc, then make a 90 day contract that really is most of a 6 month lease anyway.
Old Aug 21st 2003, 10:22 am
dmf
Forum Regular

dmf will become famous soon enough

We are currently renting a fully furnished 3 bed house in Capabala, South Brisbane. It is very central and easy to get places. You can rent on a short term lease. Have a look at www.happykoalahomes.com. They have been more than helpful.

Dawn
Old Aug 21st 2003, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

Default Help - Furnished accommodation in Brisbane when first arriving

Thank you to everybody for all your helpful suggestions - I'm going to look into them and will let you know how I get on.
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 11:27 pm
Just Joined

Talking Furnished accommodation in Brisbane when first arriving

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions - I have looked into them all and thought I would post my findings for others who are in the same boat.

Here is the summary for a family of four:
Furniture / appliance hire: ±$600 per week + rental house @ ± $200 per week (for the number of bedrooms we need, proximity to CBD, etc. = ± $800 per week. The two caravan parks suggested are $980 or $917 per week for a two bedroom cabin - they haven't got back to me about allowing pets yet.

First prize goes to HAPPY KOALA HOMES www.happykoalahomes.com suggested by Dawn who are charging from $550 to $650 per week FULLY FURNISHED for short term rental AND THEY ALLOW PETS!! They have been really helpful and are even arranging a pre-paid mobile phone number for us before we arrive.

So there are furnished houses out there - it just takes a forum like this to share the information.

LeaB