Health System

Old Mar 15th 2008, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

Yiddo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Health System

My wife and I are looking at moving to the Perth area (wife is a nurse and has family there). How does the health system work there?
Old Mar 15th 2008, 12:08 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health System

Originally Posted by Yiddo
My wife and I are looking at moving to the Perth area (wife is a nurse and has family there). How does the health system work there?
Try a search for Medicare
Old Mar 15th 2008, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Medicare and Private Health Insurance. Depending on what type of visa you're coming here on, depends on whether you get full Medicare or just "immediately necessary care". It also dictates what type of private health insurance to get (plus it costs more on certain visas)
Old Mar 15th 2008, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

What about existing complaints? Are they covered?
Old Mar 15th 2008, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

There's normally a waiting period (or even exclusion) for pre-existing complaints if you want to claim through private health insurance. I think it's something like 6 months for pre-existing stuff and 12months for pregnancy stuff.

But, if you're going through the medicare route (and you're getting a PR visa, not a temporary one) then you may well be covered by medicare (although there will probably be some out of pocket expenses).
Old Mar 15th 2008, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

I think if we do come over it will be on a PR Visa (hopefully).

Thanks for the info.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

One more thing. Do you have to be employed to be entitled to Medicare?
Old Mar 15th 2008, 12:27 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

No mate being a yiddo is terminal.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

I don't think so. I'm not employed (but my husband is) and we have the reciprocal medicare card (as we're currently temporary residents).

You won't be able to claim any unemployment benefits until you've been here 2 yrs though.

Edited to add - just seen you're coming PR - then you'll be entitled to full medicare card as soon as you move over here. You will still have to pay the "gap" though. For example, when I go to my GP, it costs $68. Medicare gives me $34-ish back.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 1:28 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

No, you don't.