Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hectic first few days!

Hectic first few days!

Old May 5th 2004, 4:04 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hectic first few days!

Well folks, after our Singapore delay (qv) we arrived in Sydney last Saturday morning. The sky is unboken blue and it's 24' today so there!

You might like to know what we managed to accomplish in the first three days:

# Opened HSBC account by giving them $2000 cash, passport etc. Signed up for their credit card by "freezing" $1000 of that against the cc limit since have no credit rating. Very helpful and straightforward.

# Took letter from HSBC as intro to ING and opened internet account in which to place incoming cash.

# Sorted out dormant St George accounts: long queues, and bearing in mind their awful website, will shut these down.

# Applied for and got Medicare cards (had ones 15 years ago when on work permits so details still in system. Advised that our old cards are now collectors items!)

# Used library internet to apply for tax numbers. (and to post this!)

# About to do driver's test after a couple of hours on the booklet....

# Applied for Centrelink seniors card.

# Spent afternoon in kitchen appliance showroom. What fun.

Many other ventures but I wouldn't like to bore yo'all too much. Suffice it to say that everything so far has been incredibly easy, everyone is so helpful and it's a pleasure to do the things that make you explode in the UK. So far...

Hope this is of some help to you if you're on the way. Must rush to the RTA station for the test now. May get back online in a day or two's time.: regards all.
Old May 5th 2004, 4:11 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad you are enjoying Autumn in Sydney. Good luck at the test.
Old May 5th 2004, 4:27 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Rog and Mrs Rog,
welcome to Oz!!Sounds like its going well so far.....
Old May 5th 2004, 5:03 am
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hectic first few days!

Seems like you've been busy Rog!

I did much the same in my first few days - apart from ....
Originally posted by Rog Williams
# Applied for Centrelink seniors card.
I'm going to hold on a few years before applying for that one

Good luck with the driving test
Old May 5th 2004, 5:51 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

'K.

The driver knowledge test went OK although I screwed up the second question by not reading it correctly.

As you will know from the online practice test, one or two questions are quite easy to get wrong even though you know the right answer - there is one which has three pictures of parked cars - A, B and C - one of which is correctly parked - but the answers are annotated something different like C, A and B - so beware!

And they DO punch a hole in your "old" licence! (I gave them my Florida one which has sentimental value only now!)

Look out, NSW drivers!!
Old May 5th 2004, 5:54 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Look out, NSW drivers!!
Another Senior citizen on the road.
:scared:
Old May 5th 2004, 6:13 am
ABCDiamond

Congratulations

And they DO punch a hole in your "old" licence! (I gave them my Florida one which has sentimental value only now!)

Look out, NSW drivers!!
Not in QLD they don't

Old May 5th 2004, 8:17 am
Bloody Nice Bloke

ianj is an unknown quantity at this point

Rog,

Do you have the link for the online practice test please.
Old May 5th 2004, 8:25 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Congratulations

Not in QLD they don't

Or in Victoria!
Old May 5th 2004, 8:49 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

did they take your fingerprints when you got your licence Rog?!!!!
Old May 5th 2004, 8:51 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Good to hear from ya Rog!!!!....Gawd thot u were still sitting in the lounge in Singapore......Glad all is going well, and keep us posted
Old May 5th 2004, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

ayanem is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ianj
Rog,

Do you have the link for the online practice test please.
For WA, it's here

But they've been having some problems with the software recently.
Old May 5th 2004, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Look out, NSW drivers!! [/QUOTE]

Rog glad to hear you finally finally got out of Changi
well done -you've certainly fitted alot into a few days.
enjoy the sunshine- its was raining and hailing here yesterday.-so much for spring .
I sent you a pm
Old May 5th 2004, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Look out, NSW drivers!! [/QUOTE]

Rog glad to hear you finally finally got out of Changi
well done -you've certainly fitted alot into a few days.
enjoy the sunshine- its was raining and hailing here yesterday.-so much for spring .
I sent you a pm
Old May 18th 2004, 2:47 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by bondipom
Another Senior citizen on the road.
:scared:
Cheeky bugger!

On the way "home" now, staying in Singapore for a couple of nights. Will update on arrival.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.