Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hellish start in Sydney

Hellish start in Sydney

Old Oct 19th 2006, 4:25 am
Ben and Dede

bredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud of
Default Hellish start in Sydney

My hubbie, 3 1/2 month old son and I (I've logged in using my hubbies details- I'm new to this!!!!) have arrived in manly for a 3 week reccie. Struggling to find baby friendly things to do and good places to have a cuppa and breastfeed. Our apartment was dirty, we all struggled with jet lag, our baby was very sick at the beginning but things are beggining to settle down- thankfully!. We will be emigrating next year, come from Glasgow, are both nurses and I'll be working part time as have a young baby. We will still be emigrating despite our bad start but looking for more positive tips on how to cope in future? Does anyone have any tips or would welcome us to meet up to see what there is to offer our curious minds? Dede and Ben
Old Oct 19th 2006, 4:55 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hellish start in Sydney

Originally Posted by bredennis
My hubbie, 3 1/2 month old son and I (I've logged in using my hubbies details- I'm new to this!!!!) have arrived in manly for a 3 week reccie. Struggling to find baby friendly things to do and good places to have a cuppa and breastfeed. Our apartment was dirty, we all struggled with jet lag, our baby was very sick at the beginning but things are beggining to settle down- thankfully!. We will be emigrating next year, come from Glasgow, are both nurses and I'll be working part time as have a young baby. We will still be emigrating despite our bad start but looking for more positive tips on how to cope in future? Does anyone have any tips or would welcome us to meet up to see what there is to offer our curious minds? Dede and Ben

Awe sorry about the bad start guys.....hope bub gets well soon. Sorry I cant help with a meet as am not in Sydney. We came over blind hubby had a job so that basically told us where we were goin, of which I am glad.....I dont think I could hack trailing round different places trying to suss thm out. Everything must seem so alien to you, and with a young baby is bad enough never mind a sick one. I hope things get better for you guys, the jetlag wont be helping you either, I hope you complained about ur apartment, and it has been cleaned or you have found better. Best of luck with the rest of your stay
H
x
Old Oct 19th 2006, 7:28 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look in the G'day Mate sub forum - there's a thread on there started by someone in Manly, and others have posted on it including a few people with babies. Hopefully they'll be able to give you a bit of information about what it's like living here with small children (can't help with that one myself, sorry)
Old Oct 19th 2006, 7:54 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm really sorry you've had a rough start. If you're planning on taking a trip up to the Blue Mountains (train from Central, up to either Katoomba for fabulous views and nice breast feeding friendly cafe's - ask me which) then I'd be happy to pick you up and show you the best spots. Come for lunch, or just a guided tour to the nice bits. I have a big car I'm afraid I can't get down to the city this week, otherwise I'd meet up.
Have you been for ferry rides under the bridge etc?
It helps just going out and doing some touristy stuff to make you feel good about the place ...

Friends of mine used to live in Manly with their two young children and they were very active with playgroups and other stuff... there is a good community there, but of course, arriving as you have, completely cold for a few weeks, makes it tricky to feel that and get into the spirit of things.... It's something that takes time.
It is there, rest assured.

I hope things improve for you.. it's tough when you have a sick young one and things aren't as you imagined. Dirty apartments make my stomach turn - there's no excuse... Give them a crap review if you can.
Old Oct 19th 2006, 8:24 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Are you around on 7th Nov?? if so several Mums (with or without their children) meet up on first Tues each month. Have a look at meet up forum for details (when they come available).

Would offer to meet up with you, but bubs #2 is due today so difficult to make any plans with any certainty.

I hope the rest of your stay is enjoyable and leave you looking forward to making the move next year.
Old Oct 19th 2006, 8:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

www.bubhub.com.au and www.bellybelly.com.au might help you.
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

brissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to behold

Hope your reckie has not put you off. Know some Scottish folk in Sydney with kids who would love to meet up with you when you move over. (All from Glasgow)Let me know and I will get you in touch with them. Where in Glasgow are you from?
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 3:36 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry too much - it's not *all* like Manly. There are more civilised places not that far away.
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

ginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, not in Sydney yet but will also be moving there next year (July-Aug) with a 6 and a 2 year old. Just to wish you good luck and if you wish to get in touch then please do!
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

Hi. Sorry to hear you had not such a good time but I guess a lot of it would have been just to jetlag and your bub being unwell, which you can't blame Manly for.

With regards to apartments, where you live or go visit you will find this, its just one of those things that happens to some people.

As for struggling to find baby friendly things to do I am amazed that you say this as Manly is full of baby boomers who are all out doing things. There are numerous mothers groups, gym groups for mothers and fathers, everywhere is breastfeeding friendly, there are lots of play areas. I know lots of families who love Manly because it is so very baby friendly. A couple of girls I know often meet up at a couple of the local pubs with prams in tow for a quick meet up drink.

I guess because you were struggling with jetlag and an ill baby that it gave it all a veil of negativity. The northern beaches is a great place to live, and as for nurses North Shore Hospital which is a 30 mins car journey is always looking for nurses.

Hope you have better luck next time.
Old Oct 24th 2006, 3:41 am
Ben and Dede

bredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud of

Thank you to everyone who has given us advice and support. It is much appreciated and at least we know what to look out for when we emigrate.
Old Oct 24th 2006, 4:27 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

It's funny now being in the opposite position to the one that we found ourselves in last November when we did our reccie to Sydney.

We made the fatal mistake of booking into the Waldorf in Liverpool St and it completely distorted my initial impressions of the place. Our apartment was overpriced, dirty, old, unmaintained and stunk of fried fish ALL OF THE TIME!!

I think where you are staying has a big affect on your initial mindset as when we moved the amazing Meriton apartments in the CBD (for a couple of hundred bucks more) our whole experience changed (http://www.meriton.com.au/).