Reload this Page >

is he or is't he an Ozie?that is the question

is he or is't he an Ozie?that is the question

Old May 31st 2004, 11:21 am
Just Joined

hank is an unknown quantity at this point
Question is he or is't he an Ozie?that is the question

the question is:
We are on a 457ie temp visa and have just had a baby(6 weeks ago )he has just been sent a Australian (QLD) birth certificate, but we will be going to the UK for a holiday soon and wonered if and how to get a passport for him but is he an Ozzie or a Pom??????
all replise gratefully received.
Old May 31st 2004, 11:34 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute
Post Aussie or Pom?

Actually, he's both! As you have a Qld. birth certificate, you can apply for an aussie passport. You can also apply for a British passport because he is the child of a British Citizen but I believe that before you can, you need to apply for his citizenship which takes about 9 mos.

A friend of mine is just going through the same thing. She is Canadian living in London with her hubby, a Pom.
The baby was born in England but has citizenship rights as a Canadian through his mum.

I believe it works the same way in your situation but a quick call to the passport office would probably clear everything up.

Does that mean the baby is a Possie?
Old May 31st 2004, 11:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie or Pom?

Originally posted by Siren
Does that mean the baby is a Possie?

OzTennis
Attached Thumbnails is he or is't he an Ozie?that is the question-possums.jpg  
Old May 31st 2004, 11:55 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is he or is't he an Ozie?that is the question

Originally posted by hank
the question is:
We are on a 457ie temp visa and have just had a baby(6 weeks ago )he has just been sent a Australian (QLD) birth certificate, but we will be going to the UK for a holiday soon and wonered if and how to get a passport for him but is he an Ozzie or a Pom??????
Firstly, congratulations.

If you are British otherwise than by descent, your kid will be British by descent. Jeremy will have more insights on this.

Since both parents are on temporary visas, the baby does not qualify for Australian citizenship by birth, the fact that the baby received an Australian birth certificate is irrelevant insofar as Australian citizenship is concerned. The baby will receive the same visa as the parents.

Peter
Old May 31st 2004, 12:10 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ptlabs
Firstly, congratulations.

If you are British otherwise than by descent, your kid will be British by descent. Jeremy will have more insights on this.

Since both parents are on temporary visas, the baby does not qualify for Australian citizenship by birth, the fact that the baby received an Australian birth certificate is irrelevant insofar as Australian citizenship is concerned. The baby will receive the same visa as the parents.

Peter

Hmmm... sounds like a loophole to me. I'm pretty sure that you have citizenship wherever you are born, whether it's on holiday, temp visa or a day trip across the border.
Which leads me to my next question...

If you are born in international waters (either in a boat or on a plane) what nationality are you?
Old May 31st 2004, 12:28 pm
The Outback Beast

fogmeister is an unknown quantity at this point

A Silimar type of question was asked in this thread

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=233407
good luck
Old May 31st 2004, 12:53 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure that you have citizenship wherever you are born, whether it's on holiday, temp visa or a day trip across the border.
No, it doesn't quite work that way for Australian citizenship presently. http://www.citizenship.gov.au/ will give you more generic information.

Basically, you can only obtain Australian citizenship by birth if you were born in Australia to at least one parent who is an Australian citizen or Australian permanent resident. If neither of your parents was an Australian citizen or permanent resident, you get the visa held by your parents.

Peter
Old May 31st 2004, 1:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm... sounds like a loophole to me. I'm pretty sure that you have citizenship wherever you are born, whether it's on holiday, temp visa or a day trip across the border.
Which leads me to my next question...

If you are born in international waters (either in a boat or on a plane) what nationality are you?
A pirate? As Peter said it isn't as simple as where you are born determines your citizenship, it is more who you are born to.

OzTennis