Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

health insurance

health insurance

Old Sep 13th 2004, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

luverly is on a distinguished road
Default health insurance

I am trying to find out what kind of medical care we are entitle to in australia on a 4 year temp visa. Does anyone know whether we are entitle to anything or if we need to organise health insurance?
Old Sep 14th 2004, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

CornishPasty is on a distinguished road
Default Re: health insurance

I believe you are entitled to the standard medicare cover. I was on my 1yr Working Holiday Visa and of course am now with my PR. I recommend a quick call to them to confirm. Here is the site link for their locations and contact addresses

http://www.hic.gov.au/yourhealth/whe...d_us/index.htm

cheerio
Old Sep 14th 2004, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

toos is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by luverly
I am trying to find out what kind of medical care we are entitle to in australia on a 4 year temp visa. Does anyone know whether we are entitle to anything or if we need to organise health insurance?

We are currently on our 3rd temp visa (just applying for PR at the mo). Medicare you are entitled to emergency cover only i.e basic doctor & hospital treatment. If you have private healthcover (not all private insurers do overseas cover), medicare won't pay a cent Medicare give you around $25 back for your doctors appointments (I think), its best to find a doctor that will bulk bill and then you don't pay anything.

Toos
Old Oct 4th 2004, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

mandrew is a jewel in the roughmandrew is a jewel in the roughmandrew is a jewel in the roughmandrew is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by luverly
Hi there,please can you help. I saw your posting and here i am in Melbourne about to be sponsored by Toni and Guy as a hairdresser having worked for them before. They've told me i have to get my own insurance and would like to know what you have found out in this regard as i dont want to waste money and may have to put them right if they arent. Cheers dears and if you need a great cut contact me please at [email protected], Andrew.
Old Oct 4th 2004, 5:24 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toos
We are currently on our 3rd temp visa (just applying for PR at the mo). Medicare you are entitled to emergency cover only i.e basic doctor & hospital treatment. If you have private healthcover (not all private insurers do overseas cover), medicare won't pay a cent Medicare give you around $25 back for your doctors appointments (I think), its best to find a doctor that will bulk bill and then you don't pay anything.

Toos

To be clear, don't think of 'emergency' meaning you are about to die, your bleeding everywhere or you've been in a car crash - istead think of it as the opposite to 'elective', i.e. 'emergency' means you need it whereas 'elective' means you want it. I have no private cover and never had any problems with Medicare (including my wife getting her eye test paid for).
Old Oct 4th 2004, 10:18 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandrew
Hi there,please can you help. I saw your posting and here i am in Melbourne about to be sponsored by Toni and Guy as a hairdresser having worked for them before. They've told me i have to get my own insurance and would like to know what you have found out in this regard as i dont want to waste money and may have to put them right if they arent. Cheers dears and if you need a great cut contact me please at [email protected], Andrew.
Hi M,
What sort of sponsorship are they offering ?
Is it ENS ? or a 457 temp visa ?

Whichever it is you should famoliarise yourself with this.......

http://www.immi.gov.au/work/sponsored_skilled.htm