Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

help/advice wanted!

help/advice wanted!

Old Jun 8th 2016, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

Ange_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default help/advice wanted!

Okay, so we currently live in the UK and have been granted perm residence visa for Australia (which we have already validated). We're currently in the process of trying to sell our UK property however as it's been on the market 12 months we may start looking into renting out the property (managed by an agent).

We plan to move to Melbourne .

A few questions really (any help/advice/tips welcome);

Does anyone have any advice on emergency accommodation? We have been told this can be arranged for our arrival before we find more permanent living...

Any advice/tips regarding banking/transferring money?

Any tips for the best job search method (he's a joiner, I work in recruitment/HR/projects)?

I'm new to forums so if there are any other threads that might be useful for me......Please please let me know!!

Thanks in advance!!
Old Jun 8th 2016, 9:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help/advice wanted!

I am not sure what you mean by emergency accommodation. But no accommodation will be arranged for you, you need to book your own short term accommodation as if you were going on holiday. Most people will do this for about a month or so.

Use a broker to transfer money over, try UKFOREX or Moneycorp. You need to set up the account with the broker before you move, so do that soon. It will be hard to set up an account that will allow you to send money from the UK, once you are already overseas.

I don't know much about trades finding work so will pass on that. For you I would try the same avenues that you would do now, many of the recruitment agencies are global. Also try SEEK - Australia's no. 1 jobs, employment, career and recruitment site or just google amd I am sure sonethingsomething will come up.
Old Jun 8th 2016, 9:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I am not sure what you mean by emergency accommodation. But no accommodation will be arranged for you, you need to book your own short term accommodation as if you were going on holiday. Most people will do this for about a month or so.

Use a broker to transfer money over, try UKFOREX or Moneycorp. You need to set up the account with the broker before you move, so do that soon. It will be hard to set up an account that will allow you to send money from the UK, once you are already overseas.

I don't know much about trades finding work so will pass on that. For you I would try the same avenues that you would do now, many of the recruitment agencies are global. Also try SEEK - Australia's no. 1 jobs, employment, career and recruitment site or just google amd I am sure sonethingsomething will come up.
Thank you so much for your response!!
I think the emergency accommodation was something mentioned to us by our emigration agent.... I think I would feel more comfortable booking our own (and no doubt it's cheaper to do it ourselves!!).
Thank you again for your help!
Old Jun 8th 2016, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

skinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really nice

I set up an ANZ account well before my arrival and got my bank to transfer the funds prior to moving. I think I got a reasonable rate at the time. you then present yourself at the nominated branch in Australia, mine ended up about 300kms from where we were staying(Suburb with the same name as a town.LOL. Do check that!).Seek.com and Career one. are worth scanning. In the trades field I was told that presenting yourself at the business premises and introducing yourself works well down here. My trade didn't lend itself to that approach so cannot vouch for that. You could look on here for advice on Melbourne suburbs and see about getting a rental for 6 months. Estate Agents said they like us poms as we look after the properties and generally money was never an issue. Get references from banks etc about your money dealings, credit history. Saves time once you are here. Even a letter from your neighbours regarding how you were to live next to carries weight if you need to rent. Google suburb news pages and see whats happening. We had friends in Dandenong(East of Melbourne). Was nice in `89 but heard its gone down hill quite badly, that's just what Ive heard. And as said get your UK internet banking set up while you are there(You probably do it already) as once here it may not be possible(wasn't with my bank anyway).
Old Jun 9th 2016, 7:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by skinnygeorge
I set up an ANZ account well before my arrival and got my bank to transfer the funds prior to moving. I think I got a reasonable rate at the time. you then present yourself at the nominated branch in Australia, mine ended up about 300kms from where we were staying(Suburb with the same name as a town.LOL. Do check that!).Seek.com and Career one. are worth scanning. In the trades field I was told that presenting yourself at the business premises and introducing yourself works well down here. My trade didn't lend itself to that approach so cannot vouch for that. You could look on here for advice on Melbourne suburbs and see about getting a rental for 6 months. Estate Agents said they like us poms as we look after the properties and generally money was never an issue. Get references from banks etc about your money dealings, credit history. Saves time once you are here. Even a letter from your neighbours regarding how you were to live next to carries weight if you need to rent. Google suburb news pages and see whats happening. We had friends in Dandenong(East of Melbourne). Was nice in `89 but heard its gone down hill quite badly, that's just what Ive heard. And as said get your UK internet banking set up while you are there(You probably do it already) as once here it may not be possible(wasn't with my bank anyway).
Great advice! Thank you so much for your response! : )
Old Jun 9th 2016, 10:24 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I echo Bermuda Short's advice regarding transferring funds between the UK and Australia. Use a well known broker such as UKForex. If you do bank-to-bank transfers the foreign exchange rate will be woeful compared to a broker, and the fees high.

I was green as grass when I did my first Australia-UK funds transfer, and used my Oz bank to send funds to my UK account. Once I'd woken up, I used a broker. If I'd used them instead of a bank for my first transfer, I'd literally have saved thousands of dollars.
Old Jun 10th 2016, 12:48 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: help/advice wanted!

Originally Posted by Ange_P
Does anyone have any advice on emergency accommodation?
Hi Ange, sent you a private message with details of our accommodation and airport meet-and-greet.

BB
Old Jun 10th 2016, 5:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I echo Bermuda Short's advice regarding transferring funds between the UK and Australia. Use a well known broker such as UKForex. If you do bank-to-bank transfers the foreign exchange rate will be woeful compared to a broker, and the fees high.

I was green as grass when I did my first Australia-UK funds transfer, and used my Oz bank to send funds to my UK account. Once I'd woken up, I used a broker. If I'd used them instead of a bank for my first transfer, I'd literally have saved thousands of dollars.
Good to know! Thank you so much!