hello all

Old Aug 19th 2016, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

leeanneleach is an unknown quantity at this point
Default hello all

I have been a member on here for some time but have never posted anything, however, i have used the site alot to look for information. I am sure you all get many posters asking the same things I am about to ask so please be patient with me.

I have never visited Australia but have been very keen to emigrate there for quite some time, however, husband has only just started to feel the same. There are varying reasons for me wishing to move, one of the reasons is that i suffer from SAD and feel that between October and April I loose my 'mojo' with enjoying life. My other main reason for wanting to emigrate is that I am wanting to experience things in life, living in another country being one of them. I realise these may be insignificant reasons to many of you but they are significant to me. I also very much enjoy outdoor activities and feel that because of the weather here in the UK there are limited chances to be able to fulfil this lifestyle, particularly as the rain makes them less enjoyable.

My concern is that I may be thinking that living in a different country will 'fix' some of my problems, obviously Australia still has rain and activities often require money to be able to do them. My other main concern is missing my family, particularly nieces and nephews, I don't have any parents so that is not an issue.

My husband and I have 3 children, 14, 11, 9, the 14 year old stating that she does not wish to move anywhere in the world. As well as this, moving to another country is an extreme financial commitment if it turns out to not be a positive experience for all.

My job is listed on the skills list and my husband has previously been offered jobs within Australia, would be looking at the 189 visa.

Many Thanks
Old Aug 19th 2016, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

SoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hello all

It's a huge decision Leeanne, especially without even having been down here for a look around. I really think it would be a good idea for you to choose the climate that you fancy and then come and visit that city or state for a while to see if you really do like it.

I live in Brisbane where there is tons and tons of sunshine but I find the summers way too hot and sticky (and long!) And by sticky, half an hours gardening in the summer and my shirt could not be wetter if I jumped in the swimming pool. We live in air conditioning most of the time and that's not ideal. The winters in Brissy are awesome though, just not long enough!

We are looking at moving to a region in Qld that has a more temperate climate where we can retire to in a few years.

Anyway, keep your dreams alive but please come and have a look first. Come in the summer so you can experience just how brutal they can be in Australia.
Old Aug 19th 2016, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Great advice, SoCalDon. I went to boarding school in Brisbane, and worked there subsequently. That was a long, long, time ago, but I still swear that Brisbane summers are the hottest and stickiest I've ever experienced. Later I lived in Toowoomba, only 80 miles away but 2000 feet higher, and with much milder summers. Mind you, Toowoomba winters were pretty cold. No snow, but the winds were freezing.

The OP should without a doubt give the country a dry run before emigrating. Nothing else would be sensible.
Old Aug 20th 2016, 6:01 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Incan understand your reasons and the idea of trying living in another country is actually one of the best reasons for doing it.

I do though also think you should if possible try a visit if possible. Though I know it isn't always possible. But at least make sure you research heavily. Particularly things such as climate. For example, Perth can seem a good option for people suffering SAD, but winter there can be very grey, wet and short days.

The financial commitment is a massive one and that needs to be thought about and ensure you are all prepared to take the risk as there are a substantial number who end up returning - about one in three and I am one of them.
Old Aug 20th 2016, 6:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Go for a visit then fix your mental health before you contemplate a move. Moving house is considered one of life's big stressors and moving house to the other side of the world is stress in spades so if you aren't mentally "whole" when you try and do it you will struggle.

Education is another issue - I've no idea what your projected time frame would be but taking an unwilling later teenager out of one educational system into another can be tricky. It's OK if they decide they want to stay in Aus education forever (as long as they arrive before 16) but if they are forced to move them want to return (or you as a family want to return) then you've screwed things up educationally with less than beneficial transfers of grades and international student fees.

Personally I wouldn't be that focused on the old "outdoor lifestyle" thing either - after 32 years in Australia I have found that in my 5 years of being back I am outside doing things in UK far more! I walk (a lot) but in the summer in Aus if I hadn't left the house by 6am it was too late and there was no way on earth I would be up and going by 6am - and don't get me started on the flies and mozzies (they both love me to bits!) - I know that's just my perception but some of us, especially as we age, cope less well in the heat and a life lurching from one air conditioned environment to another is not really that much fun.

Again, personally, I never missed family or friends - out of sight is out of mind really and that's perhaps the easiest way to do things because if you are constantly on social media being reminded of the great family things you are missing you will feel lonely and isolated. Selfishness and self sufficiency are key to being a good migrant and to an extent you are lucky you don't have aged parents because it takes a special kind of heartlessness to leave them unsupported (even I couldn't do it!)

However, if you want an adventure then go and check it out, living somewhere new is always an adventure but you still have to vacuum, clean, put the rubbish out and do the washing. Good luck with it but do it from a position of experience rather than from a season of watching WDU!

Last edited by quoll; Aug 20th 2016 at 6:17 am.
Old Aug 20th 2016, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

Thankyou very much everyone for taking time out to reply, your concerns pretty much mirror mine, particular in terms of an unwilling 14 year old. Initially I looked into Perth but was put off by the winters, have since been considering New South Wales but as you all say, having never visited my knowledge is purely based on internet research. I have thought about waiting until my daughter is 18 and out education (at least in terms of high school) and then revisiting it with her, truth is she is very settled where we are, enjoys school and has a fabulous small group of friends. The likelihood of her coming would, i think, be very slim and I would not consider leaving her here.

Quoll I agree that in that respect it is lucky that I don't have any parents as I cannot imagine how difficult it would be if an elderly parents becomes ill. In terms of the mental health unfortunately this is not fixable, SAD is only one aspect it due to my childhood experiences, at 41 years of age the mental issues are not going anywhere but I continue to live my life the best I can and much of it is pretty good to be honest.

You have all given me things to continue to consider, again thank you
Old Aug 20th 2016, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leeanneleach
Thankyou very much everyone for taking time out to reply, your concerns pretty much mirror mine, particular in terms of an unwilling 14 year old.
You are sensible to defer to the wishes of the rest of the family - and particularly to wait until you parents (at least) have actually visited Australia. However, my only concern is whether you might be giving too much weight to the opinion of a 14-year-old. In four years she will be only too anxious to leave home and do her own thing, and it would be a shame to tie the whole family's entire future to her unwillingness to go somewhere where her current friends won't be. Most kids have to follow their parents to where the jobs are, after all!
Old Aug 21st 2016, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

One of the issues you need to consider is getting the visa.

While the cut off is 50, in reality most people find it impossible to get enough points after the age of 45 as from 45 there are no points awarded for age. So, if you are 41 now and wait 4 years, you probably wouldn't qualify.

With regards outdoors and weather, to be honest, after 8 years in Oz and back in the UK now this year, we find we are much more outdoors now than we ever were in Oz. NSW also has fairly cold winters - the southern parts of NSW have skiing areas!

There are many other things to consider. For example, do not assume that just because an occupation is on the skills list, that there are actually jobs. The two are not linked and you need to research this.

You also need to consider issues that would arise if you did not stay and decided to come back. For example, housing, finances and that children who leave the country and then return have to be back 3 years before they can go to university or they are treated as international students.

I also always urge people to consider the very long term finances such as pensions. Being 41 it would be very hard (impossible?) to build up a decent super amount (that is the Australian private pension system).
Old Aug 21st 2016, 8:54 am
Just Joined

Hi Gordon, yes this is something that I constantly struggle with, how much control should she have over what we would like to experience in life, she has said if we go she would move in with her auntie, not an option for me and will not be happening.

Very Stromy thankyou for your response, in terms of the job I have been offered one but it is in the norther territory and not where i would want to be, shame as it came with a relocation package. If we did this we would start the ball rolling shortly so would be there before I am 45. If we came and left yes this would be at a financial loss but also with a life experience that is worth much more to me. In terms of pensions, I have a private one, husbands is through his work, however, for me life is too short to be concerned about pensions, I could be dead by then and I would not let that put me off making a move anywhere in the world.

Thanks again
Old Aug 21st 2016, 10:14 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
You are sensible to defer to the wishes of the rest of the family - and particularly to wait until you parents (at least) have actually visited Australia. However, my only concern is whether you might be giving too much weight to the opinion of a 14-year-old. In four years she will be only too anxious to leave home and do her own thing, and it would be a shame to tie the whole family's entire future to her unwillingness to go somewhere where her current friends won't be. Most kids have to follow their parents to where the jobs are, after all!
And in some cases it causes issues which still haunt the children 40 years on. Unless you know the child I really don't think you can even make a guess at how it could affect her later.
Full marks to the parents for listening to her - a too many don't and it can cause untold pain, trust me.
Old Aug 21st 2016, 10:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leeanneleach
Hi Gordon, yes this is something that I constantly struggle with, how much control should she have over what we would like to experience in life, she has said if we go she would move in with her auntie, not an option for me and will not be happening.

Very Stromy thankyou for your response, in terms of the job I have been offered one but it is in the norther territory and not where i would want to be, shame as it came with a relocation package. If we did this we would start the ball rolling shortly so would be there before I am 45. If we came and left yes this would be at a financial loss but also with a life experience that is worth much more to me. In terms of pensions, I have a private one, husbands is through his work, however, for me life is too short to be concerned about pensions, I could be dead by then and I would not let that put me off making a move anywhere in the world.

Thanks again
NT??? nope, dont do it.

Perhaps you might be prepared to compromise with the daughter - if she stays with her aunty but validates her visa so she keeps all her options open and visits you in the holidays. On balance the UK system will give her more options because her A level grades would travel better to Australia than the reverse so she would have the choice of Aus or Uk if she wanted to go to Uni and she wouldn't be stung by international fees if she did decide that UK was where she wanted to be when she was old enough to make that decision. Given that there is a level of uncertainty here I would not be moving her out of the UK system unless you knew without a shadow of doubt that you/she would not want to return. If she is happy and settled in a good school with a good group of mates then that is worth diamonds!

It might be cheaper and easier just to schedule trips to warmer climes over the winter to help with the SAD

Dont diss the pensions - in Australia there is an increasing expectation that people will do their best to be independent in retirement and trying to get a half decent super so that they can quit before they turn 70 actually takes a lot of work and additional investment. In your mid 40s is just about the right time to be focusing on them (many of us leave it too late!).