Reload this Page >

A heap of Questions about NZ

A heap of Questions about NZ

Old Feb 27th 2003, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

tobesters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A heap of Questions about NZ

Hiya all,
My Kiwi wife and I are off to NZ to live there at the end of this April. We'll be living in Queesntown for the winter, then after that, possibly somewhere up the West Coast.

I need to get a new computer and after buying a TFT monitor here, decided I'd wait 'til I get to NZ to get the rest of it.

Can anyone recommend any good suppliers of equivilant to PC World in the South Island?

Also, what's broadband coverage like in the South Island - I guess we'd be alright in QT but how's about the more isolated places?

Next,
I have BUPA coverage here and was wondering about if there's any kind of transfer program to take up a health insurance in NZ and not have to wait 12months before making a claim on it.
Any ideas on this?

Any help on the above much appreciated

Cheers
Toby
Old Mar 1st 2003, 5:08 am
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Toby

There aren't any large PC superstores like PC World in NZ - nearest thing would be Dick Smith (an Aussie company that has many shops in NZ - very much like Tandy as they sell everything from electronic components to PC's, printers, software etc). High street stores like Noel Leeming, Bond & Bond, Harvey Norman sell PC's, but have very limited choice. Electronics in general (esp things like higher end digital cameras, wide screen TV's etc etc) are more expensive in NZ. Retailers say it's because of NZ's small population / small market & shipping costs. Just another excuse to ramp prices up IMO.

As for broadband, Telecom NZ offer ADSL in/around most major towns/cities. In Wellington & Christchurch TelstraClear offer broadband over cable. If you live in / around a major town (eg Queenstown) you should be OK to get ADSL as long as you're not too far from the exchange. In very rural areas you haven't got a chance - some homes in the middle of nowhere can't even get a standard telephone line as Telecom have deemed the cost of providing it to expensive, so getting ADSL in these places is a pipe dream - only option would be wireless or satellite. Costs for Telecom ADSL are $99 installation fee (assumes you already have an analogue line) and monthly charges are $49 for which includes 500Mb worth of downloads or $69 per month for 1000Mb. Once you've gone over the 500 or 1000Mb limit, excess charging of $0.20c per Mb applies. You'll also need to subscribe to an ISP - Xtra charge $20 per month & there are various others like Paradise, Slingshot etc etc. On top of this you also need to buy line filters and an ADSL modem / router.

As for private health insurance, there are several providers in NZ - I'm with Southern Cross who are excellent. To give you an idea my premium is $102 a month (single person, 27yrs old) for the top scheme ultra care 400. This covers everything from doctors visits, prescriptions, eye care (contact lenses/glasses/eye tests) & dental cover. From memory the 'initial no claims' period was 3 or 6 months (can't remember) definitely not 12 months.

all the best,

Russ

More info:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydispl...toryID=3005892

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydispl...toryID=3007371

http://www.telecom.co.nz/content/0,3...200840,00.html

www.southerncross.co.nz
Old Mar 2nd 2003, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

tobesters is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks very much for the info.

Cheers