Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help on air freight Aussie customs

Help on air freight Aussie customs

Old Sep 28th 2004, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all
Default Help on air freight Aussie customs

I have just been told that I have to list every single item that I am sending air freight with DHL

Does anyone know what the customs charges are in Brisbane. I will be sending some toys, some bedding clothes.

thanks.
Old Sep 28th 2004, 2:25 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help on air freight Aussie customs

Originally Posted by debsy

I have just been told that I have to list every single item that I am sending air freight with DHL

Does anyone know what the customs charges are in Brisbane. I will be sending some toys, some bedding clothes.

thanks.
I just put general stuff "CDs" "books" and customs were fine with that. From memory I think it was about $150, that was for a large box (about 2'x2'x2').
Be warned - when the shippers tell you it has arrived, it is a typically Aussie longwinded process. You go to the Customs place on Airport Drive, sit for ages while they decide to stamp your bit of paper, sit for ages again while someone else reads it, then they will check with you that the goods are yours, personal import stuff and check your passport, then you wait again to be allowed to pay. Then you get the box from the shipper, take it sealed to the AQIS depot (round the back of Customs) where they open it and decide whether its OK.
I had one box, it took me TWO HOURS!!!!
Old Sep 28th 2004, 2:42 pm
Brisbane 7th December

pocketdynamo125 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks.
Hiya,
I work for one of the big air freight carriers (DHL boo hiss) and personally I would not send personal effects airfreight to Australia.
I would seriously think about post as long as the goods are not hugely valuable.
In fact the very large US company I work for has put a ban on such shipments.
The reason is that AU customs treat Air Express Freight and lot more strictly and are of the opinion it should be used for commercial shipping only.

However, DHL are correct, list everything, describe it clearly and give a value for each item.
Bedding clothes would not be sufficent, so you would put it as:
duvet cover, green - qty 1 - unit value - £20 - tot value £20
pillowcase, green - qty 2 - unit value - £5 - tot value £10
etc etc

Customs will hold the shipment automatically as it is personal effects.
They will charge you an admin fee which I cannot remember what it is and fees for any follow up exams, quarantine etc etc.
Firstly check with DHL what they will charge you as not all customs charges are included in your door-to-door price and ask what possible extra fees AU customs could charge. You can also e-mail AU customs for advice.

pocketdynamo
Old Sep 28th 2004, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by pocketdynamo125
Hiya,
I work for one of the big air freight carriers (DHL boo hiss) and personally I would not send personal effects airfreight to Australia.
I would seriously think about post as long as the goods are not hugely valuable.
In fact the very large US company I work for has put a ban on such shipments.
The reason is that AU customs treat Air Express Freight and lot more strictly and are of the opinion it should be used for commercial shipping only.

However, DHL are correct, list everything, describe it clearly and give a value for each item.
Bedding clothes would not be sufficent, so you would put it as:
duvet cover, green - qty 1 - unit value - £20 - tot value £20
pillowcase, green - qty 2 - unit value - £5 - tot value £10
etc etc

Customs will hold the shipment automatically as it is personal effects.
They will charge you an admin fee which I cannot remember what it is and fees for any follow up exams, quarantine etc etc.
Firstly check with DHL what they will charge you as not all customs charges are included in your door-to-door price and ask what possible extra fees AU customs could charge. You can also e-mail AU customs for advice.

pocketdynamo
Poll
looks like I will be there about a week then as I have about ten boxes.

Pocketdynamo - thanks for the reply. I have got about ten massive boxes full of stuff - mainly shoes etc. My customs charges for Aus are not included but the ones for Turkey are. This was the only way that I could find to send my stuff to Aus as I did not have enough for shipping.
Old Sep 28th 2004, 3:08 pm
Brisbane 7th December

pocketdynamo125 is an unknown quantity at this point

Poll
looks like I will be there about a week then as I have about ten boxes.

Pocketdynamo - thanks for the reply. I have got about ten massive boxes full of stuff - mainly shoes etc. My customs charges for Aus are not included but the ones for Turkey are. This was the only way that I could find to send my stuff to Aus as I did not have enough for shipping.
Woah, thats a lot of boxes!
Hope you got a good deal.
As I said, good detailed invoice and track your shipments on the net.
As soon as they arrive start badgering DHL as to what is going on as these kind of delays have a habit of dragging on.
Old Sep 28th 2004, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by pocketdynamo125
Woah, thats a lot of boxes!
Hope you got a good deal.
As I said, good detailed invoice and track your shipments on the net.
As soon as they arrive start badgering DHL as to what is going on as these kind of delays have a habit of dragging on.
Thanks pocket
Old Sep 28th 2004, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I just put general stuff "CDs" "books" and customs were fine with that. From memory I think it was about $150, that was for a large box (about 2'x2'x2').
Be warned - when the shippers tell you it has arrived, it is a typically Aussie longwinded process. You go to the Customs place on Airport Drive, sit for ages while they decide to stamp your bit of paper, sit for ages again while someone else reads it, then they will check with you that the goods are yours, personal import stuff and check your passport, then you wait again to be allowed to pay. Then you get the box from the shipper, take it sealed to the AQIS depot (round the back of Customs) where they open it and decide whether its OK.
I had one box, it took me TWO HOURS!!!!
Oh Poll, I have just re read this I will have about 10 boxes like that and now I am freaking out that it will cost me about 150 for each box :scared:
I have tried to find an email address for the customs but I have had no luck
This freight business is really stressing me out now as I only have less than a week left.
Old Sep 28th 2004, 8:56 pm
At last! We're here!!!

alison_g is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh Poll, I have just re read this I will have about 10 boxes like that and now I am freaking out that it will cost me about 150 for each box :scared:
I have tried to find an email address for the customs but I have had no luck
This freight business is really stressing me out now as I only have less than a week left.
Hi
Just been reading your thread... this does seem a very expensive way of sending stuff. We have just shipped with pss and they quote the following for air freight...
Quote:
Transit time to the airpot is approximately 7-14 days and the rates are as follows:
To arrival at Brisbane airport £2.85 per kilo (excluding customers clearance)
Door to Door Brisbane £6.35 per kilo.
All Air Freight rates are plus £40 Lump Sum UK Handling charge plus £20 NES charge and subject to min of 25 kilos, rates based on collection from your door. Airlines will charge on weight or the volume whichever is the greater (volumetric weight is assessed @ 4.72 kilos per cubic feet)
Any use to you ?????? would it be cheaper to get them to do it or even ship your items which is alot cheaper.
One word of warning if you post the items, we posted a hefty parcel sometime ago when we were having our baby, and ended up being asked to pay $300 in GST because of the insurance value of the item on the customs declaration form which the Post Office here stick on the item! I did a bit of negotiating and got it down abit saying that the value included the postage. Also, the UK stamps were just like new (£100 worth) so I carefully peeled them off and sent them back to my Mum who reused them over the coming months to send more stuff!!!!!
Where abouts in Brissie will you be? we are off towards the end of Oct but have yet to book our flights.
Alison xx
Old Sep 28th 2004, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by alison_g
Hi
Just been reading your thread... this does seem a very expensive way of sending stuff. We have just shipped with pss and they quote the following for air freight...
Quote:
Transit time to the airpot is approximately 7-14 days and the rates are as follows:
To arrival at Brisbane airport £2.85 per kilo (excluding customers clearance)
Door to Door Brisbane £6.35 per kilo.
All Air Freight rates are plus £40 Lump Sum UK Handling charge plus £20 NES charge and subject to min of 25 kilos, rates based on collection from your door. Airlines will charge on weight or the volume whichever is the greater (volumetric weight is assessed @ 4.72 kilos per cubic feet)
Any use to you ?????? would it be cheaper to get them to do it or even ship your items which is alot cheaper.
One word of warning if you post the items, we posted a hefty parcel sometime ago when we were having our baby, and ended up being asked to pay $300 in GST because of the insurance value of the item on the customs declaration form which the Post Office here stick on the item! I did a bit of negotiating and got it down abit saying that the value included the postage. Also, the UK stamps were just like new (£100 worth) so I carefully peeled them off and sent them back to my Mum who reused them over the coming months to send more stuff!!!!!
Where abouts in Brissie will you be? we are off towards the end of Oct but have yet to book our flights.
Alison xx
Hello Alison
We tried sea freight but that was really expensive - about 4,500 usd and it will cost us less than 1000 usd via air freight.
Old Sep 28th 2004, 9:34 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Alison
We tried sea freight but that was really expensive - about 4,500 usd and it will cost us less than 1000 usd via air freight.
Do any of the major shippers operate over your way Debs? Airfreight with them might be cheaper?
Old Sep 28th 2004, 9:40 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Hello Alison

Debsy,

That seams really odd. have you tried excess baggage they do smaller shipments by sea. Takes up to 14 weeks (mainly down to AU customs but it shouldn't be anything like that much.
I'm pretty sure MLBONNER used them, she might be able to help.

I have sent 42 boxes (9.25 cubic meters) Sea freight door to door from sussex to Geraldton for £1739 quite a chunk of that price is becasue it is such a big distance from Fremantle dock to Geraldton. That price included Crown spending a day at my house packing it all up and they also unpack on delivery in Geraldton.

Good luck
Kala
Old Sep 28th 2004, 9:45 pm
Home and Happy

Trouble is Kala shes in the eastern med somewhere ?(think thats right Debs?)
I would use a shipper over a courier like DHL cos they are more used to personal effects, but I guess theres not as much choice there.
Old Sep 28th 2004, 10:00 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Trouble is Kala shes in the eastern med somewhere ?(think thats right Debs?)
I would use a shipper over a courier like DHL cos they are more used to personal effects, but I guess theres not as much choice there.
Oh yeah. Aren't excess baggage over there, I'm sure they are at most aiports, maybe thats just the airfreight side of the company.

Crown relocation have an office in Istanbul, the contact details are on the link, Might be worth a try, I've found them really good so far and haven't come accross a complaint on here yet

http://www.crownrelo.com/web/reloweb.nsf/

Kala
Old Sep 29th 2004, 5:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kala
Oh yeah. Aren't excess baggage over there, I'm sure they are at most aiports, maybe thats just the airfreight side of the company.

Crown relocation have an office in Istanbul, the contact details are on the link, Might be worth a try, I've found them really good so far and haven't come accross a complaint on here yet

http://www.crownrelo.com/web/reloweb.nsf/

Kala
Thanks Kala. I will ring them today. Poll was right - I am living in Turkey so things have been difficult.

I have just called the customs in Brisbane and they answered some of my questions so I feel much better now as we wont have to pay duty on the stuff we are sending as it is all old.
Old Sep 29th 2004, 9:54 am

robertd is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Debsy,
We have dealings with a brilliant shipping agent who deals with all our shipping from China into Brisbane. If you want his number, let me know and I will PM it to you. Nearly here, meet up soon, Louisa

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.