Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Health undertaking and dodgy thyroid

Wikiposts

Health undertaking and dodgy thyroid

Old May 22nd 2004, 4:37 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Health undertaking and dodgy thyroid

Simple question: I have well controlled hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid) and asthma. On medication, only require annual check-ups.

Am I likely to be asked for a health undertaking for my spouse visa?

Anyone with hypothyroidism/asthma had to do this?
Old May 22nd 2004, 6:39 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health undertaking and dodgy thyroid

Originally posted by bundy
Simple question: I have well controlled hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid) and asthma. On medication, only require annual check-ups.

Am I likely to be asked for a health undertaking for my spouse visa?

Anyone with hypothyroidism/asthma had to do this?
Hi Bundy
I very much doubt you will have a problem.It is not that serious.
Some people with conditions such as Diabetes seem to get through OK so don't see why you should have a problem.

I'm no expert though!

Good luck and best wishes

G
Old May 22nd 2004, 10:07 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health undertaking and dodgy thyroid

Originally posted by Grayling
Hi Bundy
I very much doubt you will have a problem.It is not that serious.
Some people with conditions such as Diabetes seem to get through OK so don't see why you should have a problem.

I'm no expert though!

Good luck and best wishes

G
Thanks Grayling,

I'm not worried about passing the medical - it's a basic and common condition, totally controlled and very cheap to treat. I'm just worrying about the 6 month requirement on the health undertaking as this could give us only a few months to get out there if I front end load. I'd just like to know in advance if it's likely I'll have to sign a health undertaking. Why can't DIMIA be more specific about these things?! I've spent months trying to find answers but I'm still confused...
Old May 22nd 2004, 10:22 am
Just Joined

karenmck is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Bundy
I too have hypothyriodism, controlled by drugs. When I had my medical I had to have my thyriod levels checked. They were actually worse and I needed an increase in my thyroxine but this did not have any effect on my application, we were still approved.
I don't know about the asthma side though.
Good luck
Karen
Old May 22nd 2004, 10:29 am
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by karenmck
Hi Bundy
I too have hypothyriodism, controlled by drugs. When I had my medical I had to have my thyriod levels checked. They were actually worse and I needed an increase in my thyroxine but this did not have any effect on my application, we were still approved.
I don't know about the asthma side though.
Good luck
Karen

That's good to hear, thanks Karen. I've had asthma all my life and it's been controlled for years. Nearly 10 years since my last full-blown attack,so I doubt asthma will cause a problem. Plus the symptoms vanish in Oz.

It's a long story, but I nearly had my medical in March. I had to cancel it a couple of weeks before, but I arranged the have my bloods done the week before the medical so that I had the results to take with me, along with a thick wad of paper containing all my consultant reports, blood test results blah blah blah as suggested by the place I was having my meds done.

I'm assuming they made you pay for your thyroid test?

Is yours under control now? Mine was all over the place for a while, but it's been settled for 6 months now.
Old May 23rd 2004, 8:21 am
The Outback Beast

fogmeister is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, Mrs Fogmeister has got an under active Thyroid gland, she sailed through the medicals, I am just wondering about the financial side of it when we arrive in oz, as its free on the NHS, Any thoughts.
Old May 24th 2004, 2:40 am
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by fogmeister
Yeah, Mrs Fogmeister has got an under active Thyroid gland, she sailed through the medicals, I am just wondering about the financial side of it when we arrive in oz, as its free on the NHS, Any thoughts.

Good, good. Hoping I will too. The rest of me is in pretty good working order!

No free prescriptions on Oz ( ) but I believe you can sign up for some pre-paying thingy, a bit like you can here in the UK, so you get the thyroxine cheaper. I remember a figure of $60 being thrown about, and a feeling that this was per year, for meds. Blood tests and check ups would be on top of that. I don't think it's anything major on the financial side - it's a cheap condition to treat. Once it's controlled of course. Wouldn't like to guess how much the brain scans, cortisol tests with additional crash team, endless outpatients appointments, multiple blood tests and consultants' time cost in *real* terms:scared: