Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Helensvale or Upper Coomera high schools?

Helensvale or Upper Coomera high schools?

Old Nov 15th 2007, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

orca05 will become famous soon enoughorca05 will become famous soon enough
Default Helensvale or Upper Coomera high schools?

Hi
We are moving to GC in next few weeks and would like to know what people who send their kids to HELENSVALE HIGH and UPPER COOMERA state high schools think of them.We are looking at both schools and we have 2 teenage daughters 16yrs and 14 yrs.We would have to rent in the schools zoned area to start with before we buy a home so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old Nov 19th 2007, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

johnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to all
Default Re: Helensvale or Upper Coomera high schools?

Hi We are in the same boat, 2 girls 12 and 14 and fingers crossed a rental on Hope Island so in Helensvale catchment. Our choice was between Pac Pines and Helensvale - have been told that Helensvale is the best state school in north GC area and other expats kids who go there seem to think its ok.

When/where are you heading out, we go on 4th December and have arranged to recce both schools, my 14 year old is very anti so having to bully her along a bit - leaving party this weekend was very hard seeing her with all her mates!!

If your's fancy getting in touch with mine for a reality check just let me know

Good luck

Ali
Old Nov 19th 2007, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I have searched past posts and I don't think Helensvale came out very favourable. Do a search and read the comments.

I am now thinking of sending my boy private. We are hoping to be there in the first couple of week of the new year.

Mandy
Old Nov 20th 2007, 12:20 am
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scrawni 2
Hi, I have searched past posts and I don't think Helensvale came out very favourable. Do a search and read the comments.

I am now thinking of sending my boy private. We are hoping to be there in the first couple of week of the new year.

Mandy
My brother in law works at Helensvale High and he says if he had kids he would send them there. Now, coming from him that is the best recommendation you could get. He believes it is one of the best schools around.
As for Upper Coomera, I used to work round the corner from the school and got told all sorts of stories from parents who pulled their kids out of the school. I'm not saying there were never good stories, just the bad seemed to outweigh the good.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by 68MEVY
My brother in law works at Helensvale High and he says if he had kids he would send them there. Now, coming from him that is the best recommendation you could get. He believes it is one of the best schools around.
As for Upper Coomera, I used to work round the corner from the school and got told all sorts of stories from parents who pulled their kids out of the school. I'm not saying there were never good stories, just the bad seemed to outweigh the good.
Could anyone tell me what the catchment areas are for Helensvale High School as I can't seem to find it and glad to know that Hope Island is zoned for that school as we liked it there when we visited a few years ago.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by johnpod
Hi We are in the same boat, 2 girls 12 and 14 and fingers crossed a rental on Hope Island so in Helensvale catchment. Our choice was between Pac Pines and Helensvale - have been told that Helensvale is the best state school in north GC area and other expats kids who go there seem to think its ok.

When/where are you heading out, we go on 4th December and have arranged to recce both schools, my 14 year old is very anti so having to bully her along a bit - leaving party this weekend was very hard seeing her with all her mates!!

If your's fancy getting in touch with mine for a reality check just let me know

Good luck

Ali
Hi
We arrive on the 1-12-07 so only a few days before you and we will checking the schools out asap.We had our leaving party this week end just gone lots of tears flowing .My 14 year old does not want to go to Aussie either and we are bribing her some new clothes,phone etc.
I am sure that she would like to get in touch someone in the same boat as her so feel free to pm us anytime and maybe we can all meet up in Aussie in the near future or at one of the meet ups.By the way we used to live in Southampton not far from you .
Old Nov 20th 2007, 4:19 am
Forum Regular

Pomme is a name known to allPomme is a name known to allPomme is a name known to allPomme is a name known to allPomme is a name known to allPomme is a name known to allPomme is a name known to allPomme is a name known to allPomme is a name known to allPomme is a name known to allPomme is a name known to all

Hey,

in my oppinion i dont think Upper Coomera is a very good school.
it's very unorganised and doesn't give you any drive to actually want to try in school.
i was being taught science for over a term by an Art teacher who i had to explain things to, and was then told she would have check with the other science teachers maybe just a bad example? but surely they could have brought in an actual science teacher for our class.

i never got to go to helensvale as the year was full when i tried, but feel it would have been the better school for me as im really into dance and they have a great performing arts department.

i have friends who have just left helensvale and they all seemed to love it, although i have heard by others it can be a pretty rough school. don't know myself how true that is.

coomera is really good if your from england, as there is ALWAYS new people arriving and theyre really accepting, but the teaching just seemes so behind.. maybe becuase i was used to going to a strict grammar school in enland? i don't know.

anyway, hope i helped.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

I'm having the same problem.

I put my son in Primary and hoped that he would meet some friends and then I would let him decide which one to go to as I can't make up my mind.

Trouble is, out of the 4 friends he always plays with:
1 is going to Upper Coomera
1 to Helensvale
1 to Assisi
and 1s not going to High school for another year !!

So, its back to the drawing board.

Saying that, I spoke to someone from Helensvale the other day and was told that entry for non Helensvale resident children is now closed but they have a waiting list starting up.

I may not have a choice in the end. Assisi , another local school but Private which I was considering is already on a waiting list with priority being given to children baptised catholic so have discounted that one.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 3:04 am
Cobbalobs

grossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to all

I live in Ormeau but building house in Coomera Springs nxt year, was speaking to land sales guy 'Paul' recently and a new primary and high school are being built in Upper Coomera, near Coomera Springs. And there is also a high school being built in Ormeau too, going by the Primary school (which my kids go to) i would say it's definately worth looking into it.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 4:44 am
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grossenbol
I live in Ormeau but building house in Coomera Springs nxt year, was speaking to land sales guy 'Paul' recently and a new primary and high school are being built in Upper Coomera, near Coomera Springs. And there is also a high school being built in Ormeau too, going by the Primary school (which my kids go to) i would say it's definately worth looking into it.
yes I know. Unfortunately my son moves to High schol in January
Old Nov 26th 2007, 5:46 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pomme
Hey,

in my oppinion i dont think Upper Coomera is a very good school.
it's very unorganised and doesn't give you any drive to actually want to try in school.
i was being taught science for over a term by an Art teacher who i had to explain things to, and was then told she would have check with the other science teachers maybe just a bad example? but surely they could have brought in an actual science teacher for our class.

i never got to go to helensvale as the year was full when i tried, but feel it would have been the better school for me as im really into dance and they have a great performing arts department.

i have friends who have just left helensvale and they all seemed to love it, although i have heard by others it can be a pretty rough school. don't know myself how true that is.

coomera is really good if your from england, as there is ALWAYS new people arriving and theyre really accepting, but the teaching just seemes so behind.. maybe becuase i was used to going to a strict grammar school in enland? i don't know.

anyway, hope i helped.
Phew! ... glad I checked the replies before adding MY 2 pennies worth as I didn't expect to see YOU reply ...lol

Anyway, will say the same regardless ...

Yes this is my daughter who has left the UCSC without any qualifications! In the UK she went to a (sorry Ash but I feel relevant) good grammar school, was top of her classes, studying 13 (I think) GCSE's and expected B or above grades! ... she's NOT stupid! ... but i also know the UCSC DIDN'T challenge her at all, and I can understand why she left.

As she says we at one point tried to move BOTH kids to Helensvale High (where my money goes 100%) but it was messy as classes they'd both like were already over subscribed and no chance really! ...

I've said loads of times on here that I was gutted how it's panned out for her as from the age of 5 we've always been told by her teachers that she's a VERY bright child, we know that obv, but personally I DO feel Australia has let me down really for them ... ... altho 'Australia' is too hard ... the UCSC has!

Ok, we know the Australian curriculum is different / behind / whatever ... but I remember one of the kids saying how they was JUST starting Algebra here and how they did that 2 years ago in the UK! If it all becomes 'too easy' I can see how someone could become bored with it all etc

Here's an example of how the UCSC deals with certain things.

We was called to the school because my son had got into a bit of trouble. While the head of year was chatting to us he spouted this line about if the kids want to work hard, we'll help! ... if they wanted to mess about, we'll leave them too it! ... i questioned this and said I thought no, if the child is misbehaving then you punish the child, NOT 'leave them too it!' ...

He didn't have much to say, and I told him it was a 'cop out'

Pathetic!

On the positive ending Ashley's now working, knows what she wants, and has goals! ... I can't ask for any more really ...

HER head of year told Nic not to worry about Ashley, she'll be right! If she wants to take a year out and work, but after that time she decides she wants to go back to school and possibly do a degree, then there is many routes in, it's not like the UK where you need O's and A's or whatever they call em these days ...

You know what I mean.

Helensvale EVERY time for me as it's established, has a good name, good results, and NOT 'all over he shop' like the UCSC.

Incidently, I don't know when the UCSC has it's first listing of OP results, gotta be soon I guess. Now THAT'll be interesting reading considering every other kid there in year 11 is leaving from what I hear!

Oh and final point. A few teachers at the UCSC told us that our kids would do better at 'private' schools here, and I think they're a diff ball game, even if they wear silly hats ...lol.

In an ideal world we'd of put ours in private, but altho private is a lot cheaper in Oz than the UK, NOT to temp residents and we just couldn't afford it so on reccy sourced out what we thought was the best the state could offer and went with that.

pity it was the wrong move ...
Old Nov 26th 2007, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Though not in Oz yet, we visited friends in Helensvale in the Summer. They have been there 2 years and have a son aged 13 and a girl aged 8 (same ages as my own kids).

They both attend the Helensvale schools and seem to be doing very well indeed.

The eldest gets homework most days and seems to enjoy classes. He is quite a bright lad and his parents have no worries about his schooling at all.

The youngest seemed slightly "behind" my youngest son. Not because she is less able, but i think the difference in the starting school age shows more at that age. The maths sheets etc that she was bringing home as homework were REALLY basic. That said, she seemed a lot calmer about it all than my youngest and it made me wonder if the UK system is a bit wrong in starting our kids so young? We have the 11 plus system on the Wirral and my youngest already has that in the back of his mind. My friend's daughter seems to still be enjoying things like painting and playing in the sand!

Not sure if this helps your decision, but thought you would like to know of 2 kids in that area doing well.

Hope you move goes well,
Ren.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,
I posted on a similar thread a while ago and cos I'm lazy,am just gonna post the link again. Which school??

Suffice to say we are more than happy with our daughter's education there.

They also have a decent website
Old Nov 26th 2007, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

I have to say that I have heard good and bad about both UCSS and Helensvale. It's sad to hear about the young lady who went to UC.

But, I have to say that my experiences of Oz education has been different to what I was expecting afer trawling numerous threads on here before we came over. We went to look at a Primary for my son who will be going to high school in January and they were assessing where he was educationally. They were asking him if he'd done this and that in maths and he sat there baffled. My daughter said that she didn't do them until the last 2 years of secondary (that was THE top school in the area, UK.)

He is now learning Japanese, more advanced maths than he was and having a thorouglhly good time.

UCSC were really helpful where my daughter was concerned. We went to speak to the principal who spent a long time discussing her options in relation to school/TAFE/Uni etc. She gave us pointers of where to go and numbers to ring. This impressed me no end, she didnt need to do that. I have also spoken to an ex-teacher from UCSC who sang its praises highly.

I havent had many dealings with Helensvale as yet but they were helpful on the phone.

In relation to bullying, drugs and all the rest of it. You get that in EVERY school,. Very often, if you listen to the news. its in the private schools!!!
Old Nov 27th 2007, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tracey.d
I have to say that I have heard good and bad about both UCSS and Helensvale. It's sad to hear about the young lady who went to UC.

But, I have to say that my experiences of Oz education has been different to what I was expecting afer trawling numerous threads on here before we came over. We went to look at a Primary for my son who will be going to high school in January and they were assessing where he was educationally. They were asking him if he'd done this and that in maths and he sat there baffled. My daughter said that she didn't do them until the last 2 years of secondary (that was THE top school in the area, UK.)

He is now learning Japanese, more advanced maths than he was and having a thorouglhly good time.

UCSC were really helpful where my daughter was concerned. We went to speak to the principal who spent a long time discussing her options in relation to school/TAFE/Uni etc. She gave us pointers of where to go and numbers to ring. This impressed me no end, she didnt need to do that. I have also spoken to an ex-teacher from UCSC who sang its praises highly.

I havent had many dealings with Helensvale as yet but they were helpful on the phone.

In relation to bullying, drugs and all the rest of it. You get that in EVERY school,. Very often, if you listen to the news. its in the private schools!!!
Hi
Thanks for all the info and I am going to look at both schools with an open mind.It all comes down to what you can afford to buy in the schools zoned areas I suppose.It would be nice to live local to the schools and not rent in the area to get the kids in and then move out of the school zone as the kids would have to travel a long way to go to school.Its nice for the kids to go to school in the community they live in.
I think that it all comes down to the parents and how they bring their kids up and the parents interest in their kids education.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.