Reload this Page >

HELP!! Ex British army joining the Australian army

HELP!! Ex British army joining the Australian army

Old Jan 29th 2015, 11:52 am
Just Joined

Rossi998 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile HELP!! Ex British army joining the Australian army

Hello,

I am a 34 and have completed 12 years service with the British Army. I left the Army Due to wanting to spend more time with my with and our new born baby.
I’ve been out of the forces for about a year now and due to unforeseen circumstance’s I am wanting to re-join.

On researching weather I could re-join the British Army or not I stumbled across an Australian forces web site advertising for Serving and Ex serving overseas personnel through the overseas lateral transfer scheme.

Looking at the vacancies they have, everything seems to fit as they have a vacancy for my trade and the rank that I left at. (So fare so good). So I applied with a Expression of interest with my CV as it explains on the web site.

Has anyone ever done this or dose anyone no anything about the proses and how long the application takes?
Old Jan 29th 2015, 12:24 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP!! Ex British army joining the Australian army

Originally Posted by Rossi998
Hello,

I am a 34 and have completed 12 years service with the British Army. I left the Army Due to wanting to spend more time with my with and our new born baby.
I’ve been out of the forces for about a year now and due to unforeseen circumstance’s I am wanting to re-join.

On researching weather I could re-join the British Army or not I stumbled across an Australian forces web site advertising for Serving and Ex serving overseas personnel through the overseas lateral transfer scheme.

Looking at the vacancies they have, everything seems to fit as they have a vacancy for my trade and the rank that I left at. (So fare so good). So I applied with a Expression of interest with my CV as it explains on the web site.

Has anyone ever done this or dose anyone no anything about the proses and how long the application takes?
Hi & welcome. If you do a search on the forum I'm sure there have been others that have done the same thing. One of the guys set up a face book page as well.
Old Jan 29th 2015, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

Thanks

I have done a small search and was something in 2005 but was hoping for something more up to date.
Old Jan 29th 2015, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

Would you no how set the facebook page
Old Jan 30th 2015, 12:09 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Geordie Mandy's husband was UK Army, transferred to Aus. She's not posted on here for a few months, but if you search for her stuff she's giving a fair bit of info over time. I'll ask her to pop in if she's got time.
Old Jan 30th 2015, 4:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

ARRSE has an Australian forum where there are folk who are in process or who have done it. Some say that it's like working in the corner store after you've been used to working in Waitrose (ie very much the B team) but that's not personal experience.
Old Jan 30th 2015, 10:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rossi998
Hello,

Hi there We came over in 2010. Hubby had a year in civvy street inbetween leaving the British army after 25 years and joining as a lateral.
There is a FB page and I know the admin of that group. Things have changed since we came over. Basically you need to get on the oz army recruiting site and send off an expression of interest which I see you have already done. If they have your trade on the list then you receive an email asking for more information and the game begins. It can take up to a year or more for all the process to begin. Its late at night now and my brain has gone to mush but if there is any other info you would I will try and help
Mandy
We certainly don't regret coming over even though the drop from wo2 to Cpl was a bit of a shock.

Last edited by geordie mandy; Jan 30th 2015 at 10:47 am.
Old Jan 30th 2015, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

Wo2 to Cpl!!!!!

Mandy thank you so much for your reply and for your time. I have already sent my expression of interest on the web site along with my CV. I then had an email the next day asking to provide a list of my current and previous driving license’s that I hold. And can I also please provide on where and what institute I conducted all my driving license codes. If I obtain a Driving log, can you please provide a copy.
Please ensure that your CV/Resume is attached on reply. So I think I've sent what they have asked for as fare as I can gather, after sending my CV twice.

It's hard trying to communicate over two different time zones. So I guess now it's just a waiting game. I have so many questions to ask about my family and what the process would be for them and about oz life in general!
Old Jan 31st 2015, 3:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We came over in 2009 by this process. Try joining this fb group https://www.facebook.com/groups/112038224332/?fref=ts
Loads of info and advice there. The dropping of rank is normal - after all, its not actually a 'transfer' as you have to resign one job before you can get the other. We looked on it as an instant promotion rather than demotion. Joining as 'middle management' rather than 'entry level'
Good luck.
Old Jan 31st 2015, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jilliebee
Hi

We came over in 2009 by this process. Try joining this fb group https://www.facebook.com/groups/112038224332/?fref=ts
Loads of info and advice there. The dropping of rank is normal - after all, its not actually a 'transfer' as you have to resign one job before you can get the other. We looked on it as an instant promotion rather than demotion. Joining as 'middle management' rather than 'entry level'
Good luck.
I think this Facebook page has been closed! How hard and long did you find the posses?
Old Feb 1st 2015, 7:54 am
Just Joined

amorris2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
Hi there We came over in 2010. Hubby had a year in civvy street inbetween leaving the British army after 25 years and joining as a lateral.
There is a FB page and I know the admin of that group. Things have changed since we came over. Basically you need to get on the oz army recruiting site and send off an expression of interest which I see you have already done. If they have your trade on the list then you receive an email asking for more information and the game begins. It can take up to a year or more for all the process to begin. Its late at night now and my brain has gone to mush but if there is any other info you would I will try and help
Mandy
We certainly don't regret coming over even though the drop from wo2 to Cpl was a bit of a shock.
I work at Bandiana. There's a few ex British forces guys working there & they seem to be doing ok.
Old Feb 1st 2015, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

The group is still very active. You need to request to join the group though We found the process easy enough but it did take well over a year altogether and the waiting for different steps was frustrating. A lot of the process seems to have changed a bit since we started it in 2007 though so worth trying to get into the OLT facebook group for more up to date info x
Old Feb 7th 2015, 3:06 am
Just Joined

fooman is an unknown quantity at this point

Rossi,

You can send me a PM if you like , I have been in the Oz army for 11 years now after 23 years in the Brits. I have a fair idea on the process.
Old Jul 13th 2015, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

mrsly87 is an unknown quantity at this point

I sent my Expression of interest with my CV 28 days ago I am waiting for a reply. I have just joined the Facebook page for OLT's. Can someone give me some more advice. I am a LCpl in the British Army I am a driver tank transporter operator I have all of my heavy goods licenses My email is <snip>

Thank you

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jul 13th 2015 at 6:01 pm. Reason: Email address removed to save you from the spambots and weirdos! People can contact you via the forum if they wish, thx.
Old Apr 11th 2016, 8:05 am
Just Joined

ollieroyalspence is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys anyone know if any Royal Marines have lateral transferred to the aussie commandos