Heat in Perth

Old Jan 23rd 2003, 10:49 am
Lanarkshire Lass

sandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the rough
Default Heat in Perth

For someone who is fair skinned and although I like the heat I am not into very hot weather is Perth the best place to be going, also will be taking a fifteen month old.
Old Jan 23rd 2003, 10:38 pm
Just Joined

Perthguy is an unknown quantity at this point

We came with an 18month old child.
So long as you Slip, Slop,Slap and can afford Aircon, you should be fine.
It's not really hot for very long but stays lovely for ages, which means your kids won't be stuck in the house....and it's a mediteranean heat which is more bearable.

We were actually going to come to Sydney but rellies over there told us that Perth was the place for young families, so we came here and have been here for 13yrs now and love it.
Old Jan 23rd 2003, 10:55 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heat in Perth

Originally posted by sandradee
For someone who is fair skinned and although I like the heat I am not into very hot weather is Perth the best place to be going, also will be taking a fifteen month old.
Todays its 25c and raining , but expect up to 44c in the summer just had a run in the high 30c s next month is always the hottest if the east winds blow the place bakes .
You will need air-con the houses are hot at night if they warm durring the day, Sun cancer is a problem here keep young children well protected at all times.

Old Jan 24th 2003, 1:55 am
Forum Regular

Perth Helena is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sandradee
Hard to say, everyone's level of heat tolerance is different. Some people hate it. As already mentioned, it can get very hot, but it won't be relentlessly hot day after day for months or anything. If we get a heatwave (once a year maybe), then you can get high temps for a week or two - 32 and above, 40 for a day or two, not too cool at night, but this is not the norm. The typical summer will have days where it's in the high 20's for a few days, then low to mid 30's, a spike up to the high 30's or even 40 for a day or two, then back down again. A lot of variety. Most days are dry, although we do get the odd humid day - makes you appreciate the dry heat more.

The seabreezes can come in anytime after noon bringing much appreciated relief. Live as close to the coast as possible to benefit from this. Many afternoons you can shut the aircon and throw open the windows, get a good cross breeze going through the house. Also, make sure ceilings are insulated in the house you live in. With clay tiles on the roof, you feel like you're living in one of those clay pots you slowcook roasts in.

The first summer, and perhaps the next one, might be hard to take. Most people get acclimatized. 32 starts not being so hot anymore, starts being pleasant. And 21 gets to be chilly - time to put on a jumper.

This is a good site for Perth weather: http://members.iinet.net.au/~jacob/climate.html

It gives you great detail on daily temperatures throughout the year, for several years (Daily Observations since 1995). We get pretty pleasant temperatures starting in October, right through to end of April. Lots of other interesting info too.

With a baby - definitely get into the Sunsmart mentality. First thing to buy is a good sunprotection suit. They're available everywhere, in fun colours and styles. Hat, sunscreen, sunnies, the whole lot. And for you too. You get over the teeny bikini mindset quick - it's no fun trying to sleep at night with burning red sunburn on your back. I enjoy the beach wearing a rashie vest (long-sleeved 60+SPF top the bodyboarders wear) and board shorts. Plus, most people enjoy the beach in the morning or late afternoons, versus midday. Mornings are nicer since afternoons can be quite windy on the beach - enough to blow your umbrella or shade tent away.

Good luck
Old Jan 24th 2003, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

Perth Helena is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Todays its 25c and raining ,
How much rain did you get? Husband rang to say it was pouring in the City. We had a few feeble spatters for about 20 minutes, then nothing. Rain can be like that in Perth, especially in summer. Different from one suburb to the next. Winter rain has more consistent coverage and lasts longer. Wednesday wasn't the sizzler like they predicted either, it was 29, not 39. Seabreeze came in about 11 that day. Was actually a gorgeous day.

but expect up to 44c in the summer
Not often. I think we've had five 44 degree days in total, in 50 years. Only a handful of 40 degree days every summer. But then 39, 40, what's the dif? Hot's hot. 44 gets pretty awful though so thankfully that doesn't happen too often.
Old Jan 24th 2003, 3:10 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Perth Helena
How much rain did you get? Husband rang to say it was pouring in the City. We had a few feeble spatters for about 20 minutes, then nothing. Rain can be like that in Perth, especially in summer. Different from one suburb to the next. Winter rain has more consistent coverage and lasts longer. Wednesday wasn't the sizzler like they predicted either, it was 29, not 39. Seabreeze came in about 11 that day. Was actually a gorgeous day.

Not often. I think we've had five 44 degree days in total, in 50 years. Only a handful of 40 degree days every summer. But then 39, 40, what's the dif? Hot's hot. 44 gets pretty awful though so thankfully that doesn't happen too often.
Not as much rain as yesterday afternoon but it still looking overcast, yes Wednesday was odd the day before it was 34C , and we started playing golf at 8pm on Wednesday to miss the afternoon heat.
The weathers very odd right now looking at the next 4 days 26C,32C,34C then 29C seeing that the hottest months only a week away .
I have found the hottest days come with the Easterly Winds , its fine up until about 34C if we get the sea breeze after that its a case of stay inside in the air-con .
The weather is different from the UK , as you say it can feel cold at 20C because of the strong winds that Perth gets we had coats on last night to go down to the OB at 6pm , the place was half empty mainly because of the change in the weather.

Old Jan 24th 2003, 3:36 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Not as much rain as yesterday afternoon but it still looking overcast, yes Wednesday was odd the day before it was 34C , and we started playing golf at 8pm on Wednesday to miss the afternoon heat.
The weathers very odd right now looking at the next 4 days 26C,32C,34C then 29C seeing that the hottest months only a week away .
I have found the hottest days come with the Easterly Winds , its fine up until about 34C if we get the sea breeze after that its a case of stay inside in the air-con .
The weather is different from the UK , as you say it can feel cold at 20C because of the strong winds that Perth gets we had coats on last night to go down to the OB at 6pm , the place was half empty mainly because of the change in the weather.

It's 4.30 a.m. I'm hungover and I've got to leave for work. There is ice all over the car.

I'n 5 weeks time the only ice I'll see again will be in my glass and in my freezer.
Old Jan 24th 2003, 3:39 am
Just Joined

Where in Aus are you coming to Renth??
Old Jan 24th 2003, 3:41 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Perthguy
Where in Aus are you coming to Renth??
Hi there,

Our first month is Mullalloo then Ocean Reef, Hillarys or nearby.

where are you? in Perth?
Old Jan 24th 2003, 3:45 am
Just Joined

Currambine.
Just up from Ocean Reef

So are you coming for good or just a holiday???
Old Jan 24th 2003, 10:49 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally posted by Perthguy
Currambine.
Just up from Ocean Reef

So are you coming for good or just a holiday???

Were coming permanently. I've been to Perth 3 times over the last 15 years, I was there last in August 2002.

The 4th time will (hopefully) be for good.
Old Jan 24th 2003, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Grub is an unknown quantity at this point

Poor PB- problem is that there are now far too may people posting on this site that are actually there, so scaremongering no longer has the same effect as you are invariaby shown up to be an exagerrating miserable little toad. Keep up the hard wotk though. All our love, Nic, Dean and K
Old Jan 27th 2003, 11:52 pm
Banned

Originally posted by Grub
Poor PB- problem is that there are now far too may people posting on this site that are actually there, so scaremongering no longer has the same effect as you are invariaby shown up to be an exagerrating miserable little toad. Keep up the hard wotk though. All our love, Nic, Dean and K
Who exagerrating ? about what I ask , its a piss heads utopia I love it here , Australia day is brings out the best in the locals even use pepper spray to brighten the day up ,.
Perth a rubbish tip the day after thanks to crap leave behind them , not them Poms again?
Those who are here either have not found a job or have had to settle for a lesser job and most moan about the eduction system here , half way round the world to go backwards great.

SOUTH Perth Mayor John Collins has called for a crackdown on street drinking at next year's Australia Day celebrations as the council faces a big clean-up bill.

Mr Collins said too much lip service was paid to enforcing the alcohol-free aspect and he wanted a stronger police response next year.

"There has got to be lots of room for improvement," he said. "If you are going to place constraints you do not give lip service, you apply them."

Police highlighted South Perth as a trouble spot during Sunday's celebrations.

Mr Collins believed prolonged alcohol consumption could lead people to leave their rubbish. He estimated the council's bill could be up to $30,000.

He said other councils could share the burden of the day by providing rangers to patrol the foreshore next year.

The council will send about 70 cubic metres waste to landfill after plastic containers, broken glass and other rubbish was strewn along the foreshore.

City of South Perth environmental health and regulatory services manager Sebastian Camillo said it took 22 people about 10 hours to clear the mess.

The legacy of Sunday's celebrations was in full view of Cleanup Australia Day founder Ian Kiernan, who launched the rubbish collection project on the South Perth foreshore yesterday.

He said the broken glass was indicative of a riot and questioned why people failed to take away their rubbish.

"These people struggle down here with huge hampers and cartons of drink and food and all this sort of thing," he said. "It would be no bother for them to take home the light containers and dispose of them properly."

Acting Assistant Commissioner (Metropolitan Region) and Australia Day Operational Commander Chris Dawson said police were generally happy with the estimated 400,000 people who watched the Skyworks from public vantage points.

There were 21 arrests for crimes including disorderly conduct, drink driving and assault causing bodily harm.

He said 13 people were affected when an unknown person used a pepper spray about 9pm near Forrest Street, South Perth.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Jan 27th 2003 at 11:56 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2003, 1:21 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by renth
Were coming permanently. I've been to Perth 3 times over the last 15 years, I was there last in August 2002.

The 4th time will (hopefully) be for good.

Renth,
Howcome you are staying in Mullalloo for the first month??
Are you staying with friends or rellies??