Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

From The Heart, My Honest Thoughts

From The Heart, My Honest Thoughts

Old Sep 30th 2005, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

monkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant future
Default Re: From The Heart, My Honest Thoughts

Originally Posted by madsad
Well folks nine months in and it has not been the breeze i thought it might be!! after jumping hurdle after hurdle in the UK to get here and thinking (wrongly) that Australia would be the answer & solution to every problem i had in mine & my familys life reality has come calling.

The biggest mistake i made was thinking that distance evaporates your problems & your issues, for one reason or another our start here was not the greatest and it has seemed like an uphill battle ever since, it is with all honesty & an open heart that i can say that i have only come to accept what i have in my life and in this country in the past couple of days, to do this i have had to remember the reasons we as a family left the UK in the first place.

Some of the things you expect to happen when you leave the UK just dont come to pass, you expect that the people you grow up with will keep in touch and you will be as much in touch with the UK as you were when you lived there, naive & foolish i know but a lesson hard learned on my behalf, the best mate i thought i had has not contacted me once since we got here!! it takes time to learn that life goes on with out you being there and people have their own lives to lead and their own issues to deal with.

One of the hardest things i have had to deal with is the fact that i no longer have any contact with my mum & dad, my mum & dad were always a focal point in our familys life and when they turned on us(more specifically my wife) the week before we left it left me shaken to the core, the biggest mistake i made there was feeling bad for myself instead of feeling bad for the person worst affected who was Donna.

Folks this could be a gone with the wind but in summary, when i look i what i've got, i have a great deal, i have a loving wife who is also my best pal, i have my kids, i have seen what the UK has to offer and i like a lot of it, but this life is for the living and in the times where i have opened my eye's, mind & heart to what Australia has i know it has a great deal, me & donna have offered our kids an opportunity that not many can, from now on i am going to live for today and let tomorrow take care of itself.

Final Summary: A huge sorry to my wife & kids for dragging my heels and not getting my prioritys straight. D as ever you gave me the kick up the arse i needed, thankyou.

And for the folk coming, just come eyes wide open and accept this diverse nation for what it is and what it can offer you. It wont be for everyone but remember you choose it, it never choose you.

Cheers.

Mr Madsad.
Very deep and from the heart nice one. I'll have a to that.
Old Sep 30th 2005, 3:52 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Malc, it's about time you came on here, kick Donna out of the seat more often.

You've had a really rough time this last year, it would have finished loads of us off and obviously a lot of the rubbish travelled with you. Change doesn't happen overnight. At least you have now had that kick up the backside. Look forward, don't look back, enjoy your life and hard as it is forget the crap back in Scotland. It's neither yours nor Donna's fault that your parents have had lobotomies.

MP i am scared of few men, i am however kicking my wife nowhere, Dynamite comes in small packages you know.
Old Sep 30th 2005, 3:56 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

MP i am scared of few men, i am however kicking my wife nowhere, Dynamite comes in small packages you know.
Chicken
Old Sep 30th 2005, 4:07 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Blimey, certainly sounds like a rough ride but glad you're sorted
Old Sep 30th 2005, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

Latona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud of

madsad
its true and honest post like this that help people to realise that its not all roses, and that life goes on where ever you go.
hope you can build on your experiences with your family to make this the life that you longed for.

good luck to you all

sent you some karma
Denise peter and family
Old Sep 30th 2005, 6:15 pm
NAC
BE Enthusiast

NAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the rough

Madsad

Thankyou for such an honest and open post. I have read a lot of your posts (you and Donna) being fellow Scots and ex-clients of OE Visas!!(Say NO MORE! :scared: ).

I hope things do change for you. My sister died when she was only 30 and this certainly put things in perspective for me. Take a day at a time and make the most of it. Life is short and you never know what tomorrow will bring.

All the best

Carolyn
Old Sep 30th 2005, 8:16 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NAC
Madsad

Thankyou for such an honest and open post. I have read a lot of your posts (you and Donna) being fellow Scots and ex-clients of OE Visas!!(Say NO MORE! :scared: ).

I hope things do change for you. My sister died when she was only 30 and this certainly put things in perspective for me. Take a day at a time and make the most of it. Life is short and you never know what tomorrow will bring.

All the best

Carolyn

cheers.
Old Sep 30th 2005, 8:27 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Well folks nine months in and it has not been the breeze i thought it might be!! after jumping hurdle after hurdle in the UK to get here and thinking (wrongly) that Australia would be the answer & solution to every problem i had in mine & my familys life reality has come calling.

The biggest mistake i made was thinking that distance evaporates your problems & your issues, for one reason or another our start here was not the greatest and it has seemed like an uphill battle ever since, it is with all honesty & an open heart that i can say that i have only come to accept what i have in my life and in this country in the past couple of days, to do this i have had to remember the reasons we as a family left the UK in the first place.

Some of the things you expect to happen when you leave the UK just dont come to pass, you expect that the people you grow up with will keep in touch and you will be as much in touch with the UK as you were when you lived there, naive & foolish i know but a lesson hard learned on my behalf, the best mate i thought i had has not contacted me once since we got here!! it takes time to learn that life goes on with out you being there and people have their own lives to lead and their own issues to deal with.

One of the hardest things i have had to deal with is the fact that i no longer have any contact with my mum & dad, my mum & dad were always a focal point in our familys life and when they turned on us(more specifically my wife) the week before we left it left me shaken to the core, the biggest mistake i made there was feeling bad for myself instead of feeling bad for the person worst affected who was Donna.

Folks this could be a gone with the wind but in summary, when i look i what i've got, i have a great deal, i have a loving wife who is also my best pal, i have my kids, i have seen what the UK has to offer and i like a lot of it, but this life is for the living and in the times where i have opened my eye's, mind & heart to what Australia has i know it has a great deal, me & donna have offered our kids an opportunity that not many can, from now on i am going to live for today and let tomorrow take care of itself.

Final Summary: A huge sorry to my wife & kids for dragging my heels and not getting my prioritys straight. D as ever you gave me the kick up the arse i needed, thankyou.

And for the folk coming, just come eyes wide open and accept this diverse nation for what it is and what it can offer you. It wont be for everyone but remember you choose it, it never choose you.

Cheers.

Mr Madsad.
Brilliant post that really was from the heart
Old Sep 30th 2005, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by possoms
Brilliant post that really was from the heart

weird as it sounds,i just had to get it off my chest.

MM
Old Oct 1st 2005, 12:48 am
Living the dream downunde

Location: MeadowBank, Sydney, Aussie Land of Sea,Sun and Seashells
rapitts is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice post.

Australia is the best country in the world !!!
Old Oct 1st 2005, 1:00 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers.

Mr Madsad.
nice post Mal
Old Oct 1st 2005, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers.

Mr Madsad.
I can relate to this, for my hubby, he has been fine all along, but he does not have much contact with his family, dont know where we are.
But for me, took a bit of time, leaving older kids is the hardest, anybody doing it, rethink. I speak to my mum and dad all the time on webcam its brill, could the parents not get this, my mum and are 68,70, never been on a computor in their life and its opened a whole new world for them.
I speak to some friends on web cam, which is great, but yes you do find out who your real friends are, you have to remember they dont nead the contact like you do.
I remember not so long ago i rang one of my friends out of the blue, she said , oh cant speak now just going to make t. Im ringing from the other end of the bloody world, i would have dropped, everything.
YES we have done this for our kids and future generations, and in a couple of hundred yrs time they will talk about us, us who started it all, hope we made the right decision. Denise
Old Oct 1st 2005, 3:28 am
superam74

Cheers.

Mr Madsad.
Great post Mr Madsad, I'm about 6 months away from visa (hopefully). & the info & advice which you have given is priceless. The superam is now fully focused

Old Oct 1st 2005, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by superam74
Great post Mr Madsad, I'm about 6 months away from visa (hopefully). & the info & advice which you have given is priceless. The superam is now fully focused

No probs, have no expectations and no pre concieved thoughts and i dont reckon you will go far wrong.
Old Oct 1st 2005, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

No probs, have no expectations and no pre concieved thoughts and i dont reckon you will go far wrong.
I found its not just friends tho, family are just as bad. My sister begged and pleaded with us not to go to aus, she cried everytime we saw her, told us how it was so unfair that we were taking her nephews away from her. We got to aus and received not one phonecall! Not even to check we had landed safely. I had to call her but she was 'too busy to talk'. I made a point of calling her weekly. When I did catch her at a good time she spent most of the thirty mins moaning and asking us to come back. When we did come back, she acted as if we'd just stepped off the bus from spending a weekend in Skeggy! Its taught us that when you emigrate, do it for yourselves. don't be influenced by family. They say they care, but actually when your gone they just get on with their lives! You have to be very selfish and put yourself and your kids first, bugger everyone elses thoughts and opinions!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.