Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

HCA'S - Do they exist??!

HCA'S - Do they exist??!

Old Sep 25th 2009, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

Lois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really nice
Default HCA'S - Do they exist??!

Hi, i am a HCA (health care assistant) at our local hospital. Work a couple of nights a week in the Obs/Gynae sector, basically on the delivery ward and also the post natal wards before mums go home.

To do this job here you need no formal qualifications, you can take your NVQ's whilst working if you choose, but otherwise i think common sense and care/child experience accounted for alot at the interview i had.

The thing is i love my job and would like to do something similar in Oz (WA). Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a HCA or equivalent and whether qualifications are required. I have relatives in Florida who say that they have to study for 3 years to do something similar!

Alot of the time i can be a glorified cleaner after deliveries and making refreshments etc, other times in theatre with sections etc etc, so a vary varied role.

Just wondered if anyone could through some light on this one please!

Thanks
Old Sep 25th 2009, 3:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HCA'S - Do they exist??!

Yes, there are nursing assistants here in Aus.
In my experience, they are not allowed to do anywhere near what they could in the UK but I worked in the community & our NA worked at level 3.
Good luck to you
Old Sep 25th 2009, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HCA'S - Do they exist??!

HCA 's are not used anywhere near the extent that they are in the UK. The public hospitals have a limited number, but their roles are mainly toileting/showering. You wouldn't be taking obs/bloods or other things you do in the UK. The private hospitals don't have HCA's at all (or very minimal - the ones I have worked at). Most work for HCA'S (known as AIN's here - assistants in nursing) is in the aged care sector and you can do a certificate 3 in aged care at college - not sure if that's mandatory - but a lots of job ads specify it.