Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Health and Safety Advice

Health and Safety Advice

Old Aug 22nd 2011, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

bennyboybuster is just really nicebennyboybuster is just really nicebennyboybuster is just really nicebennyboybuster is just really nicebennyboybuster is just really nicebennyboybuster is just really nicebennyboybuster is just really nicebennyboybuster is just really nice
Default Health and Safety Advice

Not sure if anyone could help,

Looking at starting a business in Perth and will be employing 6 people ( Hopefully )
Can i write my own SSOW and RA's ?
I have worked for DHL for 10 years in the UK and have done this before with the company as have been trained and have a IOSH managing safetly course.
I will of course get the guys trained etc.
Any advice as have the opportunity to start a new business.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 7:38 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health and Safety Advice

Originally Posted by bennyboybuster

Looking at starting a business in Perth and will be employing 6 people ( Hopefully )
I have worked for DHL for 10 years in the UK and have done this before with the company as have been trained and have a IOSH managing safetly course.
Not sure mate but one thing I do know is Aus is very beurocratic and has it's own OH & S standards which might differ from those in UK. Just cos you're qualified in UK doesn'r necessarily mean the same applies over here mate. I suspect you may need to go on a course to gain Aussie classification before you can train others.

Have you checked out the government site in Perth for small business? Here is a start point http://www.privacy.gov.au/faq/smallbusiness

Good luck mate
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

petemel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bennyboybuster

Hello bennyboybuster.

I am currently a prison officer here in the U.K. Myself and my family are mulling over a move to OZ. However there are no jobs for prison officer's in oz.
So I was thinking of re training and moving into H&S. I have no experience in this field, hoever I thinking about taking the NEBOSH general & Diploma while gaining experience as the H&S officer at my establishment.

I am doing the courses as I hope it will help me gain employment in oz. Could you advise me if at all possible please mate. Good/bad idea...Waste of time/money.

Regards

Mac
Old Aug 25th 2011, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

bennyboybuster is just really nicebennyboybuster is just really nicebennyboybuster is just really nicebennyboybuster is just really nicebennyboybuster is just really nicebennyboybuster is just really nicebennyboybuster is just really nicebennyboybuster is just really nice

Mac

Hi really can't answer for sure but you will need 3 years atleat of experience in that field.

I will be doing a Australian qualification when over there, as my IOSH is not really pratical so they say ???

NEBOSH good qualification but the laws are so different not sure how it will stand.

Sorry not much advice, but try dropping a note to the H&S body in the area you are moving.

Cheers

Good luck
Old Aug 25th 2011, 8:25 pm
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

Have a friend who's a tradie, was lamenting the general H&S awareness. Professionalism and approach compared to the UK. Apparently there is a short course you can do at TAFE (a few weeks) that'll get you started as a consultant on circa $80k?? Sounds too good to be true but his judgement in usually spot on. I'll try and get the course title and post it on here. But good reason for optimism, sounds like there is a window of opportunity to pull up tree's downunder by just doing the job right.

I thought that the NEBOSH was international but I remember even seeing painter and decorators vans with trade licence numbers so wouldn't be surprised at all if Australia has it's own specific and local training requirements.

I will be watching this thread as its an area I have thought about retraining for, not sure how much I fancy the idea of sweating my balls off in front of a control panel in 40degC in the long term