Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Healthier in Oz ??

Healthier in Oz ??

Old Feb 26th 2007, 1:19 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Healthier in Oz ??

Originally Posted by scott&rachel
Anyone who has moved to Australia & generally find it better for your health ?

i.e , hayfever , Eczema , asthma , maybe even rheumatism .... has living downunder improved your health ?

s&r
I was a perennial hayfever sufferer in the UK but had none here yet.....probably my allergy was restricted to a certain pollen in the UK not found here.

Am I healthier generally? Much the same, but feel happier
Old Feb 26th 2007, 1:25 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MD09
Usually in warmer climates the flu is less prevelenat as the germs when one sneezes/coughs disappears into the atmosphere.

This is because, humidity sucks the germs out of the air.

During winter, the germs linger around the ground.

This explains why the cold is rare here during the warmer months, and quite common in winter when there is little or no humidity.

Of course sharing enclosed public places such as on buses/trains etc will increase your chance of catching the flu at anytime of the year.
In England, I caught colds all year round, and right stinking ones too that would last for weeks and leave me with a hacking cough as a reminder. Not had any like that here, for which I'm very grateful. Maybe the germs in Australia are of a more gentle breed?
Old Feb 26th 2007, 1:29 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chels
In England, I caught colds all year round, and right stinking ones too that would last for weeks and leave me with a hacking cough as a reminder. Not had any like that here, for which I'm very grateful. Maybe the germs in Australia are of a more gentle breed?
Funnily enough I have had more colds here than in UK, but that I put down to working in schools with loads of runny-nosed kids
Old Feb 26th 2007, 1:31 am
Banned

MD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud of

Same sort of strength I believe, but different strains.

There is little humidity in england, even in summer, which is probably why you were catching the flu all year round.

It's not uncommon, when your immune system is vulnerable, to catch the flu on top of the flu - making you have one BIG flu episode that won't go away for weeks.

A friend had this happen to her in the UK. She went onto get pericarditis (which is an inflammation of the heart sack and can be quite serious).

Last edited by MD09; Feb 26th 2007 at 1:37 am.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 1:34 am
Banned

MD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
Funnily enough I have had more colds here than in UK, but that I put down to working in schools with loads of runny-nosed kids
You're catching all the bugs, which are different here. It happens quite alot to people at first when they live in a different country.

Once your body gets used to them, I'm sure catching anything in the warmer months will be quite rare.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 1:37 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MD09
You're catching all the bugs, which are different here. It happens quite alot to people at first when they live in a different country.

Once your body gets used to them, I'm sure catching anything in the warmer months will be quite rare.
Which will explain why,when I first came here I had my worst cold ever.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 2:17 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
Definately - my poor friend retrained as a teacher and suffers from non-stop colds, even a few years later she still hasn't built up the resistance (btw I mean 'poor' friend because of the colds, not because she became a teacher )
Old Feb 26th 2007, 2:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Definately - my poor friend retrained as a teacher and suffers from non-stop colds, even a few years later she still hasn't built up the resistance (btw I mean 'poor' friend because of the colds, not because she became a teacher )
I've enjoyed the benefits of having a sick child. Far from being immune, I also get the day off too. Bring it on!
Old Feb 26th 2007, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

i.e , hayfever , Eczema , asthma , maybe even rheumatism .... has living downunder improved your health ?

s&r
ok, in the UK both my son and I had nebulisers, oxygen,oral prednisolone, every antihistamine going etc! We both have climate induced asthma - it was pretty shocking. Since we've been here.............nothing! Have the neb and steroids on hand just in case, but touch wood all's good. One episode of wheezing by ollie when we were camping, but the temp dropped quite significantly so it was to be expected. He had a few puffs of ventolin and went off to play again, no probs!
Old Feb 26th 2007, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

paula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of light

s&r
australia has the worst skin cancer rate in the world, a few people i know have had operations or serious warnings from the docor, give me eczema or asthma anyday, now thats what i call healthy
Old Feb 26th 2007, 8:47 am
Account Closed

Scott will become famous soon enough

well i am pleased i started this thread , yeah i could have done a search and found loads of previous threads but theres nothing like asking your own question .

from what i have learned is that i am hopefull of a better healthier envoirment .
although if you need to get out and excersize then of course its yourself that has to make the effort , here in the Uk , you look outside & think " i don't really wanna go out there today " , but i am sure that once in Oz that thinking will subside due to the added sunshine , after all thats a big plus in going .

i have spent all winter here ( uk ) with a chesty cold , i have mild asthma & in May i get hayfever that last for about 5 weeks .
i tend to go abroard in spring because of this , just to get some relief & everytime i go to warmer / drier climate my hayfever goes .

i apreciate that if i lived abroad that spring is different time of the year so if i was to stay there a year i could well find my hayfever returns at a different time of year .

if i can get a little improvment from a move down under then thats a big bonus to me .

this is not my reasons for going to Oz , but it is an important issue .

right , gotta go .... have appointment at the Doctors

Thanks to all contributions to my thread

Last edited by Scott; Feb 26th 2007 at 8:51 am.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 9:09 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ransi
Which will explain why,when I first came here I had my worst cold ever.
Yes. When I did three year's running work in Sydney for four months at a time, each time I came straight down with a horrendous cold on arrival. The third year I was accused of malingering!
Old Feb 26th 2007, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

sparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of light

I tend to exercise a lot more with the outdoors life and now that I can cycle to work but on the downside I seem to eat more junk food. - $3.95 dominos pizzas and cheap as chips chinese food is proving too much temptation for me! I also drink a lot more beer.

However, health wise I have bad dust allergies and since living in a unit without carpet, have barely sneezed at all. Its amazing. I've gone from 2 packets of tissues a day to maybe one packet a month. I didn't realise how badly it used to affect me.
Old Feb 27th 2007, 5:05 am
Mozzie magnet

After posting about how few colds I get now I'm living in Australia, I've managed to succumb to one!! How ironic
Old Feb 27th 2007, 5:08 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

After posting about how few colds I get now I'm living in Australia, I've managed to succumb to one!! How ironic
Aw, get better soon Chels.

I had a cold last week. Today I've got a tummy bug.
I'm aiming to get everything all at once.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.