Reload this Page >

Help - Aviation Industry

Help - Aviation Industry

Old Jun 10th 2012, 11:30 am
Just Joined

carolk2475 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help - Aviation Industry

Hi everyone!

I'm planning on coming over to Oz Dec 2013/Jan 2014 and am hoping to make this a long term, possibly permanent move.

I'm turning 25 this year and have 1 year left of my degree course in Airline and Airport Management. I currently work as a Customer Service Agent for an airline at Heathrow which I love. I've been with the company since March 2011. I also have 2 years experience as an Operartions Planner/Supervisor within a freight forwarding company - mainly focussing on air cargo but also have experience in ocean and road freight.
I want to continue working within an airline/airport environment as I love it and know this is where my career lies. I'm very passionate about the aviation industry!

My dilemma is that I'm unsure of what the best type of visa/options for me are. Would it be worthwhile looking for an employer to sponsor me? Is this something airlines in Australia would be willing to do? Should I try the WHV visa route with the hope of getting sponsored once in Oz?
Or will my options be clearer/easier once the visa changes are put in place on July 1st?

Any advice or information you could give me would be great and very much appreciated!

Whichever way it works out.....I'll make sure I make it to Australia! It's all very exciting!!

C xx
Old Jun 10th 2012, 12:04 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help - Aviation Industry

Originally Posted by carolk2475
Hi everyone!

I'm planning on coming over to Oz Dec 2013/Jan 2014 and am hoping to make this a long term, possibly permanent move.

I'm turning 25 this year and have 1 year left of my degree course in Airline and Airport Management. I currently work as a Customer Service Agent for an airline at Heathrow which I love. I've been with the company since March 2011. I also have 2 years experience as an Operartions Planner/Supervisor within a freight forwarding company - mainly focussing on air cargo but also have experience in ocean and road freight.
I want to continue working within an airline/airport environment as I love it and know this is where my career lies. I'm very passionate about the aviation industry!

My dilemma is that I'm unsure of what the best type of visa/options for me are. Would it be worthwhile looking for an employer to sponsor me? Is this something airlines in Australia would be willing to do? Should I try the WHV visa route with the hope of getting sponsored once in Oz?
Or will my options be clearer/easier once the visa changes are put in place on July 1st?

Any advice or information you could give me would be great and very much appreciated!

Whichever way it works out.....I'll make sure I make it to Australia! It's all very exciting!!

C xx
I'd wait and see the complete changes in July. I'm not sure you're going to be moving here permanently any time soon from the information given but you could get a WHV to check out the place although you are unlikely to get into the work you're after, the airports have masses of people wanting to get into this type of work and there's always a few months of training if you did get in. As you're only able to work at a company for six months tops, it's not worth their while taking you on.

However, as I said wait until July 1st then do the visa wizard on the DIAC website and see if you are able to apply for anything else.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 10:10 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I'd wait and see the complete changes in July. I'm not sure you're going to be moving here permanently any time soon from the information given but you could get a WHV to check out the place although you are unlikely to get into the work you're after, the airports have masses of people wanting to get into this type of work and there's always a few months of training if you did get in. As you're only able to work at a company for six months tops, it's not worth their while taking you on.

However, as I said wait until July 1st then do the visa wizard on the DIAC website and see if you are able to apply for anything else.
I would also add that with the layoffs at the major airlines here over the last year or so it's going to be difficult to find work at any of them on a WHV or to find sponsorship.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/ma...521-1z1fy.html

http://airnation.net/2012/01/04/qant...ff-150-pilots/

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/mor...-1226272181002
Old Jun 10th 2012, 11:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolk2475
Hi everyone!

C xx
You could look for an employer to sponsor you, there is a small chance you would get lucky, some people do, but the more likely outcome by far is that you will be unsuccessful. Have you tried it so far, how did you get on?

Considering it is 11th June now, might as well see what changes come about at the beginning of July. At the moment I do not think that the types of roles you are talking about are on any skills list, have you looked to check this? www.immi.gov.au

A WHV would be a great opportunity to try out Australia and see if it really is for you, but you need to be prepared for it not being anything long term. Most WHV holders do go home at the end of the year. You also need to consider the impact of interrupting your current career trajectory, which clearly is important to you.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 1:29 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Bear in mind the stringent checks required to work airside it would be nigh on impossible to get work whilst on a WHV in your chosen industry.
Like the others have mentioned you should wait until after July1 and then see what skills are on the new lists that come out, plus, I would seriously look at getting sponsored by a company, even on a Temp Business 457 Visa, as that would get you a better foothold here.
Have you been to Oz before??? Its not Britain with sunshine.....in fact it rains more here than UK. I appreciate it can seem exciting and indeed can be a great place to come, but make sure you have no rose tinted spectacles on when you do your research. Some things here are just plain stupid!!
Old Jun 12th 2012, 2:25 am
Just Joined

Micro30 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sent you a PM Carol.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 5:01 am
Dobro

huey is just really nicehuey is just really nicehuey is just really nicehuey is just really nicehuey is just really nicehuey is just really nicehuey is just really nicehuey is just really nicehuey is just really nicehuey is just really nicehuey is just really nice

[QUOTE=paddyo;10113717]Bear in mind the stringent checks required to work airside it would be nigh on impossible to get work whilst on a WHV in your chosen industry.

I presume you refer to the ASIC card. I got my original ASIC whilst on a tourist visa so I don't think security is an issue. Of course lack of jobs may be an issue.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 9:14 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

I would come here on a WHV and see what temp options are available. ASIC is as stringent as a few police checks. It does cost but my employer just paid for it. I think the best option would be to head somewhere cr@p no one want to go unless they are in mining.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 1:03 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=huey;10113882]
Originally Posted by paddyo
Bear in mind the stringent checks required to work airside it would be nigh on impossible to get work whilst on a WHV in your chosen industry.

I presume you refer to the ASIC card. I got my original ASIC whilst on a tourist visa so I don't think security is an issue. Of course lack of jobs may be an issue.
Yay, let's tell people how we got work fraudulently!!! When was this exactly?
Old Jun 13th 2012, 1:23 am
Dobro

huey is just really nicehuey is just really nicehuey is just really nicehuey is just really nicehuey is just really nicehuey is just really nicehuey is just really nicehuey is just really nicehuey is just really nicehuey is just really nicehuey is just really nice

Moneypenny20

I have NEVER worked here on a tourist visa. I have worked on a WHV, Student Visa, 457, and State Sponsored. I have been a citizen for 4 years now and lived in Australia on and off (see above visas) since 1991.

Yes I got my ASIC card whilst on a tourist visa, that does not mean I worked on that visa only that I applied and received my ASIC.

As a pilot who was still going through my license conversion I needed the ASIC to enter security controlled airfields.

Never once did I say I worked on a tourist visa, nor anywhere did I recommend that the original poster works on a tourist visa.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 3:39 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by huey
Moneypenny20

I have NEVER worked here on a tourist visa. I have worked on a WHV, Student Visa, 457, and State Sponsored. I have been a citizen for 4 years now and lived in Australia on and off (see above visas) since 1991.

Yes I got my ASIC card whilst on a tourist visa, that does not mean I worked on that visa only that I applied and received my ASIC.

As a pilot who was still going through my license conversion I needed the ASIC to enter security controlled airfields.

Never once did I say I worked on a tourist visa, nor anywhere did I recommend that the original poster works on a tourist visa.
Apologies for misunderstanding. We get way too many people coming on and suggesting fraudulent behaviour, I lumped you in with them. Sorry again.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 3:44 am
Dobro

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Apologies for misunderstanding. We get way too many people coming on and suggesting fraudulent behaviour, I lumped you in with them. Sorry again.

No worries
Old Jun 13th 2012, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

Pirros is an unknown quantity at this point

This site http://www.pprune.org/has very nice info regarding the aviation world wide.
They have also a dedicated section for Oz
Old Jun 14th 2012, 2:06 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pirros
This site http://www.pprune.org/has very nice info regarding the aviation world wide.
They have also a dedicated section for Oz
And also a great section for p!ss taking!!
Old Jun 14th 2012, 2:07 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by paddyo
And also a great section for p!ss taking!!
IIRC PPRUNE stands for Professional Pilots RUmour NEtwork

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.