Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hello I'm the new girl!

Hello I'm the new girl!

Old Oct 1st 2002, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

Carolyn Lewis is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Hello I'm the new girl!

Hello Everyone! Just discovered this web site and I'm amazed how many people are suffering pre-visa anxiety just like us! I did'nt know so many people wanted to emigrate to Australia because everyone I speak to thinks we're mad to want to go! Maybe because most of the people I come into contact with havent been far outside Wales!!

Anyway I'm Carolyn, my hubby is Andrew and we've got 3 kids and we're due to fly to Brisbane sometime in November initially for 2 years to see if we adapt and then hopefully if we do we'll apply for permanent residence. My husband's got a job to go to as he's transfering within his company so we've applied for a business visa 457 and need to go for our chest x rays this week. Has anyone else who has applied for this visa had to go for a full medical cos I'm confused? I know we have to have x rays but I'm not sure about medicals?

I'd love to hear from anyone due to go to Brisbane this year and its fab to read all the threads from people going through exactly what we are. Does anyone know if you can get satelite tv out there because apparantly Aussie tv is'nt very good!!
Old Oct 1st 2002, 4:41 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello I'm the new girl!

[QUOTE
Anyway I'm Carolyn, my hubby is Andrew and we've got 3 kids and we're due to fly to Brisbane sometime in November initially for 2 years to see if we adapt and then hopefully if we do we'll apply for permanent residence. My husband's got a job to go to as he's transfering within his company so we've applied for a business visa 457 and need to go for our chest x rays this week. Has anyone else who has applied for this visa had to go for a full medical cos I'm confused? I know we have to have x rays but I'm not sure about medicals?

[/QUOTE]

Here in Aus on 457 - waiting waiting......... for PR. You only need full medicals for anyone going to be in hospital or school environment on 457, so kids need them for sure, chest xrays for all over 11 years of age. Adults don't need full medicals if not in these situations - it does state this on the forms.

In Syndey not Brisbane can't help you there, but not clear from your message, when do you move on the 457 cause why not put PR application in asap then your time out with the company will count towards your PR, you can always decide later if full time is for you, but then you will have already put time in towards your citizenship and can always come back later? Just a thought - have fun
Old Oct 1st 2002, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

welshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to all

Hiya,

Nice to hear from a fellow Welsh girl. We applied in October 2001 for our skilled visa and surprise surprise are still waiting to hear any news.
You are really lucky to be going out for 2 years without the hassle of all the applications. Do you think you will stay longer?
Where are you and what company does your husband work for? A friend of mine went to Sydney with her husbands work (for PWC in Cardiff) initially for 2 years which has now been extended for another 2 years with a new company he now works for out there.
Old Oct 1st 2002, 9:28 pm
Jaj

It depends on whether they qualify for skilled independent PR or not,
but yes, that would be a good idea if so.

It also means that if the company want to transfer you back at the end
and you don't want to return, you can say no and freely go to work
somewhere else.

Jeremy

>On Tue, 01 Oct 2002 16:41:32 +0000, Sandra wrote:
    >In Syndey not Brisbane can't help you there, but not clear from your
    >message, when do you move on the 457 cause why not put PR application in
    >asap then your time out with the company will count towards your PR, you
    >can always decide later if full time is for you, but then you will have
    >already put time in towards your citizenship and can always come back
    >later? Just a thought - have fun
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Oct 2nd 2002, 1:52 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Carolyn Lewis:
Hello Everyone! Just discovered this web site and I'm amazed how many people are suffering pre-visa anxiety just like us! I did'nt know so many people wanted to emigrate to Australia because everyone I speak to thinks we're mad to want to go! Maybe because most of the people I come into contact with havent been far outside Wales!!

I'd love to hear from anyone due to go to Brisbane this year and its fab to read all the threads from people going through exactly what we are. Does anyone know if you can get satelite tv out there because apparantly Aussie tv is'nt very good!!

Fortunately we do get Pay TV here. I think it is essential for world events, we watch the UK and USA news daily. The Aus news is usually 5 minutes of headlines, 15 minutes of ads and, 40 mnutes of raving on about how well they can play sport.

You must try Aussie TV tho, people actually still make their own TV ADS. You know people with really ugly kids, in stupid clothes smiling and in a monotone drone declaring Dads Business is Great. The mothers day one from a chair company with smirking kid in pink shirt and tie was a classic.
To avoid this, we pay $110 month for pay TV and internet. Good Luck.
Old Oct 2nd 2002, 2:52 am
BE Enthusiast

onlyme is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sandra,

You said "your time out with the company will count towards your PR, you can always decide later if full time is for you, but then you will have already put time in towards your citizenship and can always come back later"..

Do you mean that people in Oz on a 457 visa can put their time towards PR and citizenship ?? I thought that was not the case. IS it only true for people who come out here through a company transfer ?

THanks.
Old Oct 2nd 2002, 3:05 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by onlyme:
Hi Sandra,

You said "your time out with the company will count towards your PR, you can always decide later if full time is for you, but then you will have already put time in towards your citizenship and can always come back later"..

Do you mean that people in Oz on a 457 visa can put their time towards PR and citizenship ?? I thought that was not the case. IS it only true for people who come out here through a company transfer ?

THanks.
Sorry I was not clear on that at all - no you can't count 457 time, I meant if you applied now through adelaide approx 50 weeks and PR turned up while out here anyway on a 457 you transfer over to PR and still work for company for two years. You might approximately get a year or so PR time in then towards the 2/5 requirements.

Mind you Onlyme - wouldn't that be nice being able to count the 457 period - ah a dream!!!! Possibly as wishful thinking about trying to tie up our kids 457 medicals with our PR requirements, mind you I am still trying - does anyone have the email for AHC London please - they haven't answered the fax.

cheers
Old Oct 2nd 2002, 3:10 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by onlyme:
Only time spent in Australia on a permanent visa can be counted towards citizenship.

Peter
Old Oct 2nd 2002, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

onlyme is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks folks. Yes...I have written to the Minister for Immigration several times bugging him about that one..I'll keep bugging him..
Old Oct 2nd 2002, 7:46 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by Carolyn Lewis:

Good day,
I'm in Brisbane and also from Wales (Swansea)
I came here on a business visa, sponsored about 5 years ago. I did not have to have any medicals at the time (maybe this has changed during the past couple of years, I don't know). I applied for PR about two years ago, after being in the country 3 yrs. Only then did I have to have a medical , which was a bit weird... I'd been in the country for 3 yrs already spreading my germs .
Medical was x Rays, blood test, look down your throat job, listen to your chest job . Nothing scary. I had the medicals in Australia, because of course I was living here already.

TV, you can hook up to cable, foxtel or Optus.. depending on which area you are living in Brisbane. .. I get Optus, costs around $50 a month. I hooked up because I found Australian TV to be cr*p, not enough documentaries, and serious stuff like world news, and motor racing

Cheers
P.S

"You must try Aussie TV tho, people actually still make their own TV ADS. You know people with really ugly kids, in stupid clothes smiling and in a monotone drone declaring Dads Business is Great. The mothers day one from a chair company with smirking kid in pink shirt and tie was a classic.
To avoid this, we pay $110 month for pay TV and internet. Good Luck." -posted by Dotty

Dotty, have you seen the advert for the furniture upholsters ?- about the lounge suite, the music is like the "okey pokey"or is that kokey? .. about some family business, always shown late at night... funny.
Also if you want a really good laugh, tune into Brisbane TV, the local channel... it cheers me up no end better than any comedy

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Oct 2nd 2002 at 7:54 am.
Old Oct 2nd 2002, 12:27 pm
Gone Senile Member

Originally posted by Ceri:

snip

Dotty, have you seen the advert for the furniture upholsters ?- about the lounge suite, the music is like the "okey pokey"or is that kokey? .. about some family business, always shown late at night... funny.
Also if you want a really good laugh, tune into Brisbane TV, the local channel... it cheers me up no end better than any comedy

snip

What about the aussie advert for weedkiller - 'use this and your weeds will be pushing up daisys in no time' last count I took daisys on my lawn were weeds!!! Loved it

Cheers
Old Oct 2nd 2002, 2:46 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by Sandra:

What about the aussie advert for weedkiller - 'use this and your weeds will be pushing up daisys in no time' last count I took daisys on my lawn were weeds!!! Loved it

Cheers
I can't say I have Sandra, maybe different adverts in different states in Australia.
The 40 winks advert gets right up my *&*@, annoying(beds),

And if I ever see "Big Kev" on the street , I think I might just get "I'm excited" too... and kick him in the you know where..

Got to love these adverts though.. it's sad really

cheers
Old Oct 2nd 2002, 4:48 pm
huge,throbbing member

baldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nice

Hi new girl,I'm the official newgirl greeter to this site,and although you're very welcome,you seem to have overlooked certain rules.
The main one being ::all new girls must post a piccy of themselves at least semi-nude within 24 hours of joining

there's also one for the ladies,but mr newgirl would be wise to ignore it.

Baldy
Old Oct 3rd 2002, 8:59 am
Chris

"dotty" wrote in message
news:431226.1033523523@britishexpats-
.com
    > You must try Aussie TV tho, people actually still make their own TV ADS.
    > You know people with really ugly kids, in stupid clothes smiling and in
    > a monotone drone declaring Dads Business is Great. The mothers day one
    > from a chair company with smirking kid in pink shirt and tie was a
    > classic.

LOL! This is so true, but you usually have to stay up late or sit around at
home to see this kind of stuff.

> To avoid this, we pay $110 month for pay TV and internet.

Pay TV's around $60 for the basic ($45) + extra goodies. Internet can be
had for $10 per month. I pay $24 per month on dialup (because I like to
download a lot of stuff, but don't need it to come down quickly)... I
suppose you have ADSL or cable? That'd be the problem - if you're not
downloading huge files etc., dial up is fine.

Chris

> Good Luck.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com