Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Heathcare once I get there

Heathcare once I get there

Old Mar 18th 2005, 2:49 pm
Sydneysider as of May'05

drog1998 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Heathcare once I get there

I'm moving to Sydney in May on a PR visa and just wondered what i should do about healthcare whilst i'm there. Obviously here we have the godd old NHS but what happens if i fall ill over there, does their healthcare system cover me?

I know that emergency help is given but what about if anything became longer term. And also as i wont be living here will I still be entitled to the NHS?

Thanksfor any advice
Old Mar 18th 2005, 11:01 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heathcare once I get there

Originally Posted by drog1998
I'm moving to Sydney in May on a PR visa and just wondered what i should do about healthcare whilst i'm there. Obviously here we have the godd old NHS but what happens if i fall ill over there, does their healthcare system cover me?

I know that emergency help is given but what about if anything became longer term. And also as i wont be living here will I still be entitled to the NHS?

Thanksfor any advice
If you're on a PR visa, you're entitled to Medicare (Australian equivalent of the NHS).

Health insurance may be advisable, and once you earn over a certain amount is effectively compulsory through the Medicare levy surcharge.

Jeremy
Old Mar 21st 2005, 2:11 pm
Sydneysider as of May'05

drog1998 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you
Old Mar 21st 2005, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by drog1998

Thanksfor any advice
Don't forget you won't be covered by Medicare for Ambulance services. If you use an Ambulance, you'll have to pay. Depending on circumstances this can be around $3500.
It's advisable to join the ambulance service cover for the state in which you reside. In Victoria it costs $110 a year for a family membership.( This also covers you for the rest of Aus)
Another extra cost you never incurred in the UK
If your a PR in Australia and go on holiday to the UK you will be able to get medical assistance through the NHS under a recipricol agreement.