Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hello and Advice (non dependent child and RAN)

Hello and Advice (non dependent child and RAN)

Old Jan 7th 2007, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

Wooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really nice
Default Hello and Advice (non dependent child and RAN)

Hello

My husband is currently applying to join the Australian Navy, although I'm excited about this prospect I am worried about my children. I have two girls 15 and 17, I'm hoping they will have finished their GCSE's and A'levels by the time we get to go. My concern is mainly for the 17 year old as she will turn 18 before we get the move sorted, can any one tell me if she'l be able to come with us as she won't be a dependant child. I assume my youngest will be able to continue her senior education over there. If any has any experience of a partner joining the RAN I would love to hear from them.

Many Thanks
Old Jan 9th 2007, 4:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello and Advice (non dependent child and RAN)

Originally Posted by Wooders
Hello

My husband is currently applying to join the Australian Navy, although I'm excited about this prospect I am worried about my children. I have two girls 15 and 17, I'm hoping they will have finished their GCSE's and A'levels by the time we get to go. My concern is mainly for the 17 year old as she will turn 18 before we get the move sorted, can any one tell me if she'l be able to come with us as she won't be a dependant child. I assume my youngest will be able to continue her senior education over there. If any has any experience of a partner joining the RAN I would love to hear from them.

Many Thanks
Cant help with the RAN but just wanted to say hi. My hubby is hoping to join the oz army.
If you do a search there was some one who was transferring to the RAN but it was early last year i think.
Mandy
Old Jan 9th 2007, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

Wooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really nice

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
Cant help with the RAN but just wanted to say hi. My hubby is hoping to join the oz army.
If you do a search there was some one who was transferring to the RAN but it was early last year i think.
Mandy

Many thanks for taking the time to reply, I shall have a scroll though and see what i can find. Good luck with your quest.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 2:28 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wooders
My concern is mainly for the 17 year old as she will turn 18 before we get the move sorted, can any one tell me if she'l be able to come with us as she won't be a dependant child.
It should be ok if she stays in full time education, doesn't work and does not acquire a partner.

However she must stay dependent right up to visa grant, and preferably right up to validation.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 7:02 am
Just Joined

Nightmair is just really niceNightmair is just really niceNightmair is just really niceNightmair is just really niceNightmair is just really niceNightmair is just really niceNightmair is just really niceNightmair is just really nice

We began the process of applying for RAN in late 2004. We have two sons who WERE 17 and 18 at that time and both were in full time education; our daughter was 11. Our application was put on hold in 2005 because our daughter needed major surgery in her spine. During this time our second son decided to quit his college course. We delayed the applications further because he refused to rejoin a course in Sept 2005 which would mean he could not come to Oz on our visa as a dependent child!! He told us he didn't want to come to Oz and we were reluctant to leave him behind.

He is now 19 and living/working away from home but we have decided to re-apply for RAN and hope to get our eldest son (who is at university) on our visa before he turns 22. He plans to finish his course in England but validate his visa with the family if we get our visa. He will joins us after the course. Our daughter is 13 and still keen to come to Oz.

Our second son is now talking about going back to education in september 07 but has left it too late to be allowed on any visa application. We hope to get him out on a 'last remaining relative' visa at a later date.

Having said all this, we are still in the early process of RAN application again and just hope that we get through this time. We need to get our first son out with us otherwise neither of them can come over as a 'last remaining relative' as they would have each other in England.

Best of luck with your application. Keep plugging at it and emphasize the importance of continuing education - they can just quit the course when you all come out. She doesn't have to return to full-time education when you move to Oz.

Gina
Old Jan 17th 2007, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nightmair
We began the process of applying for RAN in late 2004. We have two sons who WERE 17 and 18 at that time and both were in full time education; our daughter was 11. Our application was put on hold in 2005 because our daughter needed major surgery in her spine. During this time our second son decided to quit his college course. We delayed the applications further because he refused to rejoin a course in Sept 2005 which would mean he could not come to Oz on our visa as a dependent child!! He told us he didn't want to come to Oz and we were reluctant to leave him behind.

He is now 19 and living/working away from home but we have decided to re-apply for RAN and hope to get our eldest son (who is at university) on our visa before he turns 22. He plans to finish his course in England but validate his visa with the family if we get our visa. He will joins us after the course. Our daughter is 13 and still keen to come to Oz.

Our second son is now talking about going back to education in september 07 but has left it too late to be allowed on any visa application. We hope to get him out on a 'last remaining relative' visa at a later date.

Having said all this, we are still in the early process of RAN application again and just hope that we get through this time. We need to get our first son out with us otherwise neither of them can come over as a 'last remaining relative' as they would have each other in England.

Best of luck with your application. Keep plugging at it and emphasize the importance of continuing education - they can just quit the course when you all come out. She doesn't have to return to full-time education when you move to Oz.

Gina
thanks for all you information again very informative. My main concern was leaving my eldest at home. Thankfully she has no intention of leaving education for the next few years. What are the age limits of a child being on a visa? (if you know!) From reading your message am I correct in thinking up to 22? As we have no timescales yet it may work out that we could get through the stage we are at. We are about to send our completed application with medical docs this week. Hopefully they'll accept his application but who knows...will be disappointed if they don't want us! Not even going down that path as negative thoughts and all that!

thanks again

Kate
Old Jan 17th 2007, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

Nightmair is just really niceNightmair is just really niceNightmair is just really niceNightmair is just really niceNightmair is just really niceNightmair is just really niceNightmair is just really niceNightmair is just really nice

Yes, the max dependent age is 22 years

We are hoping to be accepted and then get it sorted before our eldest son reaches 22. It really is a stressful time worrying about the possibility of leaving a child in UK which was one of the reasons we delayed our application the first time and then slipped through the net. But our youngest son is determined to be independent and we have to respect that and hope that he changes his mind once we're out there and follows us out. We shall see.

My husband is on the maximum age threshold for the Oz Navy now and our initial application is very dodgy but we have to give it one last push. He did his 22 and has been out for 8 years!!!

Good luck and don't get despondent, the process can take some time.

bye for now
Gina
Old Jan 17th 2007, 11:43 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nightmair
Yes, the max dependent age is 22 years

We are hoping to be accepted and then get it sorted before our eldest son reaches 22. It really is a stressful time worrying about the possibility of leaving a child in UK which was one of the reasons we delayed our application the first time and then slipped through the net. But our youngest son is determined to be independent and we have to respect that and hope that he changes his mind once we're out there and follows us out. We shall see.

My husband is on the maximum age threshold for the Oz Navy now and our initial application is very dodgy but we have to give it one last push. He did his 22 and has been out for 8 years!!!

Good luck and don't get despondent, the process can take some time.

bye for now
Gina
I don't know where you get the age limit of 22 from. Maximum age limit for dependency is 25th birthday.

BUT for children aged 18-24 there are additional rules in terms of financial dependency that must be respected. There are also rules on marital status.

Get professional advice as DIMA are strict on this.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

Hereandnow is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, My husband joined the RAN in 2005, we left behind our 25 year old son who was living away from home with his partner at the time. They have since broken up and he is coming to Australia for the first time arriving TODAY to see if he wants to make the move over permantely. I am hoping so.......leaving him behind was the hardest thing I have ever done even though he was 25. We have started looking into the last remaing relative visa as that seems to be the way to go in our case. We have another son age 25 who has also joined the RAN and a daughter 18 who was only 16 when we did the visa process.
Joining another navy in your forties is a big step but in our case its been good so far....we've moved around abit....melbourne - perth and another move to sydney in may but we're getting to see the country before we decide where to settle. Sorry I cant help with the original question really, all I know is that older children have to be in education and financially dependant to be included on your visa. If I can help with any question you may have about the RAN just ask away.
Good luck
Old Jan 18th 2007, 6:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
I don't know where you get the age limit of 22 from. Maximum age limit for dependency is 25th birthday.

BUT for children aged 18-24 there are additional rules in terms of financial dependency that must be respected. There are also rules on marital status.

Get professional advice as DIMA are strict on this.

Thanks JAJ
I don't recall where I got the 22 limit from but I am relieved it is 25 as it gives us a greater window. Thank you for the info - I can now stop worrying about our time scale.

Gina
Old Jan 19th 2007, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hereandnow
Hi, My husband joined the RAN in 2005, we left behind our 25 year old son who was living away from home with his partner at the time. They have since broken up and he is coming to Australia for the first time arriving TODAY to see if he wants to make the move over permantely. I am hoping so.......leaving him behind was the hardest thing I have ever done even though he was 25. We have started looking into the last remaing relative visa as that seems to be the way to go in our case. We have another son age 25 who has also joined the RAN and a daughter 18 who was only 16 when we did the visa process.
Joining another navy in your forties is a big step but in our case its been good so far....we've moved around abit....melbourne - perth and another move to sydney in may but we're getting to see the country before we decide where to settle. Sorry I cant help with the original question really, all I know is that older children have to be in education and financially dependant to be included on your visa. If I can help with any question you may have about the RAN just ask away.
Good luck
thank you for your reply and you may regret saying anymore questions!!!! We sent the application back yesterday so now await the feedback from that. It sounds like we are a similar age group and know it is a big step. Just hope they want us! It sounds like you are very happy with your choice. How long after you arrived did your husband go to sea and do their ships do the same sea time ours do? I like the sound of moving around but has it had any effect on your daugher with her education. We have always lived in Plymouth so my kids have never moved around, they are happy with the prospect of going but I do worry about them. If she continued her education what difficulties did you face if any? Do you live in accomadation from the navy and if so what is it like, I guess it must be hard to buy a house if you move alot. We have a house here but think we will sell if we get to go over. All or nothing we say! Even the dog has to come!!!
What about you ? Have you found it easy to make friends and find work?

Sorry to ask so much but you said I could!!!! Hope your son arrived safely and I look forward to you reply.

Many thanks

Kate