Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Health care age loading?

Health care age loading?

Old Mar 26th 2010, 11:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health care age loading?

Originally Posted by tking
Often the reason for taking out Private Health cover has absolutely nothing to do with needing health cover and simply as a vehicle to avoid the Medicare Levy Surcharge (1% for any earnings over $70,000 for a single).

Saves me money and I get cash back from the dentist/optician/physio!
You may already know this but the dentist/optician/physio bit does not relate to the Medicare Levy Surcharge at all. Only the hospital cover.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I think the tax relief is a tax on people who cannot afford health insurance and I would hope that people felt a little guilty about that.

We were on high income too before we retired and we paid the extra levy willingly because we use the system, we want a public system, it works well and we are grateful for it.

So many people say oh I only use my health insurance when I have to and use the public taking beds and tax from the poor.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 1:23 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Petals
I think the tax relief is a tax on people who cannot afford health insurance and I would hope that people felt a little guilty about that.

We were on high income too before we retired and we paid the extra levy willingly because we use the system, we want a public system, it works well and we are grateful for it.

So many people say oh I only use my health insurance when I have to and use the public taking beds and tax from the poor.
So you think I should feel guilty for taking out Private Health insurance to avoid the medicare levy!

Sorry - I don't.

I pay tax (highest rate). I want a public system and I am grateful for it. Am I prepared to pay an EXTRA few grand for it after already paying my FAIR share of tax. No.

Are people who don't earn under $70,000 poor. No.

I pay my fair share (no offshore accounts, no dodgy deals etc.). That's it.

I don't feel guilty and I never will. And, if I do need to go to hospital I'll use my private health - that's what it's for.

How do you see that as 'taking beds and tax from the poor'??
Old Mar 29th 2010, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tking
So you think I should feel guilty for taking out Private Health insurance to avoid the medicare levy!

Sorry - I don't.

I pay tax (highest rate). I want a public system and I am grateful for it. Am I prepared to pay an EXTRA few grand for it after already paying my FAIR share of tax. No.

Are people who don't earn under $70,000 poor. No.

I pay my fair share (no offshore accounts, no dodgy deals etc.). That's it.

I don't feel guilty and I never will. And, if I do need to go to hospital I'll use my private health - that's what it's for.

How do you see that as 'taking beds and tax from the poor'??
I see it as taking tax from the poor because the money you receive to assist you with your health insurance is not assisting them, and they are not as lucky as you having a high income and being able to pay for health insurance. I applaud you for using your health insurance but I can tell you a lot of people do not do that, if they are struck down and taken to the ED they do not tell them that they are insured they keep their insurance for those elective jobs that have long lists. This has long been a bone of contention especially with the loading that has been put on health insurance.

I am not against health insurance had it for a long time but it has to be private and it used to be. I do not agree with a government assisting private for profit companies with tax payers money and this is what happens.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 10:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Petals
I see it as taking tax from the poor because the money you receive to assist you with your health insurance is not assisting them, and they are not as lucky as you having a high income and being able to pay for health insurance. I applaud you for using your health insurance but I can tell you a lot of people do not do that, if they are struck down and taken to the ED they do not tell them that they are insured they keep their insurance for those elective jobs that have long lists. This has long been a bone of contention especially with the loading that has been put on health insurance.

I am not against health insurance had it for a long time but it has to be private and it used to be. I do not agree with a government assisting private for profit companies with tax payers money and this is what happens.
I would look at it as the more people that have private cover the less people there are relying solely on the state and thus everyone benefits.