Reload this Page >

Health Insurance Info.

Health Insurance Info.

Old Jan 4th 2007, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

Simpson Clan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Health Insurance Info.

Hi there,

We are currently in the process of applying for the provisional 495 visa and wondered if anyone could help.

My daughter is due to get dental braces in January. (We are hoping to be in OZ by April) Does anyone know if medical insurance companies will allow us follow-up orthodontic treatment in their policy. Has anyone had to deal with this type of dilema? Would it be better to wait until we get over to Australia before we have the braces fitted? Can anyone recommend a Health Insurance Company who would cover orthodontic treatment.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Jan 4th 2007, 8:06 pm
Newbie!

Spikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to all
Default Re: Health Insurance Info.

Originally Posted by Simpson Clan
Hi there,

We are currently in the process of applying for the provisional 495 visa and wondered if anyone could help.

My daughter is due to get dental braces in January. (We are hoping to be in OZ by April) Does anyone know if medical insurance companies will allow us follow-up orthodontic treatment in their policy. Has anyone had to deal with this type of dilema? Would it be better to wait until we get over to Australia before we have the braces fitted? Can anyone recommend a Health Insurance Company who would cover orthodontic treatment.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Hi, a little bit similar as I need a crown doing - my tooth broke a week before we left the UK . It seems to be a 12 month waiting period under most of the private insurers for major dental work (which I think braces would come under?) so unless she could wait for a year after your arrival for them I'd get them done in the UK and pay up front for follow up work until you're covered.

Unless you can find an insurance cover through your company that would waive the waiting period but I think you'd still end up paying quite a bit here - someone was telling me the other day about their teen needing braces and it was something scary like $10000 - I don't know whether that was with/without health ins.

Hth
Old Jan 7th 2007, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Spikey
Hi, a little bit similar as I need a crown doing - my tooth broke a week before we left the UK . It seems to be a 12 month waiting period under most of the private insurers for major dental work (which I think braces would come under?) so unless she could wait for a year after your arrival for them I'd get them done in the UK and pay up front for follow up work until you're covered.

Unless you can find an insurance cover through your company that would waive the waiting period but I think you'd still end up paying quite a bit here - someone was telling me the other day about their teen needing braces and it was something scary like $10000 - I don't know whether that was with/without health ins.

Hth
Thanks for letting me know, I'm going to speak to my dentist and see if my daughter could do without them for a year. After watching a programme last Friday I kinda thought that perhaps it wouldn't be such a good idea for my daughter to network with her mouth full of metal braces anyhow.

Perhaps you could answer another question for me, I read in a magazine that the British Government have an agreement with the Australian Government stating that British citizens have access to Medicare. We are coming on a SIR provisional visa would this still stand?? or would we have to get full private medical care? I apologise for asking such a complicated question and will understand if you don't know. just thought I'd ask since you are already there.

T

Last edited by Simpson Clan; Jan 7th 2007 at 12:20 pm. Reason: incomplete
Old Jan 7th 2007, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

khoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant future

medicare should be ok. Even with private medical there will be a 12 month waiting period for many services to kick in.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

khoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant future

Oh and the whole system is much better than the UK. Trust me they actually want you to live and can actually diagnose problems in minutes, not ignore it for 3 years and say take an asprin!
Old Jan 7th 2007, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by khoardiroy
Oh and the whole system is much better than the UK. Trust me they actually want you to live and can actually diagnose problems in minutes, not ignore it for 3 years and say take an asprin!
That's good to hear, the NHS totally sucks!!!!!! we waited 3 years for an orthodontist appointment for my daughter so waiting for 1 more year won't be too much trouble. My daughter is off the hook for a little while longer great to her satisfaction.

T
Old Jan 8th 2007, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

AmandaJ is an unknown quantity at this point

That's good to hear, the NHS totally sucks!!!!!! we waited 3 years for an orthodontist appointment for my daughter so waiting for 1 more year won't be too much trouble. My daughter is off the hook for a little while longer great to her satisfaction.

T
Orthodontist treatment is not covered by Medicare in Australia. Private Healthcare will only usually cover orthodontists for between $400-$600 per year up to a lifetime max of around $2,000. This doesn't actually cover much when the cost for treatment/braces can range between $4,000-$10,000.

I would advise that you get as much done in the UK before you arrive if possible.

Also, kids dental is not covered by medicare.

There is a similar approach with opticians, only eye tests are covered by Medicare. Everything else, glasses, contact lenses, etc - even for kids - have to be paid for. You can cover most of this on private healthcare but there are still maximum limits.

Details of health insurance providers can be found via google aus, this will show you the costs of cover and limits for extras.

Hope this helps.
AJ
Old Jan 10th 2007, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by AmandaJ
Orthodontist treatment is not covered by Medicare in Australia. Private Healthcare will only usually cover orthodontists for between $400-$600 per year up to a lifetime max of around $2,000. This doesn't actually cover much when the cost for treatment/braces can range between $4,000-$10,000.

I would advise that you get as much done in the UK before you arrive if possible.

Also, kids dental is not covered by medicare.

There is a similar approach with opticians, only eye tests are covered by Medicare. Everything else, glasses, contact lenses, etc - even for kids - have to be paid for. You can cover most of this on private healthcare but there are still maximum limits.

Details of health insurance providers can be found via google aus, this will show you the costs of cover and limits for extras.

Hope this helps.
AJ
Thanks for letting me know about this, I'll have to put my thinking cap on and make a decision pretty soon I think, my daughter will love you for telling me.

T
Old Jan 10th 2007, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really nice

My son has been wearing glasses since he was 2.5. Since arriving in Oz I've noticed many more younger kids wearing glasses and lots wearing braces. I'm sure if you daughter gets them in the UK she won't be the odd one out by any means.....I think it's a bit more American with teeth here.

We are insured with Manchester Unity but recently someone told me they changed to HCF as they offered a very similar policy at a cheaper rate. Here's their link http://www.hcf.com.au/Products/defau...ember_id=Guest

Not sure where you are heading but it's worth getting Ambulance cover too. We go ours with Vicambulances and it was about $100 for the year even if you are covered with private insurance often the sum insured isn't that big.

Last edited by Caroline G; Jan 10th 2007 at 9:22 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 9:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Caroline G
My son has been wearing glasses since he was 2.5. Since arriving in Oz I've noticed many more younger kids wearing glasses and lots wearing braces. I'm sure if you daughter gets them in the UK she won't be the odd one out by any means.....I think it's a bit more American with teeth here.

We are insured with Manchester Unity but recently someone told me they changed to HCF as they offered a very similar policy at a cheaper rate. Here's their link http://www.hcf.com.au/Products/defau...ember_id=Guest

Not sure where you are heading but it's worth getting Ambulance cover too. We go ours with Vicambulances and it was about $100 for the year even if you are covered with private insurance often the sum insured isn't that big.
Thanks I'll have a look into it, we'll have to get MAX Cover as we are going over on the SIR 495 provisional visa, so as far as I'm led to believe we are not entitled to use Medicare which really sucks! considering as we are British Citizens we could use it if we were there on holiday.

Tracy
Old Jan 12th 2007, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks I'll have a look into it, we'll have to get MAX Cover as we are going over on the SIR 495 provisional visa, so as far as I'm led to believe we are not entitled to use Medicare which really sucks! considering as we are British Citizens we could use it if we were there on holiday.

Tracy
on a temp visa you are entitled to medicare for emergencies only, in the same way you would if you were on holiday