Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Heidelberg Melbourne

Heidelberg Melbourne

Old Sep 3rd 2008, 7:57 pm
G'day Sport

Rick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of light
Default Heidelberg Melbourne

Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone in Melbourne lives in Heidelberg and if they would recommend it as a place to live.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heidelberg Melbourne

Originally Posted by Rick C
Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone in Melbourne lives in Heidelberg and if they would recommend it as a place to live.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Yes we do, and it's a great place to live! The train ride to the city is 25 mins, lots of parklands nearby, new Austin Hospital, Northlands shopping centre just up the road. What makes you consider Heidelberg and when are you making the big move? All the best and give me a shout if you want any more info.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 3:51 pm
G'day Sport

Rick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of light

We're just at the start of the process. Going to a seminar in October to get the ball rolling.

Chose Heidelberg because my Wife's uncle lives in Northcote. We've just got back from visiting him, and Northcote is a little out of our price range. Whilst we were there we went to Heidelberg and it seemed quitenice and I've done some property searching on the web and looks like we could afford a decent 3 bed house there.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 5:17 pm
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

We're just at the start of the process. Going to a seminar in October to get the ball rolling.

Chose Heidelberg because my Wife's uncle lives in Northcote. We've just got back from visiting him, and Northcote is a little out of our price range. Whilst we were there we went to Heidelberg and it seemed quitenice and I've done some property searching on the web and looks like we could afford a decent 3 bed house there.
Heidelberg / Northcote prices would be pretty similar in price Rick (i.e. Median close to 600k)
Heidelberg Heights/Heidelberg West should be a lot more affordable though. (about 200k less)

3081 (Heidelberg West / Heidelberg Heights / Heidelberg Rgh / Bellfield)
3084 (Eaglemont / Heidelberg / Rosanna / Viewbank / Banyule)

snapshot of the map of the area attached may help for reference.
The closer you get to Heidelberg/Eaglemont, the quicker your wallet will empty ;-)
Attached Thumbnails Heidelberg Melbourne-3084-postcode-melbourne.jpg  

Last edited by DownUnderPaddy; Sep 4th 2008 at 5:22 pm.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 11:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Most of Heidelberg is OK, but avoid at all costs Heidelberg West, (unless your going to invest in rental property). It's one of the last bastions of the less savoury types of commission areas of inner Melbourne. HW, should be ok in around 15 years I would guesstimate, owing to land price pressures of the inner city forcing the issue.

Rest of Heidelberg is great, oh bar one thing, it's more or less two car territory. Whereas the Adjacent suburb of Reservoir, has better shops and infrastructure, Mainly due to the tram lines along Plenty road and St Georges Rd, which means you could get away with one car.
Currently I'd say Preston, out of those inner subs at that level would be the best, Mostly because of shops and transport. Coburg, Heidelberg and Preston and finally Reservoir are the next inline to join the upmarket suburbs status of the inner north. Should be a great move from a property capital gain point of view.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Rest of Heidelberg is great, oh bar one thing, it's more or less two car territory. Whereas the Adjacent suburb of Reservoir, has better shops and infrastructure, Mainly due to the tram lines along Plenty road and St Georges Rd, which means you could get away with one car.
Currently I'd say Preston, out of those inner subs at that level would be the best, Mostly because of shops and transport. Coburg, Heidelberg and Preston and finally Reservoir are the next inline to join the upmarket suburbs status of the inner north. Should be a great move from a property capital gain point of view.
Ozzie, there are large parts of Heidelberg that are easily accessible to the train station (opposite the Austin Hospital). We are on Heidelberg Hill and within walking distance of the station and Burgundy Street shops/cafes, etc. and could manage with one car if we so chose. I would agree that the other side of Rosanna Road is not that accessible to the rail line but this side is certainly ok.

And yes, Heidelberg has aleady experienced significant capital growth in the past few years and is tipped to continue to do so due to its proximity, and ease of getting, to the City.

HTH
Old Sep 6th 2008, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all

Yes, that area between Noth Melbourne TAFE on Bell Street and Latrobe Uni is not the nicest place, I think it was used as the Olympic Village when Melbourne had the Olympics in the 50's but is a housing commision area now. But I was pleasently suprised with Heidelberg its a nice place and has a bit of Topograpghy and nice hilly streets. Some houses would have good views of the Dandenongs and the Yarra Ranges.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 3:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 29palms
Yes, that area between Noth Melbourne TAFE on Bell Street and Latrobe Uni is not the nicest place, I think it was used as the Olympic Village when Melbourne had the Olympics in the 50's but is a housing commision area now. But I was pleasently suprised with Heidelberg its a nice place and has a bit of Topograpghy and nice hilly streets. Some houses would have good views of the Dandenongs and the Yarra Ranges.
Most of that is Reservoir, its still got some decent pockets, and the Median is now pushing past 500,000 bucks.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

I'm living just down the road in Eaglemont and would concur with the above - Heidelberg's a great place to live. Just in Zone 1, good transport links, plenty of restaurants, parklands, very much a 'community' spirit but a bit bigger than some of the nearby smaller suburbs, easy access to the airport (straight down Bell Street) - there's really nothing bad to say about it.
We are renting now but if we buy then we would be looking to buy around there.
West Heidelberg is a bit dodgy and not great for getting to the city on public transport, but Heidelberg Heights is OK and parts of it (just the other side of the hospital) are walking distance to the station. Prices seem to be pretty good around there too.
Heidelberg does cover quite a big area though so it's worth having a good look around, especially if things like being close to the station are important to you.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 8:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DianneH68
I'm living just down the road in Eaglemont and would concur with the above - Heidelberg's a great place to live. Just in Zone 1, good transport links, plenty of restaurants, parklands, very much a 'community' spirit but a bit bigger than some of the nearby smaller suburbs, easy access to the airport (straight down Bell Street) - there's really nothing bad to say about it.
We are renting now but if we buy then we would be looking to buy around there.
West Heidelberg is a bit dodgy and not great for getting to the city on public transport, but Heidelberg Heights is OK and parts of it (just the other side of the hospital) are walking distance to the station. Prices seem to be pretty good around there too.
Heidelberg does cover quite a big area though so it's worth having a good look around, especially if things like being close to the station are important to you.

The bonus that Coburg and Preston has, the two adjacent suburbs, at the same distance out from the CBD, is Trams. Heidelberg is slightly greener and does have hills. There is bucket loads of money being poured into Preston right now, courtesy of the Chinese, they are moving there en-masse, I reckon that Suburb is the all the better for it. High St Preston is a real pleasure to visit at present.

Did you guys know that Northland secondary college is one of the main Koori schools in Victoria, thats on the Preston/Heidelberg West border.

Also the Colosseum hotel, of Heidelberg West which closed thankfully in the early 90's, was regarded as one of the toughest pubs in Melbourne. Definitely over this side of town. Played darts against them in the 80's that was like going to a Millwall away game, except very close quarters.