Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help with car hire from Adelaide Airport

Help with car hire from Adelaide Airport

Old Apr 28th 2010, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of light
Default Help with car hire from Adelaide Airport

Can anyone help?

I seem to be going round in circles trying to book a suitable hire car.

We need to collect from adelaide airport on Tuesday 04/05/10 @ 13.00, and was looking at a 7 day rental.

It needs to be large enough for 2 adults, 2 kids, + a decent amount of luggage (we are being met at the airport by friends who can take some) and be a MANUAL, - I don't want an auto and this is only what seems to be available.

I was thinking of a 'full size', '4WD', or 'MPV type' would be big enough.

I do look at a recommendation for Smile cars but want to collect at airport.

Any suggestions?

Johnnyyt
Old Apr 28th 2010, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of
Default Re: Help with car hire from Adelaide Airport

Pretty much all of the rental companies have an office in a small building just in front of the airport.
So check all of them.

I would guess that it might be very difficult to find a manual rental car though.

On a second thought you might try Britz, they have full size LC Troopcariers set up for touring (proper 4WD) and they come in manual only.
I think that they should be able to deliver to the airport.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks

Johnnyyt
Old Apr 28th 2010, 11:59 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyyt
Thanks

Johnnyyt
You're going to be hard pressed to find a manual rental car. Fleet vehicles are usually automatics - especially larger vehicles.
Old May 2nd 2010, 6:47 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone help?

I seem to be going round in circles trying to book a suitable hire car.

We need to collect from adelaide airport on Tuesday 04/05/10 @ 13.00, and was looking at a 7 day rental.

It needs to be large enough for 2 adults, 2 kids, + a decent amount of luggage (we are being met at the airport by friends who can take some) and be a MANUAL, - I don't want an auto and this is only what seems to be available.

I was thinking of a 'full size', '4WD', or 'MPV type' would be big enough.

I do look at a recommendation for Smile cars but want to collect at airport.

Any suggestions?

Johnnyyt

im going back 3 years ago now, but we got a very cheap car from koala cars on donald bradman drive just a few minutes up the road from the airport - im sure they have a website ...

edit to say - found it;
http://www.koalarentals.com.au/

- they have manual cars, and staff were very helpful and willing to drop it off at the airport for us (we had gone into the place and ended up taking it with us there and then).
we hired a brand new hyundai getz, there were 5 of us - plenty big enough!

they even turned a blind eye to the scraped wheel trims

sue
Old May 3rd 2010, 9:21 am
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

www.airportrentacar.com.au

www.a1carrentals.com.au

www.avis.com.au

are all at adelaide airport - avis are pretty good and cheap enough - you could drop off in the city or at the airport again...
you'll struggle to get a manual though, go for an automatic - just like driving bumper cars - but dont bump it...
Old May 7th 2010, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Got a Ford Territory from thrifty as the web booking page has this as a manual car - got the the rental place and found it was an auto - not happy.

Johnnyyt
Old Jun 9th 2010, 11:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Got a Ford Territory from thrifty as the web booking page has this as a manual car - got the the rental place and found it was an auto - not happy.

Johnnyyt

What did the car hire company say when you said that you ordered a manual? Did they say that it was a "request" rather than an order?

I'm curious to know why you preferred a manual to an auto.