Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hellmann's mayo - sad but true

Hellmann's mayo - sad but true

Old Jun 4th 2006, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

rpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud of
Question Hellmann's mayo - sad but true

ok, this may be hard to believe but OH is quite concerned that he won't get decent mayonnaise in OZ. Please tell me Hellmann's is available out there... please.???

or that you have found something equally as good.
Old Jun 4th 2006, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

sharkface is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Hellmann's mayo - sad but true

Originally Posted by rpa34
ok, this may be hard to believe but OH is quite concerned that he won't get decent mayonnaise in OZ. Please tell me Hellmann's is available out there... please.???

Nope its true, certainly where we were on the sunny coast the only mayo we could get tasted of salad cream, we had family bring it or even post it for christmas! Don't tell him, he might not move!!
Old Jun 4th 2006, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

rpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Hellmann's mayo - sad but true

Originally Posted by sharkface
Nope its true, certainly where we were on the sunny coast the only mayo we could get tasted of salad cream, we had family bring it or even post it for christmas! Don't tell him, he might not move!!
oh no, groan... I definitely won't be telling him otherwise our suitcases will be full of the stuff.
Old Jun 4th 2006, 8:21 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

If you do a search on here, you'll find that this topic has been discussed MANY times.

The good news: Hellmann's mayo *is* available! It is sold in Oz under the label "Best Foods".

Gina
Old Jun 4th 2006, 8:22 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi rpa34
Is there not an 'English' shop that it could be bought from??or internet shop??
Where abouts are you going??
You could get rellies to send a tray full by sea every 6 months...
J x
Old Jun 4th 2006, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jaycee1
Hi rpa34
Is there not an 'English' shop that it could be bought from??or internet shop??
Where abouts are you going??
You could get rellies to send a tray full by sea every 6 months...
J x
off to Perth
Old Jun 4th 2006, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GinaUK
If you do a search on here, you'll find that this topic has been discussed MANY times.

The good news: Hellmann's mayo *is* available! It is sold in Oz under the label "Best Foods".

Gina
Never imagined others were so hooked on the stuff! Thanks Gina; will pass on the good news to OH when he returns from his all day session at the rugby at Twickers today.
cheers.
Old Jun 4th 2006, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

I would be cautious about bringing in Mayo as they are very strict about items with high egg content. If you do risk it then make sure that you declare it, in fact every small item of food in triplicate. Then the least they will do is chuck it. I have been watching border security and believe me you dont want to be caught not declaring something.

Having said all that, I plan to take a rather large empty case over when we visit in Oct, for those 'essential' items and I will be taking a little risk on some of them, but will be declaring each and every one, in fact I may need to attach a A4 size list to my declaration.

Jo
Old Jun 4th 2006, 11:23 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by joho
I would be cautious about bringing in Mayo as they are very strict about items with high egg content. If you do risk it then make sure that you declare it, in fact every small item of food in triplicate. Then the least they will do is chuck it. I have been watching border security and believe me you dont want to be caught not declaring something.

Having said all that, I plan to take a rather large empty case over when we visit in Oct, for those 'essential' items and I will be taking a little risk on some of them, but will be declaring each and every one, in fact I may need to attach a A4 size list to my declaration.

Jo

You won't be able to bring in Mayo. I've tried and it didn't work. They confiscated it because it has egg in it (bird flu/bacteria etc risk). You can get Hellman's here, as mentioned under the 'Best Foods' label from Coles.
Do not risk bringing anything illegal in. If you do, they'll have you delayed for hours whilst they search every tiny bit of your luggage. I've seen it happen.
Old Jun 4th 2006, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

nmccallum has a spectacular aura aboutnmccallum has a spectacular aura aboutnmccallum has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by GinaUK

Gina
As Gina mentioned above, you can buy it here. However I have found only Safeway and smaller independent places sell it. Coles doesn't. Well that's what I've figured out anyway. Also, I have just found the 'light' one at a small green-grocers, usually only the normal one is available at Safeways.

No need to stress anymore!! Took me ages to find it and about 8 bottles of full so-called-'mayonnaise' being turfed out on a weekly basis!!!!
Old Jun 5th 2006, 1:11 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nmccallum
As Gina mentioned above, you can buy it here. However I have found only Safeway and smaller independent places sell it. Coles doesn't. Well that's what I've figured out anyway. Also, I have just found the 'light' one at a small green-grocers, usually only the normal one is available at Safeways.

No need to stress anymore!! Took me ages to find it and about 8 bottles of full so-called-'mayonnaise' being turfed out on a weekly basis!!!!

I think it depends on the Coles and where it is. I've found some that don't and some that do. My local one does so I bought 6 jars of it all at once.
The other 'whole egg' mayonaises we've tried have been very nice too so there is decent stuff around... just look for 'whole egg' on the label.
Old Jun 5th 2006, 1:20 am
BE Enthusiast

debilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by rpa34

You can even get it posted to you, try this site

http://www.treatsfromhome.com.au/
Old Jun 5th 2006, 5:39 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by debilloyd
You can even get it posted to you, try this site

http://www.treatsfromhome.com.au/
Thanks for that link - I've got about 4 of 5 BritShops saved in my internet faves but that wasn't one of them

Need to spread out my purchases of Cadburys choc so that they don't realise how much I eat of it lol
Old Jun 5th 2006, 6:50 am
Just Joined

Candice"n"Darren is an unknown quantity at this point

As an avid mayo fan myself I was horrified to taste every puke tasting mayo before I found one that came a second place to Hellmans. I use SW (not the light version though as thats poo too) and this is lovely, very much like hellmans and creamy and yummy too!!!
Old Oct 6th 2006, 1:53 am
BE Enthusiast

sparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of light

2 weeks in to my new life in Australia and I decided a trip to Coles in Toowong, Brisbane was necessary to assess the Hellman's alternatives that would be my new Mayonnaise. To my suprise and delight, Hellman's was readily on sale!! There was also the Best Foods one which on comparison, uses different ingredients to Hellmans so can't be exactly the same. $5 a jar though so is more expensive than the others but WELL worth it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.