Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Helensvale or Upper Coomera high schools?

Helensvale or Upper Coomera high schools?

Old Nov 27th 2007, 2:50 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Helensvale or Upper Coomera high schools?

Originally Posted by Dicko
Suffice to say we are more than happy with our daughter's education there.
But how was she settling there Dave? ... I seem to recall problems and obv relevant to the OP

On the flipside my 2 settled in the UCSC no probs at all, and very soon became popular with heaps of friends. The boy still goes and we / him are pretty happy so not all lost with the school ...

When I think of when we arrived and their friends I ALWAYS recall the young boy knocking on the door and asking "is English there?" ...lol. I think he copped that nickname for a while, but he prob enjoyed it ...
Old Nov 27th 2007, 3:38 am
Forum Regular

THE TURNER CLAN is a jewel in the roughTHE TURNER CLAN is a jewel in the roughTHE TURNER CLAN is a jewel in the roughTHE TURNER CLAN is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
But how was she settling there Dave? ... I seem to recall problems and obv relevant to the OP

On the flipside my 2 settled in the UCSC no probs at all, and very soon became popular with heaps of friends. The boy still goes and we / him are pretty happy so not all lost with the school ...

When I think of when we arrived and their friends I ALWAYS recall the young boy knocking on the door and asking "is English there?" ...lol. I think he copped that nickname for a while, but he prob enjoyed it ...
Good to hear a positive about the school, my eldest is due to start prep at UCSC in January and I was starting to get a bit worried. We only moved to Upper Coomera last week and are still finding our feet, by we I mean OH paul34, me Lisa 35, Bradley 4 1/2 and Luke 3yrs would be great to meet up with others in the area as at the moment we feel like billy no mates.
Lisa
Old Nov 27th 2007, 3:59 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by THE TURNER CLAN
Good to hear a positive about the school, my eldest is due to start prep at UCSC in January and I was starting to get a bit worried. We only moved to Upper Coomera last week and are still finding our feet, by we I mean OH paul34, me Lisa 35, Bradley 4 1/2 and Luke 3yrs would be great to meet up with others in the area as at the moment we feel like billy no mates.
Lisa
Hi Lisa,

Yeah I don't think the lower end of the school is a prob, but the senior years ... well, I think it's just all too new and not established. I think this is the first year 12 or sommit ... it's all 'guinea pig time' really for them, and I spose you have to expect teething probs maybe. It'll be all sorted by the time yours are at that stage, and to think they'll not leave the grounds till they finish school being a 'Super School' I think is the term (all levels on same site), that's gotta be a good thing ...

Me and Nic are just a tad older than you two, but our kids are obv quite a bit older, and that's the prob we find all the time cos we had ours in our early 20's so altho ours are teens, most friends have a lot younger kids and the two obv won't mix!

Anyway, ours do their own thing these days, and I WAS gonna say we could maybe do a meal at The Lost City if you fancied it, but to be honest i'm currently back in London so cab fare might be a bit much ...

I'm back in December, see how it all goes, but if nothing materializes then you MUST look out for the 'Gold Coast' meets, arranged by a good man on here called 'Soapy'. These happen often and just go from strength to strength, ideal for you as we are all in the same boat and there's always a bit of mingling and loads of friendships are formed ...

For all I know the next one is being arranged, but don't quote me, I just don't get as much time on the PC at the mo.

Just checked, and your in luck ...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=490712

Too easy and good luck! ...
Old Nov 27th 2007, 4:21 am
Forum Regular

THE TURNER CLAN is a jewel in the roughTHE TURNER CLAN is a jewel in the roughTHE TURNER CLAN is a jewel in the roughTHE TURNER CLAN is a jewel in the rough

Hi Lisa,

Yeah I don't think the lower end of the school is a prob, but the senior years ... well, I think it's just all too new and not established. I think this is the first year 12 or sommit ... it's all 'guinea pig time' really for them, and I spose you have to expect teething probs maybe. It'll be all sorted by the time yours are at that stage, and to think they'll not leave the grounds till they finish school being a 'Super School' I think is the term (all levels on same site), that's gotta be a good thing ...

Me and Nic are just a tad older than you two, but our kids are obv quite a bit older, and that's the prob we find all the time cos we had ours in our early 20's so altho ours are teens, most friends have a lot younger kids and the two obv won't mix!

Anyway, ours do their own thing these days, and I WAS gonna say we could maybe do a meal at The Lost City if you fancied it, but to be honest i'm currently back in London so cab fare might be a bit much ...

I'm back in December, see how it all goes, but if nothing materializes then you MUST look out for the 'Gold Coast' meets, arranged by a good man on here called 'Soapy'. These happen often and just go from strength to strength, ideal for you as we are all in the same boat and there's always a bit of mingling and loads of friendships are formed ...

For all I know the next one is being arranged, but don't quote me, I just don't get as much time on the PC at the mo.

Just checked, and your in luck ...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=490712

Too easy and good luck! ...
Yeh, don't think the budget would stretch to a cab fare from London
Thanks for the thread, will definately keep an eye on it. Hope its not too cold for you at the moment, at least you'll have the summer weather here to look forward to when you get back Thanks again for the reply
Lisa x
Old Nov 27th 2007, 4:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Paul think you may be getting us mixed up with someone else, I think I know who you mean though.

Our daughter is fine she loves it, and has gone from strength to stength even picked up a school award the other week down at the gold coast arts centre

She went straight into year 8 when we arrived luckily only in the first semester, the girls she was "buddied up" with she still speaks to but has lots of other friends now, I actually think back now when you see the size of the school it must have been so daunting!! I would have been sh**ing it, but she dealt with it all in her stride.

They break up next week, then it is back to year 11 next year, god how time flies.

But all in all with her OP subjects picked and having lots of friends, things to do etc. (on the coast who wouldn't )

It is all good
Old Nov 27th 2007, 4:59 am
Account Closed

Yeh, don't think the budget would stretch to a cab fare from London
Thanks for the thread, will definately keep an eye on it. Hope its not too cold for you at the moment, at least you'll have the summer weather here to look forward to when you get back Thanks again for the reply
Lisa x
... no but will be back soon as I say, CAN'T WAIT! ...

Yeah the Gold Coast meets are brill ...

Too cold? ... -6 the other night! ...lol, and to think on the Goldie ppl complain if it drops below double figures! ...

I just sent my last to my daughter who works in Surfers and just had her lunch break. she complained about how hot it was.

Tis a hard life eh! ...
Old Nov 27th 2007, 5:05 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, not been too bad today. Finally warmed up a bit Were out at Canungra on Sunday watching Elton John. K was so cold he felt sick and had to go to the car and sit with the heating on He's a woos It was chilly though
Old Nov 27th 2007, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orca05
Hi
I think that it all comes down to the parents and how they bring their kids up and the parents interest in their kids education.
I agree absolutely
Old Nov 27th 2007, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

russell is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
We are moving to GC in next few weeks and would like to know what people who send their kids to HELENSVALE HIGH and UPPER COOMERA state high schools think of them.We are looking at both schools and we have 2 teenage daughters 16yrs and 14 yrs.We would have to rent in the schools zoned area to start with before we buy a home so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Hi, we have a 14 year old daughter who started at Helensvale high 2 weeks ago she found people nice enough and although education here is a bit behind scotland ie. repeating work she done in primary 7. although in some subjects like study of society which she didnt study in the uk, she was given plenty of homework to catch up with the assignments. she finds the school relaxed and easy-going compared to schools in glasgow and most people are happy to help show you around as the school is so big she finds it really easy to get lost.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 5:04 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Dicko
Hi Paul think you may be getting us mixed up with someone else, I think I know who you mean though.
Yeah clearer head now and it was P,D, and C in question ...

As you were ...
Old Nov 27th 2007, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

Whingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really nice

Does anybody have any thoughts or experience of Coomera Anglican College,

I don't like the idea of sending my boy to a school that is religious if you know what I mean, I would rather him be him and that be the end of it.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Friend of a friend has a son there. I am about to email them for opinions. Will let you know the reply.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

orca05 will become famous soon enoughorca05 will become famous soon enough

Lisa
Hi
We move to Gold Coast next week and looking at UCSC and Helensvale for our kids.Upper Coomera looks like the area we will most probably live in and good to hear some positive things about UCSC as our kids will have to attend there.We have 2 teenage daughters and a just become 6yr old who has been in school for a year in NewZealand.We have been told that the starting age for schools in Aussie is 6 so she has been at school a year already.
It would be great for her to go to the same school as her big sisters and stay at the same school for her school years.
Does anyone know when the next GC meet up is as we will be billy no mates as well.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

Hi
We move to Gold Coast next week and looking at UCSC and Helensvale for our kids.Upper Coomera looks like the area we will most probably live in and good to hear some positive things about UCSC as our kids will have to attend there.We have 2 teenage daughters and a just become 6yr old who has been in school for a year in NewZealand.We have been told that the starting age for schools in Aussie is 6 so she has been at school a year already.
It would be great for her to go to the same school as her big sisters and stay at the same school for her school years.
Does anyone know when the next GC meet up is as we will be billy no mates as well.
Hiya

From reading the thread I think one will be organised in the new year as alot couldn't make it before xmas. I'm going to keep my eye on it as we would love to go to the next one.
Lisa
Old Nov 28th 2007, 2:54 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I think someone started a Pac Pines coffee morning but not 100% sure. Check out the meet up section.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.