Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Heading to Melbourne

Heading to Melbourne

Old Jun 28th 2006, 7:27 pm
Trainee Domestic Goddess

baglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond repute
Default Heading to Melbourne

Hello to everyone, I've posted a couple of times on here but feel a little uncomfortable not having introduced myself properly!

My Scottish hubby (what is it with their desire to move South?) decided we needed to move to Australia a couple of years ago and I managed to stall him as I was just to afraid to deal with the reality of leaving everything comfortable and safe to live on the other side of the world. A year ago he managed to get himself offered a job in Melbourne and after a reccie trip, during which I had a very critical eye, I couldn't refuse him the opportunity and I've agreed to emigrate (if that is indeed, what I am doing!). We got our visa a month ago and have been immensely lucky to have sold the house (stc). So we are going, though don't have a date as yet. We anticipate it being August sometime.

I'm naturally petrified but really open minded and keen to embrace the challenge of being part of a country that's totally new to me. We are at a point where our daughter will be starting school there in February and I'm feeling loads of pressure to try and get a school organised in advance, which is difficult when you don't know where you'll be living!

We heard lots of good stuff about Mt Eliza - Mt Martha so we think we'll head that way. For those who know, is it a fairly vibrant community there? I want beach side location but I don't want to bury my head in the sand when I get there!

Must say, I really appreciate the fact that those who seem to be really clued up on integrating into the Aussie lifestyle take the time to share their knowledge and good advice with others on this site. It's kind of my life-line at the moment!
Old Jun 28th 2006, 7:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heading to Melbourne

Originally Posted by baglady
Hello to everyone, I've posted a couple of times on here but feel a little uncomfortable not having introduced myself properly!

My Scottish hubby (what is it with their desire to move South?) decided we needed to move to Australia a couple of years ago and I managed to stall him as I was just to afraid to deal with the reality of leaving everything comfortable and safe to live on the other side of the world. A year ago he managed to get himself offered a job in Melbourne and after a reccie trip, during which I had a very critical eye, I couldn't refuse him the opportunity and I've agreed to emigrate (if that is indeed, what I am doing!). We got our visa a month ago and have been immensely lucky to have sold the house (stc). So we are going, though don't have a date as yet. We anticipate it being August sometime.

I'm naturally petrified but really open minded and keen to embrace the challenge of being part of a country that's totally new to me. We are at a point where our daughter will be starting school there in February and I'm feeling loads of pressure to try and get a school organised in advance, which is difficult when you don't know where you'll be living!

We heard lots of good stuff about Mt Eliza - Mt Martha so we think we'll head that way. For those who know, is it a fairly vibrant community there? I want beach side location but I don't want to bury my head in the sand when I get there!

Must say, I really appreciate the fact that those who seem to be really clued up on integrating into the Aussie lifestyle take the time to share their knowledge and good advice with others on this site. It's kind of my life-line at the moment!

I hope you will be very happy in Melbourne, that is where we are hoping to head to. We are of for a visit in Oct and i cant wait.
My hubby is hoping to go via the army route, so that is quite scary for me, not knowing what life will be like. But i support my hubby and like you find this site a very valuable source of information.
I wish you lots of luck
Mandy
Old Jun 28th 2006, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

thribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond repute

Hi! I don't know about Mt Eliza, but *bounce* as we're just waking up over here!

I wasn't petrified when I came over, but we don't have children, which I'm sure makes a huge difference. We have found Melbourne to be welcoming and fun - there always seems to be something going on, from comedy festivals to puppet festivals, with plenty for kids. The people here are great - if a week goes by without someone on the street saying hello to me, I'm perplexed!

The BE people here are more than willing to take the chat/advice/friendships into the real world, so I'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to behold

Great area nice beach location, tends to be a lot of Brits there, leafy and about 11/2 hours to CBD by train, you have to drive to Frankston. I have been over to Melbourne (have family there) several times and although Dandenongs are the most beautiful location we to are looking at Mount Eliza / Mornington area
Old Jun 29th 2006, 7:26 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Heading to Melbourne

Originally Posted by thribble
The BE people here are more than willing to take the chat/advice/friendships into the real world, so I'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck.
Yes, your other half has demonstrated this admirably! Big shout going out to him! This would-be Victiorian really appreciates his friendly advice!

Curry and beer on me when we get there (btw I mean this.)

Buzzy
Old Jun 29th 2006, 7:49 am
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Baglady,

Although I can't tell you about those areas as we are in Zone 1, what I can tell you is that the New Melburnians who I've met here that frequent this board are all very personable. So I've found myself with a social network before I even have a job. Doh!

Anyway, welcome to Expats and maybe I'll be able to help with any other questions in the future.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 7:50 am
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Yes, your other half has demonstrated this admirably! Big shout going out to him! This would-be Victiorian really appreciates his friendly advice!

Curry and beer on me when we get there (btw I mean this.)

Buzzy
I can help too!!!!!!!
Old Jun 29th 2006, 8:30 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Heading to Melbourne

Originally Posted by mackinnon
I can help too!!!!!!!
Excellent. Performance bonuses are always awarded for a job well done!

Buzzy
Old Jun 29th 2006, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

thribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent. Performance bonuses are always awarded for a job well done!

Buzzy
Hubby sitting next to me says "that's me that is!". Thanks very much You'll have to join up with the curry posse when you get here!

Baglady - hope you like a curry too - you can join our neverending quest for a good one!
Old Jun 29th 2006, 9:05 am
Victorian Evangelist

Talking Re: Heading to Melbourne

Originally Posted by thribble
you can join our neverending quest for a good one!
You haven't found a good one yet???

Thats' it! I'm emigrating to Bangladesh instead.

Buzzy
Old Jun 29th 2006, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Thats' it! I'm emigrating to Bangladesh instead.

Buzzy
MAybe it should be changed to a good cheap curry
Old Jun 29th 2006, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

I can't offer any help or advice whatsoever as we are just starting our with the application and are hopefully heading to Brisbane.

I just wanted to say that I hope you will be very happy in Mebourne and settle in to your new life.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 9:50 am
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all

We have been in Melbourne for 10 months now and we love it!!!! We used to live on the south coast in the UK (I'm from Poole and OH from Southampton) and we're now in Southern(ish) Australia. I know that Victoria doesn't get year round sun and warmth but we wouldn't change it for the world. Melbourne is just a fantastic place to live and we've done so much in the 10mths we've been here than we would ever of done in the UK (i.e. Commonwealth Games, Australian Open, sitting on banks of Yarra River on New Year's Eve with 42 degree heat , Telstra Dome to watch rugby, Disney on Ice with the kids which was great and off to see Robbie in Dec ). Everything is so accessible and not expensive. Good luck and hope it all works out for you.

Lorraine
Old Jun 29th 2006, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Previously County Durham. ENGLAND. Now in Mornington, Victoria. (via Brisbane)
paulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud of

Hi

We are in Mornington, been here since March after a few months in Brisbane. ( I have posted our adventures on the nurses forum..an update from paulb)

We visited Mornington after hearing good reports about the peninsula. We could see immediately that we liked the place, the atmosphere was 'nice', reminded me a bit of the good bits of England. When we came, the weather was really nice and although its winter now, the wife spends a lot of time on the beach with our 2 little uns.

Our eldest is 5 in August and will start school in January. We hope to buld soon in Mt Martha, so will try and get her in Mt Martha primary. Little un goes to one of the local kinders. Im a community nurse in mental health, based in Frankston, which is a big town with all the shops you could want. I've experienced some unpleasant characters in the town and some unpleasant areas in and around Frankston, (as with most large towns) some nice also might I add, and its also very busy. Move down the peninsula and things change. Traffic can be heavy at times, but within 2 mins you can be out in the country. And of course the beaches are there whenever you want. It is quite vibrant even in winter, with adverts for hot soups and cosy warm fires in the pubs restaurants and wineries, which is nice. Summer of course, the population swells all down Port Philip bay with all the tourists. My wife likes horses and is hopefull of getting a part time job in a local stableyard in the future, of which there are many.
If your unsure about schools, email a few and try and put her name down at different ones. Mornington primary is nice, we went to the open night and it seems each school is 'seeking business'. we were going to put our daughter there but looks like we will be going to Mt Martha.

Generally, the peninsula is a nice place to live, 1 hour from the city if you need to go in.

Hope this helps....good luck, and feel free to mail me for any further info.

Paul

Try this site: http://s7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/index.php?

Last edited by paulb; Jun 29th 2006 at 10:22 am.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Johnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond repute

The curry we had on Saturday night was very good. As was the one that I had at lunchtime today here.

I'm sure we'll have found the perfect Aussie curry by the time you get here, mate. Oh... and Billy and I are also hunting for the best whiskies in town!

Take it easy;

--paj

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.