Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help with accommodation in Melbourne/Victoria

Help with accommodation in Melbourne/Victoria

Old Feb 17th 2010, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

JMC1678 is on a distinguished road
Default Help with accommodation in Melbourne/Victoria

Hi, I'll be arriving in Melbourne next week on a SS visa. I don't have a job yet so I'm looking for some accommodation for the initial weeks of my arrival. Victoria have sent me a welcome pack which contains links to hotels but I was wondering if any of you guys had any inside information on somewhere reasonably priced from which I can job hunt.

Regards,

John

Last edited by Sue; Feb 18th 2010 at 1:11 am. Reason: As this is about Aus I've moved it to the main Aus forum. The Barbie is really for off-topic chitchat.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 8:39 am
Banned

Ozwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to all
Default Re: Help with accommodation in Melbourne/Victoria

Originally Posted by JMC1678
Hi, I'll be arriving in Melbourne next week on a SS visa. I don't have a job yet so I'm looking for some accommodation for the initial weeks of my arrival. Victoria have sent me a welcome pack which contains links to hotels but I was wondering if any of you guys had any inside information on somewhere reasonably priced from which I can job hunt.

Regards,

John
Your thread will likely be moved but while here, you can get single rooms in youth hostels from about $70 www.yha.com.au Oasis/Chapman Gardens [north Melbourne - CBD fringe] if that is what you're after, A Guesthouse, St. Arnaud in South Yarra, just near Botanical Gardens and a nice 20 min. walk to CBD about the same price or google Arden Motel, also in NM, possibly about $90 these days.
www.wotif.com is a good way to search re any discounted prices and you can submit a price range to find out what is available.

If you do not mind the hostel scene and sharing, The Nunnery is not too bad or even King Street Backpackers, Cnr. King and Little Bourke Streets, walking distance from Southern Cross Railway Station where Airport Bus stops at.
If going further they have a free shuttle.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ozwanderer
Your thread will likely be moved but while here, you can get single rooms in youth hostels from about $70 www.yha.com.au Oasis/Chapman Gardens [north Melbourne - CBD fringe] if that is what you're after, A Guesthouse, St. Arnaud in South Yarra, just near Botanical Gardens and a nice 20 min. walk to CBD about the same price or google Arden Motel, also in NM, possibly about $90 these days.
www.wotif.com is a good way to search re any discounted prices and you can submit a price range to find out what is available.

If you do not mind the hostel scene and sharing, The Nunnery is not too bad or even King Street Backpackers, Cnr. King and Little Bourke Streets, walking distance from Southern Cross Railway Station where Airport Bus stops at.
If going further they have a free shuttle.
Great, thanks very much for your help.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

aliash is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JMC1678

Regards,

John
Tell me your range? how much can you pay every week for rent. As i am living in melb as a student i can help you out.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by aliash
Tell me your range? how much can you pay every week for rent. As i am living in melb as a student i can help you out.
I'm not sure. The cheapest private room I could find was $440 a week. A dorm is around $180 a week.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 3:40 pm
bme
Just Joined

bme is an unknown quantity at this point

$440 a week??? isn't that way too high?
Old Feb 17th 2010, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bme
$440 a week??? isn't that way too high?
Definitely. That's about what I paid for a months rent in England. The list that VIC have given me contains some VERY expensive places.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by aliash
What was this you were saying aliash?
Old Feb 18th 2010, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

Contact hostels and ask them if they have a weekly rent, they don't always advertise that on internet sites, and thath can work out a little cheaper than paying for 7 nights separately.

Saying that though if you get a room in a hostel for $50 - $60 a night then you are doing well unfortunately.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster
Contact hostels and ask them if they have a weekly rent, they don't always advertise that on internet sites, and thath can work out a little cheaper than paying for 7 nights separately.

Saying that though if you get a room in a hostel for $50 - $60 a night then you are doing well unfortunately.
Thanks for your advice. I was thinking of looking for a guesthouse on the outskirts of town in the hope of finding somewhere cheaper although I don't know VIC at all.

I'm looking for work so I'd like to avoid 'party' hostels. I've been offered an interviews so I'll have to make a quick decision.