Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help ! Best time to go

Help ! Best time to go

Old Aug 18th 2003, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

Carol & Barry is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help ! Best time to go

Have flights booked for end of december (things to sort and rental contract until then) but wondering if to go to NSW end of September alone (Barry - Carol to follow) to start job hunting/accomodation might be better. Would job prospects be any better during oct/nov/dec
than jan/feb. I would be looking initially at my current profession in freight forwarding. Any thoughts much appreciated.

Barry and Carol
Old Aug 18th 2003, 11:29 pm
Carol in Oz

Default Re: Help ! Best time to go

Originally posted by Carol & Barry
Have flights booked for end of december (things to sort and rental contract until then) but wondering if to go to NSW end of September alone (Barry - Carol to follow) to start job hunting/accomodation might be better. Would job prospects be any better during oct/nov/dec
than jan/feb. I would be looking initially at my current profession in freight forwarding. Any thoughts much appreciated.

Barry and Carol

All I can offer on this one Barry is that Dec/Jan here is the time LOTS of companies close down for the summer holidays here. Schools break up just before Christmas for the 6 week break and the country is mostly on holiday then. (Excepting for those of us still working of course)lol
Also to bear in mind at the end of the year/Jan the market gets flooded with school and uni leavers looking for work also.

September looks like a goer I think

Carol

Old Aug 18th 2003, 11:54 pm
owieb

Originally posted by Carol_in Oz
All I can offer on this one Barry is that Dec/Jan here is the time LOTS of companies close down for the summer holidays here. Schools break up just before Christmas for the 6 week break and the country is mostly on holiday then. (Excepting for those of us still working of course)lol
Also to bear in mind at the end of the year/Jan the market gets flooded with school and uni leavers looking for work also.

September looks like a goer I think

Carol
Totally agree with this, same in Perth, very little going on work wise over December/January.

September is a good time, new financial year has just started so people start spending the budgets!

Old Aug 19th 2003, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Barry and Carol

You would be best off getting over here as soon as you can if you need to get work straight away. Things go dead here over Christmas - don't forget, it is the big summer holiday here and nothing is operating properly. If you came late Nov or even early Dec, you may well just be adding two months to your unemployment. My advice is to get here at least by end of September if not sooner, even if you have to pay more for the tickets - it may save you money in the end.
Old Aug 19th 2003, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

For everyone coming out whose buying a house here I'd get here ASAP. Property prices are upwards and still going strong. We see land going up here by 10 to 60 grand a stage. Release just 3 weeks apart in Northern Bris is an increase of $15,000 a block. And they expect the whole lot to sell on the day. Land prices then flow on to existing houses, owners well aware of any land increases.

I personally would not arrive in Dec, its a very hot time of year, so much closeses down and the traffic is going to equal any horrors you see in the UK, not a time to be needing to run around and organise your entire life . Plus the horrid shock of a hot Christmas my not be a nice experience when you first arrive.
Old Aug 19th 2003, 2:46 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Barry and Carol
Rental accommodation nearer to Christmas has "lower" vacancies... I know as I moved out from one house to another house during November two years ago. I had to find a new home as my then rental house got sold. I found it difficult to find a decent house at the time. Nobody wants to move during these months.

Jobs... it depends. In the service engineering business it is very busy during this period because the refineries have they "shut downs" (servicing) during this time. Also tourism, retail , hair dressing etc, etc are all up of course during this time..

so it totally depends on the type of job . Some things are quiet.. others ..it's the busiest time of the year.

Cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Aug 19th 2003 at 2:50 am.