Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Health service whinge

Wikiposts

Health service whinge

Old Nov 24th 2005, 7:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health service whinge

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
So does that mean you need health insurance and also seperate insurance to cover the cost of the ambulance??
Take qld, up to last year you needed ambulance insurance, however some private health funds would cover you, now if you have any electricity accounts you will be automatically charged an ambulance levy (great scheme if you have 3 elec accounts you pay 3 times ) so are covered. If you dont have an electricity account (say a new arrival/visitor) you will still need some insurance.

Other states, maybe others can post the systems there, or check local regs as soon as you arrive, Ive seen posts here where newbs or reccies have got large bills
Old Nov 24th 2005, 8:55 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
Do you think it will become more like America where they check your insurance as soon as you are out of the Ambulance?? I mean $33000 is quite a low threshold (I think anyway)
If the Liberals got into power on their own in both upper and lower houses without the nationals then this country would probably get a US style health system. The liberals are certainly big proponents of private health but the pressures of being in a coalition and having a slim majority in the upper house has kept them on the leash.

As is the Liberals are highly unlikely to get that much power.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 9:07 pm
Account Closed

fishface is an unknown quantity at this point

Last yr in oz i found breast lump, a week b4 Christmas. went to Dr's next day, (I need about a 2 week notice period here to get an appointment at our Dr's UK)!
The oz doc sent me next day to have ultrasound scan, and mammogram. got the all clear the same day. it cost about $200, but got all but $80 back, including GP app. well worth the cost in my mind, the worry was over b4 it had time to start. she would have got me in the same day, only it was about 4.30 pm by then.
In comparison my friend here in UK waited 12 weeks for same thing! thankfully she was all fine too, but if she hadn't of been how much damage could have been done in 12 weeks!
also in oz 3 yr old daughter had cough for a while, Dr's suspected pneumonia, sent her for x-ray the next day, it was confirmed and she was quickly put on right treatment avoided hospital and recovered pretty well. the availability of xrays here for that kind of quick diagnosis is just not in existence. that was all funded by Medicare.
By the way you may wonder why I'm back!- can't really think why we did return now, homesickness I think, but def oz sick now and we are planning a return!
Old Nov 24th 2005, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

I have had to use the Health System here in Perth many times I can say that the service has been exceptional.