hayfever

Old May 2nd 2005, 9:38 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of
Default hayfever

Ok my turn for a daft question but if you had hayfever in the uk is it any better/worse in oz? no reason why it should be any better I guess but just wondered whats your experience thanks, for not laughing
Old May 2nd 2005, 9:47 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hayfever

Means nothing on an empirical basis, but I suffer from bad hayfever here in the UK, but didn't so much as sneeze on the lengthy visits I've made to Oz.As far as I know, most 'hay' fever is actually an alergy to tree pollen, so I'm hoping I'm leaving the pollen that affects me behind.
Old May 2nd 2005, 9:59 am
OZ in Sep -HOme at last

macnet1 will become famous soon enough

I suffer hey fever in the UK really bad, so does my wife... but whilst I was in OZ for two years I had no symptoms at all same with the mRs ....it was great a summer and no sneeezing !

Mac

Originally Posted by Hutch
Means nothing on an empirical basis, but I suffer from bad hayfever here in the UK, but didn't so much as sneeze on the lengthy visits I've made to Oz.As far as I know, most 'hay' fever is actually an alergy to tree pollen, so I'm hoping I'm leaving the pollen that affects me behind.
Old May 2nd 2005, 10:03 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by squeezzii
Ok my turn for a daft question but if you had hayfever in the uk is it any better/worse in oz? no reason why it should be any better I guess but just wondered whats your experience thanks, for not laughing
It depends on what you are allergic to.

Many people who change locations find that they are OK for a while but often they simply become sensitised to something else.

There is also the possibility that someone who never had hayfever in the UK will develop in Australia (or anywhere else ) because they encounter a new allergen
that they are sensitive to.

G
Old May 2nd 2005, 10:23 am
blossom

Our experience is the reverse. Our daughter suffered terribly from hay fever in Australia, but since being back home has rarely suffered. Although she has similar symptons with allergies especially with dust - but nothing like as bad as she suffered in Australia.

Blossom

Old May 2nd 2005, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all

Our experience was that it got worse. We are hoping when we get there that my husband and son will get used the 'new' pollen and hopefully get over it, but we went through a lot of anti-hystamines while we were there in December (we were in Melbourne).
Old May 2nd 2005, 10:50 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I suffer from allergies to various tree and grass pollens - still get it here in Qld, but not as bad.
I also have a horrendous sensitivity to dust - that has been horrendous in our unit as it was in a hollow and the dust used to gather in lumps. Here we are in an airy house on a hill with plenty of breezes and my nose and skin are improving greatly.
Never had hay fever in Tassie though - different pollens I guess.

Varies a lot, like areas of the UK I suppose.
Old May 3rd 2005, 2:43 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

I have had really bad hayfever for all my life in the UK, but since coming to Perth 3 years ago ive had practically none.
I went to the Doc in the UK before I left to try and get a huge prescription of my usual tablets, he said it was pointless as the pollens and things I was allergic to in the UK probably wouldnt exist in OZ....
Seems like he was right, Im still allergic to Grass if I sit on it etc, but some types seem to be better than others (Buffallo I think).
Dust still gets me sometimes, and the animals are the same, I was hoping dogs wouldnt set me off so we could get one, no such luck

Steve
Old May 3rd 2005, 2:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Like Grayling says above, it does take time for the allergy/hay fever to develop. My brother never had any allergy living in Hong Kong, even with the air pollution. And he was fine for the first 6 years he was studying in Canada, but in his 2nd or 3rd year at university, his hay fever was so bad that he had to get injections every April/May when it started getting warm so that he could actually study for his final exams in June.

I also have another friend who moved to Melbourne when she was a teenager who was fine for the first few years, but then she, her brother and mother all started getting hay fever gradually. Her dad is now the only person in the family who can be outside cutting the grass.

You won't know for a few years.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Old May 3rd 2005, 2:57 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

First year in Melbourne was shocking. I only used to get symptoms in the morning, here I got symptoms morning and evening. The next spring I was a lot better. The hayfever medicines here seem very expensive compared to UK. Not a pharmasist we used zirtek in the UK and it worked for us over here.
Old May 3rd 2005, 4:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I never had a sympton of any hayfever In England, After about 4 years here, I developed, severe hayfever, combined with 'seasonal' life threatening asthma.

Symptoms generally start around September and last through to early January, luckily so far the symptoms have only ever occurred then. Tests show that the culprit is 'rye grass' which apparently is the most common alergen in Australia, and especially bad around the Northern Suburbs of Melbourne.

I have to use a steroid puffer (preventer), plus ventolin, and use Telfast (cost for telfast about 32 aud for 30 tabs x 180 mg , which lasts 30 days).

Only symptom I had prior to the onset of the hayfever, was hives, which occured in Queensland, whilst on holiday when I first arrived.

It will be very interesting to see If I have any symptoms when I go for my holiday to the UK, in just over 3 weeks. (hmm this has reminded me I'd best pack my hayfever stuff !!! )

Last edited by ozzieeagle; May 3rd 2005 at 6:38 am.
Old May 4th 2005, 4:17 am
Forum Regular

CreditCardKing will become famous soon enough

I take steroids for my hayfever in OZ its much cheaper because you only need an injection every 3 months, the tablets from the chemist cost around $1.00 each. I was not able to get these in the UK since the doctor didn't approve of them unless you were a fireman or deep sea diver and you needed to be cured from hayfever to use breathing apparatus, but the doctors here think they are fine. This is the stuff.
SOLU-CORTEF VIAL-AOV 100MG you get 6 vials for the price of one.
Old May 4th 2005, 9:25 pm
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies hopefully will be snuffle free.....
Old May 4th 2005, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by HUP
The hayfever medicines here seem very expensive compared to UK.
I bought a pack of 7 hayfever tablets today from Tesco. They are Cetirizine dihydrochloride one a day tablets and Tesco's own brand. The cost? 99p. Must admit, I couldn't believe how cheap they were.

Nearest comparison I can find in Oz are Zyrtec tablets at $10.35 for 10 - http://www.pharmacydirect.com.au/PD_...rch=cetirizine
Old May 13th 2005, 11:04 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in country Victoria and suffer hayfever. It is much worse than in the UK for me. I do farm work and during October I have real trouble working in the paddocks due to hayfever symptoms. I find that the anti-histimines here have little effect on it either.

I'm moving to Melborne soon though so hopefully in the city it will not affect me as much.

First time I had hayfever over here it was really odd getting it at the wrong time of year??!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.