Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Health insurance for 2 years on a 457 visa.

Health insurance for 2 years on a 457 visa.

Old Aug 5th 2008, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

Soton2Sydney is just really niceSoton2Sydney is just really niceSoton2Sydney is just really niceSoton2Sydney is just really niceSoton2Sydney is just really niceSoton2Sydney is just really niceSoton2Sydney is just really niceSoton2Sydney is just really niceSoton2Sydney is just really niceSoton2Sydney is just really nice
Default Health insurance for 2 years on a 457 visa.

My partner and I are moving to sydney in September, as part of his terms and conditions of joining IBM he has to have private medical insurance. As we are both under 30 we do not anticipate any serious illnesses etc so he is considering going for the minimum (cheapest) cover which only covers in-hospital expenses. I am going on the back of his 457 visa and was wondering if I even need medical insurance as I believe that Autralia has an agreement with the UK to provide NHS style care to anyone that needs it. Please can someone confirm this is the case and also comment on whether what we are planning to do makes sense? All advice would be most welcomed.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

confuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really nice
Default Re: Health insurance for 2 years on a 457 visa.

Originally Posted by Soton2Sydney
My partner and I are moving to sydney in September, as part of his terms and conditions of joining IBM he has to have private medical insurance. As we are both under 30 we do not anticipate any serious illnesses etc so he is considering going for the minimum (cheapest) cover which only covers in-hospital expenses. I am going on the back of his 457 visa and was wondering if I even need medical insurance as I believe that Autralia has an agreement with the UK to provide NHS style care to anyone that needs it. Please can someone confirm this is the case and also comment on whether what we are planning to do makes sense? All advice would be most welcomed.
Reciprocal Medicare info

Have a look at that for starters.

The reciprocal agreement does not cover

*medicines not subsidised under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme
*dental work and allied health services
*treatment arranged before your visit to Australia
*accommodation and medical treatment in a private hospital
*accommodation and medical treatment as a private patient in a public hospital.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Domenic is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys,
Does anyone know how roughly how much Health Insurance for two adults would cost? Just thinking of rough estimates, were both in good health. Who is a reputable company to get a quatation from?

Regards

Dom
Old Aug 6th 2008, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

confuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really nice

Originally Posted by Domenic
Hi Guys,
Does anyone know how roughly how much Health Insurance for two adults would cost? Just thinking of rough estimates, were both in good health. Who is a reputable company to get a quatation from?

Regards

Dom
which state are you looking at? I know that in WA, HBF have a website and on the website you can get quotes.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

xpat5 is an unknown quantity at this point

A company that sponsers someone on a 457 visa is responsibe for ensuring that they (i.e your partner) have the minimim private healthcare insurance (basic hospital cover). I'm sure a company like IBM will pay for this for him, although if he wants extras like dental cover etc that will cost him more (like $40-$50 per month more). As for yourself I think that you will be entitled to standard medicare (under the reciprical agreement between the UK and Aus), but if you wanted private healthcare you would be looking at about $120 ish/month I would say. Have a look at www.mbf.com.au
Old Aug 6th 2008, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Domenic is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Thanks for your resonse, we are heading to Queensland.

Best Regards

Dom
Old Aug 7th 2008, 4:30 am
Forum Regular

Katya_Mark has a spectacular aura aboutKatya_Mark has a spectacular aura aboutKatya_Mark has a spectacular aura about

My OH is working in Melbourne on a 457, and we had to take out the private insurance of their choosing..... It is with mbf and costs $350 per month this is for 2 x adults aged 31 & 32 and a child aged 20 months. Rip off I think