Reload this Page >

health insurance?

health insurance?

Old Apr 2nd 2009, 4:29 am
Just Joined

PK1979 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default health insurance?

Hi guys,

Does anyone have any tips or advice with regards to health insurance for a couple who have PR.

The only extra's we are concerned about would be dental.

Thanks in advance

PK
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 7:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: health insurance?

Try www.iselect.com.au for a first scan of policy options
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 9:19 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

The only reason for getting it, really, is to save the tax if you are a higher earner. The out-of-pocket costs even when insured are quite high.
Old Apr 4th 2009, 4:24 am
Just Joined

thanks
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 3:56 am
Just Joined

thanks again!!

post no.3 so I can send private messages!

Old Jun 2nd 2009, 3:57 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
The only reason for getting it, really, is to save the tax if you are a higher earner. The out-of-pocket costs even when insured are quite high.
Also avoids the age loading (Lifetime Health Cover).
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 5:02 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Try www.iselect.com.au for a first scan of policy options
Be aware that "iselect" is very selective in which insurance companies it has in its list. Most of the major ones are missing ... (not because they are bad).
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Be aware that NOTHING that is classed as a medical "outpatients appointment" is covered by private health cover, so if you get carted off to hospital and admitted then they will pay something, if you are not admitted you pay and claim back whatever you would get back through medicare anyway. If I sound bitter, I am! I have just had to pay out for consultants' appointments and tests that would have cost me nothing had I not stupidly agreed to go to the private hospital when the ambulance crew asked, thinking that as I had private health insurance they would pay at least some of it. My own fault I know for not familiarising myself better with the system, but you live and learn.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 5:21 am
Forum Regular

Smartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud of

We have private health cover but in my opinion its not what you think most of the time. It certainly does not give you "peace of mind" that you can afford the best cover, as it will only pay you back "up to" the medicare levy price for a proceedure and most hospitals/surgeons/consultants will charge you way over that for their services (they seem to be able to charge what they like) and its up to you to "shop" around for one you can afford. If your recommended a particular surgeon for an op you usually want that one to do it not someone unknown. If you go private you will still be possibly $1000's out of pocket so be warned. Don't just role up to a hospital and accept lots of tests/scans etc thinking that you have insurance and they will be covered you could be in for a very nasty shock!
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 6:15 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smartinis
We have private health cover but in my opinion its not what you think most of the time. It certainly does not give you "peace of mind" that you can afford the best cover, as it will only pay you back "up to" the medicare levy price for a proceedure and most hospitals/surgeons/consultants will charge you way over that for their services (they seem to be able to charge what they like) and its up to you to "shop" around for one you can afford. If your recommended a particular surgeon for an op you usually want that one to do it not someone unknown. If you go private you will still be possibly $1000's out of pocket so be warned. Don't just role up to a hospital and accept lots of tests/scans etc thinking that you have insurance and they will be covered you could be in for a very nasty shock!

Out of interest, how much does it cost to obtain total peace of mind insurance here, and how does it compare to similar schemes in the UK?

I had an excellent policy when I was in the police - it covered 100% of fees charged for pretty much everything, excluding IVF/women's problems, dental and optical. That was 30 quid a month, so about $62 a month, so $750 a year.

What cover could I get for $750 a year here?

S
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 7:59 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Out of interest, how much does it cost to obtain total peace of mind insurance here, and how does it compare to similar schemes in the UK?

I had an excellent policy when I was in the police - it covered 100% of fees charged for pretty much everything, excluding IVF/women's problems, dental and optical. That was 30 quid a month, so about $62 a month, so $750 a year.

S
I don't think there's such a policy here for PRs - I could be wrong.

Certainly you won't get that Police deal!
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

sparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of light

S
I'm pretty sure, though I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe there are any policies here that will cover you for 100% of everything. For PRs or for anyone else for that matter. There will always be some "gap" between what your private insurer will pay and how much it costs. Unless you can get a surgeon to participate in "gapcover" schemes where they agree to do the surgery for a lower price (i.e. for the max your insurer will pay). They will for some, won't for others. All depends. And there will still be out of pocket somewhere along the line, be it for tests, scans, excesses, follow up appointments etc.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

sparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of light

S
Have a look on medibank.com.au and look up "MyOptions" packaged cover. That's what i have for $733 a year so will give you a good idea for a single person coverage. Its pretty much limited to cover you for private hospital in case of an accident and not much else as well as cover for extras like Physio, dental etc. Trip to a medibank approved dentist for check up, scale and polish 2 times a year is completely free. Trip to medibank approved physio costs me about $21 out of pocket. Trip to approved chiro is about $15. The premiums take into account the 30% rebate from the govt on private health ins. This is going to change next year depending on how much you earn, so the premiums will go up by 10 to 30% if you earn anything over $75k a year.

To give you an example, I'm having lot of trouble with my knee at the moment. I went to my GP (out of pocket $25) who referred me for MRI ($250 out of pocket) and to orthapeadic surgeon (out of pocket $80). Had I needed surgery, once admitted, most of cost would be covered through private health, but none of my costs so far would be. Both GP and surgeon consultations cost more than the prices I detailed, but I got some back through medicare (the public system). You can't get an MRI or an orthapedic surgeon consultation for free through private health ins or through medicare completely funded unless you are physically unable to walk and are therefore actually in hospital!

Private health hospital pretty much covers you once you've been admitted, none of the pre-hospital stuff.

Last edited by sparkley23; Jun 3rd 2009 at 8:13 am.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 1:02 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sparkley23
I'm pretty sure, though I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe there are any policies here that will cover you for 100% of everything. For PRs or for anyone else for that matter. There will always be some "gap" between what your private insurer will pay and how much it costs. Unless you can get a surgeon to participate in "gapcover" schemes where they agree to do the surgery for a lower price (i.e. for the max your insurer will pay). They will for some, won't for others. All depends. And there will still be out of pocket somewhere along the line, be it for tests, scans, excesses, follow up appointments etc.

Yes, that's what I thought. Perhaps if people thought they were getting better value for money from their health insurance, then more people would sign up for it. At the moment, the base of people willing to pay is small, so insurers can't afford to offer more inclusive policies. It's a catch 22 position IMO.

Having been spoiled in the past, I am very reluctant to sign up for anything more than the basic level that lets me off of the additional tax, as the actual value for money seems shocking. I am happy to pay for insurance, but I want to see value for money from my premiums, not still end up being massively out of pocket through ridiculous gap gap payments and the greed of medical practitionsers.

I wonder how the BUPA international policies stack up? I notice that they offer 100% coverage, but at what price?

S
Old Jun 4th 2009, 2:22 am
Just Joined

charliegirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Here are some health insurance companies:

Medibank Private (one of the oldest and was started by the Federal Government back in the 1980s)

HBA

NIB

Australian Unity

I think there was an article out a few months ago that compared the cost of all insurance companies and Australian Unity did well. I used to use NIB but found their fees were higher and their pamphlets were designed to steer you towards taking out more expensive cover.

It's best to speak to people over the phone to find out what you can get and what it will cost you, once you have done your own research, to clarify any questions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.